• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
Was he the mummy's boyfriend? How did he get near the wee girl in the first place? Could she have gone there on Monday to hurt him? That would be great, but I doubt it. Think she probably loves the dirty fucker more than she loved her daughter.

Mahoning Co. coroner ID's 2 of 3 victims in Youngstown fire

635633289318114215-Photo-1-7-.jpg

Marcia Braden holds up a picture of her son's 11-year-old daughter.
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio -- The Mahoning County Coroner's office has identified two of the three victims in a deadly Youngstown Fire that took place early Monday morning.

Dr. Joseph Ohr, a forensic pathologist with the Mahoning County Coroner's Office, said two of the victims were positively ID'd as William E. Schmidt, 63, and Corinne Gump, 10. Ohr says Gump was identified through a dental exam. Schmidt was ID'd via a unique tattoo and surgical hardware.

Dr. Ohr tells WKYC Channel 3's Hilary Golston William's wife, Judith A. Schmidt, 61, is believed to be the third victim based on her location and anatomical features, but there's not enough medical or dental evidence to make a confirmed ID yet.

Officials say the blaze happened just before 4:00 p.m., Monday morning. The fire's cause has not been determined yet, but several agencies, including the Youngstown Fire Department and Youngstown Police are investigating the case.

The child's paternal grandmother tells WKYC Channel 3's Mike O'Mara that she thinks the man accused of sexually assaulting Corinne had something to do with the blaze.

According to Mahoning County Commons Pleas Court, the girl was an alleged victim in a rape case against a Green Township man.

Robert Seman Jr., 46, was scheduled for trial on Monday. He was supposed to go on trial today on four counts of rape and four counts of gross sexual imposition.

Youngstown Police Sgt. Ron Barber tells Golston "nothing looks criminal" about the blaze thus far. Sgt. Barber says the police are involved because of the fact Corinne was an alleged victim in an ongoing criminal matter.

Coroner rules Youngstown fire victims died of smoke inhalation

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (WYTV) – Mahoning County forensic pathologist Dr. Joseph Ohr ruled Tuesday afternoon that the three victims killed in a house fire Monday morning on Powers Way all died of smoke inhalation.

Bill Schmidt, 63, was found in a bedroom. His wife, Judy Schmidt, 61, and their 10-year-old granddaughter, Corrine Gump, were found in another bedroom. WKBN waited until Tuesday to name Gump out of respect for her family and the South Range School District, where she was a student.

Ohr said he is not ruling on the manner of death until he gets the report from the fire investigator.

Earlier in the day, investigators used a small chainsaw to cut up pieces of material removed from the Powers Way home that was destroyed by the fire. Our news team saw evidence being marked and taken away in bags.

Investigators said it will be preserved for later use and could be analyzed by a lab if necessary. A crime scene investigator with the Youngstown Police Department, as well as an insurance representative, both took pictures of the home.

The Youngstown Fire Department and Ohio State Fire Marshal are working together on the investigation. Youngstown arson unit investigator Capt. Alvin Ware said the fire started in the basement, but the cause is still unknown.

While the investigation continues, so does the community’s support with a memorial on the home’s front lawn. Neighbors placed stuffed animals, flowers and even candles, that, despite the rain, kept burning in the victims’ memories.

“It is Easter time and these kids are, everybody is dropping off stuff at the house because the street is blocked off,” neighbor David Rowbotham said.

Jim Moody, who also lives down the street, stopped by after work to help with the memorial.

“I just came up to give my condolences. I have three young kids myself. Something like that, just hits at a parent’s heart,” Moody said.

So, is there still going to be a trial? He still needs to pay for what he did. So maybe his daughter won't have to go thru the same nightmare this other little angel had to endure.

Does that mean "mom" is hanging out with her daughter's rapist? Am I really reading that right?

My take is that the mother was once the perp's girlfriend, and his house was her address. Which is how he had access to the poor little girl for years of abuse. Since then the mother has either lost custody of the girl or dumped her on the grandparents. She has sunk into addiction or iniquity with no address except the prior address of the rapist. It suggests a pathetic or criminal tale. So it is possible she did not actually live at the house, just never gave any other address. Or is still involved with that vile rapist, despite turning him in? Nothing surprises me.
Because...DAMN... I see the pictures of the fire victims and it is just so sad.

Last edited:
She has sunk into addiction or iniquity with no address except the prior address of the rapist.
Here's where my raging cunt side will emerge, not directed at you but rather directed at the mother.

I don't give a fuck. You child was raped, you pull your head out of your motherfucking ass and take care of your business and the top, #1 priority is your injured child (emotionally and physically injured).

Short of the mother's death there is absolutely NO EXCUSE for her mother not being there for her every fucking second of this nightmare.

Short of the mother's death there is absolutely NO EXCUSE for her mother not being there for her every fucking second of this nightmare.
I agree with that. It is not really clear where the mother has been all this time. I certainly feel no optimism regarding the mother.

Could she have gone there on Monday to hurt him?

So it is possible she did not actually live at the house, just never gave any other address.

I guess the questions that need answering are:

1) Was this in fact her official address? (There must have been some reason for the police to seek here there?)
2) If yes, was she actually living there?
3) And if she was not living there (anymore), why was she there that afternoon?

"Another simple way to start a fire is the cigarette delay. This entails taking a cigarette, and placing the end between two open books of matches, with the match heads against the cigarette. Tie them together around the cigarette with string or a rubber band. Place this between cardboard boxes, newspaper, or whatever other flammable stuff you care for. This method will give you a five to ten minute delay, but don't count on specific times."

Cigarettes are now being manufactured with paper designed to extinguish the cigarette when not actively puffed. That down-'n-dirty timer/ignition source can't be as trusted to work at all anymore. Besides, even a rookie arson investigator with 5 minutes training would spot that in a heartbeat.

I guess the questions that need answering are:

1) Was this in fact her official address? (There must have been some reason for the police to seek here there?)
2) If yes, was she actually living there?
3) And if she was not living there (anymore), why was she there that afternoon?

According to this story, yes she actually lived with her daughter's molester (and abandoned her daughter with her parents in order to do so). Sick.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...hours-girl-died-house-fire-day-set-trial.html

Well, that settles it for me. I want the cunt to suffer for eternity in the fires of Hell. She may not have had anything to do with her daughter's death but she sure as fuck wasn't there for her when she needed her mother the most.

Slimy cunt is a disgrace to not just mothers but all females.

According to this story, yes she actually lived with her daughter's molester (and abandoned her daughter with her parents in order to do so).

Wow. Even I - somehow - am amazed at this. Here is a woman who makes other cunts look good. I just...can't comprehend it. After all I have read here, and elsewhere, and experienced in life...my mind is boggled. My jaw is on the fucking floor.

And as for "...she may not have had anything to do with her daughter's death..." I'm a little suspicious of that, too.

After all that poor child went thru...and then her mother abandons her for that lame fuck.

I just don't have any words left now. All I can do is HOPE - somehow - this cunt gets punished in the most horrible ways imaginable.

Hinky. The trial was about to start, he had his bond revoked for trying to bribe a witness, now an explosion and fire. Just hinky.

it could all just be a tragic coincidence and accident or it could be something much more sinister.

I know reading here will cause you to become much more suspicious of EVERYTHING, but it sure is quite the coincidence.

Wow. Even I - somehow - am amazed at this. Here is a woman who makes other cunts look good. I just...can't comprehend it. After all I have read here, and elsewhere, and experienced in life...my mind is boggled. My jaw is on the fucking floor.

And as for "...she may not have had anything to do with her daughter's death..." I'm a little suspicious of that, too.

After all that poor child went thru...and then her mother abandons her for that lame fuck.

I just don't have any words left now. All I can do is HOPE - somehow - this cunt gets punished in the most horrible ways imaginable.

Totally agree. I can't begin to comprehend how you get from point A) turning in your boyfriend when you learn he's molesting your child, to point B) abandoning that same child (who obviously needs your love and support more than ever before), to go back to the arms of the guy you turned in.

There's just no logic that can be applied anywhere to explain any of that to me. How the FUCK could you kiss, touch, make love, etc to someone who abused your 4 year old child over YEARS??

I still say this was on purpose maybe the mother came to visit and set the fire in the basement when everyone was asleep, there is just no fricking way it was a coincidence, or is is one lucky mother fucker for sure, and i bet he is creaming his jeans. someone needs to murder him.

Not only do I suspect the mother, but also by now we all know what an ankle bracelet is worth. We've seen case after case of crimes committed by people under house arrest with monitors.

I wonder if someone tampered with the furnace. Neighbors heard explosions. I suspect this fire is no coincidence. One of his family members or a cohort is behind helping him kill this child to avoid her testifying against him. IMHO

That's what strikes me as interesting, too @mybum62 - the explosions prior to the blaze. Even though the article says they weren't initially suspicious of foul play, I wish there was already a published report giving us a more detailed explanation of the source/incendiary agent(s) (natural gas, accelerant(s), etc.) they looked/tested for, the layout of the house and where the explosions occurred. Though this is far from exclusive, but when I think of "explosion," I think of natural gas, etc., in more of one big, house shattering boom unless there are also other explosives in the area that ignite as well. And, the neighbors did describe hearing multiple explosions, not just one one.

Not that smoke inhalation/oxygen starvation isn't a hell of an awful death, and fire can certainly catch and spread in seconds, but w/S.I. you will pass out intact before you die, which, IMO (just me) is preferable to being blown (or partially blown) to smithereens by explosions taking the chance you may not pass out/die immediately. The pain would be unimaginable. Yet, the pathologist had to ID the remains via dental records and a tat for fully intact smoke inhalation vics? They have to wash the bodies anyway before autopsy so the soot would've been removed. It sounds as if they died of S.I., but were also burned to a crisp. Good grief, I hope they passed out before they started to burn... :(

Cigarettes are now being manufactured with paper designed to extinguish the cigarette when not actively puffed. That down-'n-dirty timer/ignition source can't be as trusted to work at all anymore. Besides, even a rookie arson investigator with 5 minutes training would spot that in a heartbeat.
That only works with packages of cigarettes. If you buy tubes and tobacco and roll your own they still burn on their own because they generally aren't packed as tightly as store bought and air circulates through the tobacco. Also, you can get a store bought smoke to continue to burn if you leave the filter elevated beyond certain angles. Ex. if it's held vertically with the filter at the top, it burns faster than normal and won't go out due to the air current the heat and smoke create.

You could easily get around the cigarette paper issues, what you can't get around is the sulfur from the matches. Ignition points are almost always visible and now days are almost always tested for sulfur and other trace evidence. You'd have to be more creative then matches.

I was kind of hoping they died in their sleep from the smoke. They didn't. They knew the house was on fire :(
The three bodies were found on the second floor; all were out of their beds and the way their bodies were positioned looked as if they were trying to get out

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-house-fire-day-set-trial.html#ixzz3W8wxMaup

I wonder if they had natural gas. A house usually doesn't become fully engulfed that quickly.
A neighbor was jolted awake this morning by an explosion and seconds later saw the burning house across the street, with firefighters arriving soon after that.

[..]

“My feet hit the floor, and I looked at the clock. It was 3:41,” she said.

At first, the retired nurse thought a vehicle had hit a utility pole because her lights were flickering.

“The fire was coming out of the basement, and by the time I got to my front door, which was about nine steps, the whole thing was gone,” she said of the house, which, by then was fully engulfed in flames.

“You couldn’t tell there was a house there,” she added.

[..]

Fire Chief John O’Neill said 30 firefighters and nearly all of the city’s firetrucks were on the scene of the blaze.

“It was fully involved. We had quite a bit of fire in the basement, so that’s the likely origin,” he said. Engine 9 arrived first at the scene.

“They had fire all through the house, top to bottom,” he added.

“The floors were giving way almost immediately upon entry,” O’Neill said

Fire Capt. Perry Harrison of Engine 9 was injured when he fell through the first floor into the basement and was taken to St. Elizabeth Youngstown Hospital.

“He was banged up pretty bad, but I think he’ll be OK,” the chief said.
http://www.vindy.com/news/2015/mar/30/3-dead-south-side-fire/

That only works with packages of cigarettes. If you buy tubes and tobacco and roll your own they still burn on their own because they generally aren't packed as tightly as store bought and air circulates through the tobacco. Also, you can get a store bought smoke to continue to burn if you leave the filter elevated beyond certain angles. Ex. if it's held vertically with the filter at the top, it burns faster than normal and won't go out due to the air current the heat and smoke create.

You could easily get around the cigarette paper issues, what you can't get around is the sulfur from the matches. Ignition points are almost always visible and now days are almost always tested for sulfur and other trace evidence. You'd have to be more creative then matches.

Most definitely right on about roll your owns (that'd be a creative way around the safety bands), but as for commercial smokes here (probably the same type of papers as anywhere else in the world whose gone "fire safe", but idk for sure), it may work in theory and probably does with some brands more than others (no actual testing info I can find either way), but with the safety bands they incorporate into the papers now, it's almost impossible to keep them lit for any length of time no matter what you do to them - hit the filter too light, blow on the end of them to stoke them, turn them upside down to increase the burn (chem/physics), lay them at a 45 degree angle (as in an ashtray), or leave them otherwise unattended for more than a few seconds and they're out. I don't think I've met a smoker since they came out with them I haven't seen, talked to, or overheard who hasn't pitched a bitch fit about how inconvenient and annoying it is to have to keep relighting them. *L* It's definitely made smoking parents have to buy real punks for their kids to light fireworks on the 4th of July now, too. Never did like kids lighting them w/cigarettes anyway, so that's a good thing, IMO.

Agreed on not getting around the sulphur with matches, too. If nothing else, fire dogs can pick up the slightest scent, so even though that doesn't prove anything was deliberate (people do drop matches, kids play with them, etc.), it can be criteria for suspicious ignition.

Re: the arson method with the 'cigarette trick' @cubby described above which I remembered but couldn't remember exactly how it was done, all I could really find on a how-to was from the Animal Lib. anarchy group I ref'ed who gives a step by step instructions of how to do it (good, quick read, kinda like the Anarchist's Cookbook-type thing).

As for using "fire safety" cigarettes for arson, the only really comprehensive thing I could find (doesn't mean it's not there, just that I haven't found it yet) was from the National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA) here (it's a whopper of a site): http://www.nfpa.org/safety-informat...re-safe-cigarettes/about-fire-safe-cigarettes.

You're a google master and a fellow stat/report lover, are/were you able to find anything solid on whether or not it's still high risk for commercial cigarettes, or if there are any specific brands that're more flammable/likely to burn longer than others? I'm also not finding any diff. between any of the generics and the name brand smokes here either, so I'm assuming it's national manufacturing SOP for all commercially-produced smokes. I'm just talking regular, commercial cigarettes rather than all the little cigarillos, cigars, wraps, etc. that aren't made with the "safety" paper (purposely using quotes around "safety", et al).

The fact that investigators weren't initially treating this as a suspicious fire is really bugging the crap outta me (as described in my last post before this one). I just can't buy the "shit happens" thing with the situation and timing on this one. :confused:

Last edited:
I was kind of hoping they died in their sleep from the smoke. They didn't. They knew the house was on fire :(

I wonder if they had natural gas. A house usually doesn't become fully engulfed that quickly.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2015/mar/30/3-dead-south-side-fire/

Thx for the update. See? I addressed some of this same stuff in my earlier post. NOW they've changed 'neighbors hearing explosionS' to A neighbor hearing ONE exposion, which I'd commented would be expected with a natural gas explosion unless other combustibles ignited from the initial blast. And, since the pathologist stated they'd all three died of smoke inhalation, but there was no info on when/where/after how long the bodies were found, they had to be identified by dental records, a tat and something else which means they weren't just overcome by smoke. Bodies are washed at autopsy. I was hoping they'd passed out from S.I. before their bodies caught fire, too. Gawd, how unbelievably sad... :(

Last edited:
That only works with packages of cigarettes. If you buy tubes and tobacco and roll your own they still burn on their own because they generally aren't packed as tightly as store bought and air circulates through the tobacco

Not many people do roll-your-own tobacco cigs here. That is an anomalous condition due to regional social/economic norms. Lazy could be thrown in, too.
Also, the issue about burn angles is conditional. I've just done a "filter up" test, and it could not be reproduced as a full burn of 100% in three tries. So that one doesn't hold either.

are/were you able to find anything solid on whether or not it's still high risk for commercial cigarettes, or if there are any specific brands that're more flammable/likely to burn longer than others? I'm also not finding any diff. between any of the generics and the name brand smokes here either, so I'm assuming it's national manufacturing SOP for all commercially-produced smokes. I'm just talking regular, commercial cigarettes rather than all the little cigarillos, cigars, wraps, etc. that aren't made with the "safety" paper (purposely using quotes around "safety", et al).

Not many people do roll-your-own tobacco cigs here. That is an anomalous condition due to regional social/economic norms. Lazy could be thrown in, too.
Also, the issue about burn angles is conditional. I've just done a "filter up" test, and it could not be reproduced as a full burn of 100% in three tries. So that one doesn't hold either.

Haha. Here's something to take into account when doing tests, and something I didn't mention. All smoke manufactures have different "pack" amounts. Some cigarette manufactures have light pack amounts (the amount of tobacco in a cigarette). Brands like Pall Mall actually recommend packing yourself before opening. Flipping the package upside down and tapping it into your palm to make sure the tobacco is seated and properly packed. Other brands over pack. American Spirit, for example, suggest unpacking their smokes by rolling the cigarette between your fingers, filter to end, so that a pinch tobacco comes out. If you don't, it's to tightly rolled to smoke easily.

You can also use that trick to unpack some of the tobacco on any cigarette, making the air flow into it easier.

For @gatekeeper
Fire safe cigarettes, abbreviated "FSC", also known as lower ignition propensity (LIP), reduced fire risk (RFR), self-extinguishing, fire-safe or reduced ignition propensity (RIP) cigarettes, are cigarettes that are designed to extinguish more quickly than standard cigarettes if ignored, with the intention of preventing accidental fires. In the United States, "FSC" above the barcode signifies that the cigarettes sold are fire standards compliant (FSC).

Fire safe cigarettes are produced by adding six bands of fire retardant to the cigarette paper during manufacture in order to slow the burn rate at the bands. Because this process simply decreases the burn rate and does not prevent unattended cigarettes from igniting nearby materials or tinder, the term "fire-safe" has been called a misnomer which could lead to a false sense of security
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_safe_cigarette

I know in Canada the requirement for passing the safety cigarette isn't as fool safe as people assume. They only require that 75% of the time a smoke will go out. They allow a 25% margin of fail in there. That's fair sized for people who assume it will go out 100% of the time because it's marked as fire safe.

Rolling our own smokes is on the rise because of fire safe smokes. There are petitions to have the polymer they coat the papers with removed because of the potential risk to cause even more harm. Almost all states that have enacted the law have put in a 3 year clause, they will go back and look in 3 years to see if it actually changed statistics. Considering the amount of people that have been able to start fires with smoking materials, I'd say it doesn't work as well as they hoped.

In 2011, U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated 90,000 smoking-material fires in the U.S., largely unchanged from 90,800 in 2010. These fires resulted in an estimated 540 civilian deaths, 1,640 civilian injuries and $621 million in direct property damage; deaths were down substantially from the year before.
http://www.nfpa.org/safety-informat...arettes?categoryID=74&URL=Legislative updates

A FAQ about fire safe cigarettes(they claim the lower deaths are attributed to fire safe smokes, but do say in another article that stricter rules on fire retardant furniture and mattresses could part in it).

http://www.nfpa.org/safety-informat...re-safe-cigarettes/frequently-asked-questions

Several factors, including a decline in smoking and stricter fire resistant standards on mattresses and upholstered furniture have been credited with the decrease in smoking material fire deaths over the last 30 years. The most recent drops in fatalities and injuries, though, owe much to the “fire-safe” cigarette legislation.
http://www.nfpa.org/safety-informat...re-safe-cigarettes/about-fire-safe-cigarettes

Ha! Ty @Sudonim <3 I knew I came to the right place. :smug:

So, from the ref's, we could say it's certainly still possible at least 25% of the time and that the self-extinguishing bands greatly reduce but don't eliminate the chance of ignition. That's the statement I was looking for. I wasn't trying to be a lazy slacker, I just haven't been to sleep yet and know you're a smart cookie so I thought you may have already had the info I didn't/hadn't read completely yet.

I know nothing's ever foolproof and I always allow for the odd fluke/standard deviation (even though this one's really testing my fluke meter), but this is good personal information to have. With the new papers, in addition to what I've seen personally, I was pretty well putting the chances of a fire starting from them in the same category as a Science experiment a teacher of mine did back in jr. high where he showed us that you could throw a lit cigarette into puddle, container, etc., of gasoline and it would just put the cigarette out b/c it had to be a direct flame in contact with the liquid or vapor.

I'm one of those random trivia people who likes to pass on current, correct information when I have it, and I didn't realize the margin of error with these was still that high. I mean lightweight paper, for example, is naturally going to be more likely to catch fire from an indirect source/burning ember/smoldering ash, whatever, than heavier, more dense materials, but this still makes people who try to be covert about hiding their arsons by using today's cigarettes as incendiary devices without accelerants able to achieve it, though not as reliably.

At any rate, thanks again for the good info. This is one of those cases that's just sticking in my craw and I hope they're able to find out how it really happened. You'd think if someone had deliberately screwed with gas line(s) in the house, it would stink like sulphur like it's supposed to, but with them sleeping (I assume) they may not have noticed it (I would. I wake up if my cat farts :yuck: ). But, they'd still have to use a delayed ignition/incend. device to be able to get out themselves before it blew. As mentioned earlier, may it was something with the furnace (pilot light, burner unit, etc.)? If they were upstairs and the unit was downstairs or in a basement, it's possible someone could've been down there screwing with something w/o them knowing about it, esp. at that hour of the morning, IMO. Idk. The whole thing is just disgusting and so very sad.

Last edited:
@gatekeeper

Found this gem for you too. Look how many reports are going into consumer affairs about the fire safe cigarettes causing stuff to light on fire lol

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/health/fire_safe_cigarettes.html

Holy shit! These people are all saying the same things. Biggest complaint = the cherry keeps falling off every time they try to knock off the ash, so they're still causing fire/burn damage/hazards in addition to having to relight them! The other complaints are pretty specific and well-grouped, too. And that's only the Top 49. There's even people talking Class Action suits, lol!

I was coming back to say that I didn't really know about the "Fire Safe Cigarette" since I'm not a smoker. I had heard something about it but didn't really pay it any attention. But then I read all that you guys have research and find out it's not really all that and a bag of chops like they thought it would be, you can still burn stuff up with them 75% of the time. Thanks for all the information. Knowledge is power!

@Sudonim
The point isn't that they will sometimes stay lit, but rather, they will more often than not, go out. As such, I have to stand by my original statement that the cigarette & matchbook timer/ignition source isn't reliable enough to count on to do the job intended.
It would have been more reliable to loosen one of the gas pressure fittings slightly with a rag covered crescent wrench & let the pilot light to the dirty work. The gas, being heavier than air, would have pooled on the basement floor, rising like a fluid until it ignites. Hence the explosion(s).

Back