• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

bowling68

EH9ydZ4.jpg

Sassy

Bay County Chief Circuit Judge Kenneth W. Schmidt on Monday, March 30, sentenced Aaron A. Bellor to 180 days -- or about six months -- in jail with an additional 180 days deferred. Upon release, he is to serve three years' probation.

Bellor must also pay $500 in court fines and $250 in restitution. He is to obtain a general equivalency diploma, must not possess animals, and must continue mental health counseling.
During Bellor's trial, Bay County Assistant Prosecutor Jeff Stroud argued Bellor on the morning of Jan. 22, 2014, took a schnauzer named Sassy to rural Portsmouth Township and ran her over at least twice, killing her. Defense counsel Edward M. Czuprynski maintained Bellor did this as an act of euthanasia, as he had accidentally spilled boiling water on Sassy earlier that morning and panicked. Not knowing what else to do with the suffering dog, Bellor took her to a secluded area and euthanized her with his car, Czuprynski argued.

"This man who suffers from ADHD and is bi-polar ... faced a horrific experience that day, that morning," Czuprynski said before Schmidt imposed sentence on Monday.

"Having first accidentally ... scalding the dog with this water and this dog which had become attached to him ... all of a sudden, this horrific accident happens and this dog is in excruciating pain. Euthanasia at 8:30, 9 o'clock in the morning ... was really not an option (and) there's this money situation. He drove out, wandering, with no real intent and purpose, lets the dog out, the dog goes out in the field ... the dog comes back, and he runs it over.

"When he went out there and all of his options were weighed, it was decided and it was a decision that only he could have made and it's very easy for other people to second guess."

At that point, Schmidt interrupted Czuprynski.

"What if for a moment I believe your client was not telling the truth when he reported, unrefuted reported, that he inadvertently dumped scalding water on the dog?" Schmidt asked Czuprynski. "What if I don't believe that? What do you think I should do then? It is unrefuted because, how many witnesses were there? Zero. It's his testimony. Then everything that you're talking about is unimportant."
Schmidt gave Bellor a chance to speak before handing down the sentence.

"I would like to apologize for what happened that morning," he said. "The water was a total accident and I thought I was doing the right thing by putting her in a bathtub and putting cold water on her."

Bellor said he panicked when Sassy's skin started splitting and her hair began falling out.

"I can't take back what I done," he continued. "I've been in counseling for a year and three months now. I wanted to make sure I'm not the person people thought I was. I've come to realize I'm a pretty awesome person. From here on out, it's a new life for me. I've been dealing with this for a year now and I'm ready to move on."

Stroud then took the opportunity to address the court.

"It is mindboggling that the defendant would, in light of what happened to this animal, think it was humane to repeatedly run over her with a car," Stroud said. "That thought process should make us all concerned about how his mind works. It does defy common sense at some level. It defies common sense that he wouldn't call 911. It defies common sense that he wouldn't seek help for this animal. It defies common sense that he would destroy some evidence. It defies common sense that he would engage in this behavior at all."

After Stroud spoke his peace, Schmidt harangued Bellor directly.

"Frankly, Mr. Bellor, I don't believe you when you say it was an accidental scalding of the dog," the judge said. "The actions you took that morning suggest to me you're not telling the truth. Lying to your fiancée about what happened to the dog, going to a remote area of the country to get rid of the dog, releasing it into subzero weather and then running it over with a motor vehicle not once but more than once to kill the dog, to euthanize the dog.

"I don't have to buy the argument you and Mr. Czuprynski make. If it wasn't an accident to begin with, it's a terrible act, a terrible thing that you did. If it were an accident, then maybe the words would not be so hollow, but it my opinion, it wasn't an accident. Guess what? The jury didn't believe you either."

http://www.mlive.com/news/bay-city/..._county_judge_references_ge.html#incart_river

Ummm, wow.

I grew up in and still currently live in a very rural area. I know of more than a few dogs that were horribly injured (hit by cars or tractors, run-ins with porcupines, etc.) that the owners had to put down and did so without a visit to the vet, it was always done with a bullet, quickly. It may not be the right thing to do but it's the way it has been. This guy, dude, WTF, running the dog over, twice? WTF.

It is possible that this man caused a terrible accident. His choices were incredibly stupid, and cruel. Maybe they were just that - incredibly stupid, leading to the kind of stupid cruelty one expects from a drunken teenage male.
Then he said " I've come to realize I'm a pretty awesome person. From here on out, it's a new life for me."
That really grates my nerves. Even if it is typical bullsh*t from someone bi-polar and ADHD. (I have some experience with that kind of talk from someone I know well.) So we should give him a pass? No effing way. At the very least he needs to pay for stupidity.

That dog is adorable and this guy is a fucking monster. No way, he ran her over to end her pain. He ran her over so he didn't have a big vet bill, or get in trouble for burning her. Fucking pussy.

For a dog? The fuck?
People have called 911 for some dumber shit. If you don't have enough sense to get the animal to a veterinarian after you scalded the shit out of it 911 isn't a bad option. Beats taking the dog out and running it over a couple of times. Who has the stomach for that shit. At the very least put a bullet to the head and make it quick.

Back