• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

bowling68

A spokesman for the state Department of Corrections is confirming reports that prisoners at the Saginaw Correctional Facility were served some food last October that had been thrown in the trash.

The meals in question were meatballs “or some sort of meat products,” spokesperson Chris Gautz told the Saginaw News.

Apparently, an Aramark employee had thrown the food away before realizing more inmates still hadn’t been served. The employee, who has since been fired, then retrieved the food ” rinsed them off, reheated them in the oven and instructed the inmates to serve them.”

The inmates refused to serve the trash-food, so the fired worker and another Aramark employee served the inmates themselves.
Just two weeks ago, it was revealed that a kitchen worker at the Central Michigan Correctional Facility near St. Louis was fired after ordering cake that appeared to have been nibbled or pawed by rodents to be served to inmates. The incident, which took place last December, was among violations for which Philadelphia-based Aramark ended up paying a $200,000 penalty.
The governor has defended the decision to stick with the food vendor, saying the state was on pace to save $14 million a year through privatization. He also absolved Aramark of responsibility for suspected food poisoning and maggot problems.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2015/03/31/michigan-prison-accused-of-serving-inmates-garbage-literally/

Who fucking cares? They should be eating shit and garbage and rodent balls for all I care. I just hope those inmates were child molesters. That would make this a great story :devil:

Well... I'm sorry I don't feel so sympathetic.
.. but.. that is pretty fuckin nasty :yuck::vomit: some deserve to eat rat ass some probably don't. :shrug:

The governor has defended the decision to stick with the food vendor, saying the state was on pace to save $14 million a year through privatization. He also absolved Aramark of responsibility for suspected food poisoning and maggot problems.

Goddamn. I know Michigan needs to save some money, the poor, desperate state. But you don't knowingly let a contractor off the hook for shit like food poisoning. The very fact that this was made public means that the state will find itself liable for future occurrences, and that $14mil in savings can be eaten up pretty quickly. Yeah, pun intended.

Ladies, these aren't murderers and child molesters. This is a level I (minimum security) facility. It doesn't even have cells. Just open bunks. The decent people behind bars go to a place like this.

Not everyone behind bars is an animal.

And @Athena beat me to what I was about to say.

I fully and freely admit that there are some criminals that I simply don't give a fuck about. Feed them trash, rotten food, don't feed them at all, I don't give a fuck.

But then there are also other people who are criminals by virtue of their convictions that have simply made a mistake. They did something petty, and incredibly stupid but yet illegal so they are in jail, minimum security at that. We have members or member's families who have been young and dumb, some have just done something dumb, regardless, but have ended up in jail, it doesn't make them bad people and it stands to reason that not everyone in the facility was a truly bad person.

Agreed with @Athena and @Krystal. Not only that, but we're paying for this food, and we better be getting our moneys worth, not just shitty rotten food because they think they can get away with it. The meafballs (beef-like meat) thing especially pisses me off, because the leftovers should be sent elsewhere, not thrown away. Why anyone would throw good food away while our own country has starving people is atrocious. Lousy prison food or not, someone would eat it.

"You can judge a society by how well it treats it's prisoners."-Dostoevsky

Every human being on this planet deserves clean food and water.

Basic human rights for EVERYONE.

Agreed with @Athena and @Krystal. Not only that, but we're paying for this food, and we better be getting our moneys worth, not just shitty rotten food because they think they can get away with it. The meafballs (beef-like meat) thing especially pisses me off, because the leftovers should be sent elsewhere, not thrown away. Why anyone would throw good food away while our own country has starving people is atrocious. Lousy prison food or not, someone would eat it.
Better be getting our money's worth? What should we feed them then? Lobsters and filet mignon?
Serve them shit and make their time in there as miserable as possible. Maybe it will make them think when they get out.. "man, prison really sucks! I never want to go back there again. I should really get my shit together!"
But no, let's feed them delicious food and keep them warm and happy and get our money's worth

"You can judge a society by how well it treats it's prisoners."-Dostoevsky

Every human being on this planet deserves clean food and water.

Basic human rights for EVERYONE.
Coming from the person with Ted Bundy as a profile pic. :rolleyes:

Keep disagreeing with me.. I don't care. Ted Bundy didn't give his "prisoners" any basic human rights.

Coming from the person with Ted Bundy as a profile pic. :rolleyes:

Keep disagreeing with me.. I don't care. Ted Bundy didn't give his "prisoners" any basic human rights.

Ah yes, because an avatar can completely convey the personality of the individual behind it.

I certainly hope that none of your loved ones or children are subjected to such mistreatment.

Better be getting our money's worth? What should we feed them then? Lobsters and filet mignon?
Serve them shit and make their time in there as miserable as possible. Maybe it will make them think when they get out.. "man, prison really sucks! I never want to go back there again. I should really get my shit together!"
But no, let's feed them delicious food and keep them warm and happy and get our money's wort
I think your confused regarding my statement. My point is that regardless of what we feed them, if my money was spent on it (past tense), I better be getting my moneys worth. If you disagree with what the state pays for food, then take it up with your local candidates at election time. Personally, I rarely see anybody up in arms about prison food costs, though they should be.

Last edited:
Convicted baby-rapers, or baby-killers, rapists, murderers these folks I don't care what you feed them, or if you feed them. Someone that wrote some bad checks? Nope. Michigan is going to get screwed for this, and they ain't gonna get kissed...

Sadly, I live in Michigan...We are a poor State... *sighs*

The State is going to get screwed without the courtesy of LUBE. Ugh

But no seriously... If these guys are in a Level 1 Security Facility, then they are the ones getting caught for stealing candy bars and writing a few bad checks. They do not deserve this kind of treatment. Also, seeing as my tax dollars are paying for this then I am highly pissed off!

Ladies and Gentlemen: The Republican agenda in a fucking nutshell.

Let's save 14 million on the backs of the poorest and most vulnerable in our society, but I'm sure the govenor's class of friends, family, cronies and sycophants don't give up a thing, nor does he give a fuck about his office's responsibility all citizens of the state.:finger:

But no, let's feed them delicious food and keep them warm and happy and get our money's worth

The correctional officers. Do you realize that our decent treatment of prisoners is largely for the sake of correctional officers? You give prisoners a reason to riot... and they will. Notice how prison riots aren't as common as we used to see? That can be largely credited to our increasingly humane treatment of prisoners.

If we treat prisoners how you would like them to be treated, we are effectively sentencing our correctional guards to work in hell.

And everyone still thinks prison really sucks, I can assure you.

Just because you are in Prison does not mean you are a monster. You very well could have been guilty by association....or as I said...got caught stealing a damned candy bar or 2.... This is completely uncalled for.

Sure if these guys were rapists, pedos, murderers, serial killers... I'd be completely fine with it.
But they are not. So there for deserve to be treated as a human being.

My former high school uses Aramark, except they're the custodial company. Maybe those high school Aramark custodians could sell the school's food waste to jails all over the country? Reduce, reuse recycle!

O.M.FlippinG. How in the world did I miss this one and HOW did I know it was THEM when I read the title. Making deals with the Corp. devil strikes again. Warning: Righteous rant ahead.

Aramark is the exact same Detention/Prison "managed food service" company we sued, too (still there, too :mad: ). We had a FLOOD of inmates coming in with puke and diarhhea from head to toe and with every foodborne illness under the sun (some of whom we had to ship to the outside hospital), when these diabolical, disgusting MF'ers first took over all the food service contracts at our major jails and prisons.

They've paid off the inspectors and the Feds in this country so many times there isn't enough character space for all the friggin' zeroes it'd take to post the estimate alone.

*Wanna read one of THE main reasons Correction's Officer's, Deputies and jail officer's jobs in this country are SO much more dangerous than they have to be?

*Wanna read about one of THE biggest reasons inmates in this country RIOT?

*Wanna read about one of THE main reasons inmates set their mattresses on fire, get in fights from being irritable and pissed off all the time, and/or what kind of shit PRE-TRIAL inmates in jail later found to be INNOCENT in this country (in addition to the guilty ones) have to go through b/c they were never supposed to be arrested in the first place?

I know this link is way too long to keep anyone's attention for too long (contains medical case info, too), but next to my rant about a certain Contracted Healthcare company operating under a new name in this country after the Feds shut them down for despicable practices and killing people, this one's #2. I hope somebody FINALLY does something about these f**kers right here:

From PrisonLegalNews.org:
https://www.prisonlegalnews.org/news/2006/dec/15/aramark-prison-food-service-with-a-bad-aftertaste/

/rant :rage:

ETA: Oops, posted this right after reading the article before reading any responses. Have barely scanned yet, but it looks like some folks have already addressed the riot issues and staff danger factors. <3

Last edited:
The correctional officers. Do you realize that our decent treatment of prisoners is largely for the sake of correctional officers? You give prisoners a reason to riot... and they will. Notice how prison riots aren't as common as we used to see? That can be largely credited to our increasingly humane treatment of prisoners.

If we treat prisoners how you would like them to be treated, we are effectively sentencing our correctional guards to work in hell.

I guess I didn't think about it like that.. score another one for Athena for making me second guess myself!

I agree. My man works in a prison been there 15 yrs. He said the new young bucks have a chip on their shoulder and someone is going to get hurt. You don't have to kiss their feet but you don't have to be a bully and start shit either.

Privatizing isn't going to stop as long as lawmakers get paid to vote for it. The sad fact is that money is more important than actually representing the people. They would privatize the very air you breathe if they could get away with it. And, who knows, maybe eventually they can. Frightening.

My son, two days after his 18th birthday, was arrested and charged with DUI. He took every test the officer asked him to and passed. They gave him a breathalyzer that the cop deemed "not working" when it registered nothing at all.
So they brought him in on charges of DUI. He's my youngest of four, and the thought of having a child in jail... oh man. Hysterical doesn't even cover it.
So I called and asked what his bond was. I mean, he had no record and just the one charge. They said it was $6,000 (they found some computer keyboard cleaner, one jar halfway full and added to his charges "selling glue/inhalents." It was my bottle of cleaner, I'd used maybe half of it and had my son take the rest to his Dad, as it did a good job on my keyboard.
His dad was all for letting him stay in until trial (12+ days) Ludicrous! If he drank, it wouldn't kill me, but I'd know it. And if he huffed some duster (walkin' on Sunshine, heh) I'd know it. I didn't have the funds to get him out, but no way was I leaving him in. He's 5'3 and weighs maybe 120. In his mugshot he was crying.... too much for this mom to ignore.

So I offered all I had, my truck, to a bondsman for his release. The ex-husband found out and coughed up the $600 (10%) under the stipulation that if he was guilty of ANYthing, he would no longer be welcome at his dad's house, and "I could have him" as he put it (in my stuidio apartment... not much but a damn sight better than jail!)

His hearing came, and there was 0% of ANYTHING in the blood they took: No alcohol, drugs, not even weed and CERTAINLY not computer duster. The film of his sobriety test given on the street was enough for the judge to dismiss the entire thing and wish him well. I smied sweetly at the cop who was so quick to judge my boy by the gauges in his ears (or whatever the fuck he judged him on.) Weird, he didn't smile back! Appalling, I say, damned appalling! (Heh.)

I say that to say this: Not everyone incarcerated is guilty of a crime. My son began college, as planned, just bought his first car, and I don't know what I did to deserve it, but I got one myself a hell of a young man. And his father didn't need to make good on his promise not to let him back in his home of 18 years, he's never expressed any desire to go anywhere near there. The logic that if a man's locked up he deserves to eat after vermin and God knows what is ridiculous. Free men aren't all alike, nor are incarcerated ones. My son was 100% innocent, and for anyone to imply he deserved to eat trash is repulsive and ridiculous. Seems it's the people who enjoy feeling superior to others (warranted or not) are the ones who yell, "Sure, feed 'em shit!" Shadenfreude at it's most deplorable. Those who are gladdened by another's mistreatment are some dangerous folks indeed. Word.

Sadly, I live in Michigan...We are a poor State... *sighs*

The State is going to get screwed without the courtesy of LUBE. Ugh

But no seriously... If these guys are in a Level 1 Security Facility, then they are the ones getting caught for stealing candy bars and writing a few bad checks. They do not deserve this kind of treatment. Also, seeing as my tax dollars are paying for this then I am highly pissed off!

Did you vote no on prop 1? Gonna fess up, hubby asked me if i voted...me totally forgot. I hate when I do that. He had to rub it in that he voted...

Short story...
We moved to FL in the late '80's (now you all know that I am old). It was very, very important that young people voted otherwise all those old folk gonna take over. :shifty:

Anyways, state of Michigan already screwed up...never going to recover economically wise, unless someone brings in a new business 'cuz automotive is not cutting it. But if anyone is interested there are a lot of empty manufacturing buildings around. *no, i am not getting a kickback from the local RE Agent...although I may look into it:spy:**

@TaupinJohn...really...you could have started with the last paragraph :bored:

*I am so on my way to hell:devil:...Really shitty couple of days...*

Back