• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Forensicwx

Final Roll Call 4153. STLCO 10-42 10/13 @ 1519
2vnjed5.jpg

A 74-year-old man's wife watched in horror as her husband was crushed to death by a tombstone as they hung Easter decorations at their family plot Monday morning, police said.

Stephan Woytack of Scranton, Pa., was tying a cross around the grave marker in Throop's Saint Josephs Cemetery when its top unexpectedly tilted off its base, Throop Police Officer Andy Kerecman told the Daily News.

"It landed across his waist and it pinned him," Kerecman described the horrifying scene just before 10:30 a.m.

The man's shocked wife initially tried moving the massive stone herself before desperately running for help instead, he said.

"She literally, when it fell over, she ran and they're in their 70s — 74, 73. She probably ran a good 200 yards because the caretaker just happened to come to the cemetery," he said.

When Kerecman arrived he saw the caretaker trying to move the monument as well, but again without success.

"There is no way that any one person could lift that up," Kerecman said. "It was a pretty heavy stone."

took the caretaker's and Kerecman's joined strength to finally free the man, but by then it was too late.

"It crushed him," Kerecman said.

The victim, who Kercman said was described to him as a deeply religious man who was "very active in church," was given his last rites at the scene by a nearby priest, he said.

"It's just a terrible, unfortunate accident. I've never seen anything like that. I'm going on almost 30 years," Kerecman said while further describing it as "freaky."

The caretaker said the couple regularly stopped by and recently purchased two plots in the cemetery, according to Kerecman.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...lled-falling-tombstone-cops-article-1.2167345

Now, that's just weird. Being crushed to death. Poor man. I hope he went unconcious before he felt too much pain. Crush injuries are awful. I can only imagine how his wife must've felt when she finally got home alone after something like that.

It was a family plot, it was a family member that squashed him. They only recently bought their own plots, but have been visiting the family plot for years.

I just got the creeps thinking it could have been a spiritual phenomenon. Revenge from the grave? :nailbiting:

Sad for him to die in such a manner before his wife. Now she'll have more pain to bear when visiting the cemetery. :(

My theory - one of his family members is the second coming of Jesus and is trying to rise from the dead and knocked over the gravestone. And this time, Zombie Jesus II requires BLOOD :devil:.

I wish I was clever enough to start a church with this and become a millionaire. Unfortunately, I'm just not a believable type of person, like a science fiction writer or someone like that :(

Stephen Woytack Obituary - Scranton, PA | Scranton Times
Stephen A. Woytack, Scranton, formerly of Throop, died Monday. His wife is the former Lucy Ann Gardner. The couple celebrated its 46th wedding anniversary on Sept. 14.

Born in Throop, son of the late John and Katherine Rabel Woytack, he was a graduate of Throop High School and a member of the Pennsylvania Army National Guard. Before retirement, he was employed as a chef for the Scranton State School for the Deaf. He was a member of Mary, Mother of God Parish at Holy Rosary Church, where he was a Eucharistic minister, usher and altar server. He was a former member of the Green Ridge Lions Club. He was a kind and loving husband and faithful church volunteer who enjoyed golf and working in his garden.

Surviving are a niece, an aunt and several cousins.

He was also preceded in death by his grandmother, Johanna Woytack, who raised him from birth and whom he loved dearly. He considered her as a mother. He was also preceded in death by a brother, John Woytack Jr.

Is there a friggin' picture of this stone anywhere? Cause I'm having a hard time understanding this. Was it the size of a Volkswagon or something?

Is there a friggin' picture of this stone anywhere? Cause I'm having a hard time understanding this. Was it the size of a Volkswagon or something?

Headstones are very heavy. I lived within walking distance of an old cemetary. It was separated from nearby fields by a 4' chain link fence. Something happened one night and the cows that stayed in those fields knocked down the fence and trampled the cemetary. A bunch of headstones were knocked down. I found that I couldn't even lift one of the smaller ones.

Back