• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Oberle

Trusted Member
I'll admit I'm not world's best driver, and I've even followed my GPS (Siri) into some very silly places looking for roads the GPS had no idea how to actually reach, but even I would never skirt "numerous barricades and warnings" to follow what the GPS is saying. Also, nice job leaving the wife in the car to burn, dude. :rage:

A stark reminder to not let your GPS rule your common sense: In East Chicago, Indiana, a man drove off a ramp to a bridge that no longer exists, injuring himself and killing his wife, the Times of Northwest Indiana reports. Husband Iftikhar Hussain, 64, was the one at the wheel, per the Chicago Sun-Times, and police believe he skirted numerous barricades and warnings as he listened too closely to the guidance of his GPS. The car fell almost 38 feet, and while Hussain survived the incident, his wife, Zohra, didn't.

Iftikhar Hussain apparently escaped the car before it burst into flames; he was hospitalized and reported in stable condition, the Times notes. "The Cline Avenue bridge is marked with numerous barricades including orange barrels and cones, large wood signs stating 'Road Closed' with orange striped markings," a sheriff's rep says. "There are concrete barricades across the road to further indicate the road is closed." The couple, from Chicago, Ill., appears not to have known the area well; they were believed to have been visiting relatives.​

http://www.newser.com/story/204708/driver-blindly-follows-gps-off-bridge-kills-wife-cops.html

Why is it idiots always survive? I mean, this is just against the grain of evolution. Or maybe this is why we're evolving in the wrong directions.

Either that or he had a very bad visit with his wife's relatives and came up with a plan to get rid of her and cut ties to the family. This site has definitely warped my mind :shifty:

Mine too, although the crash could have killed them both, so it was probably an accident (or a failed murder-suicide?). He definitely doesn't seem to have been all that concerned with her well-being after the falling car landed though:

"Hussain then exited the vehicle and ran, leaving his wife behind in the passenger seat, just moments before the car became engulfed in flames, police said."

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/71/477166/north-side-woman-dies-crash-nw-indiana

My d-i-l turns that damned thing on every time we get in her vehicle. It doesn't matter that we're going somewhere she has driven hundreds of times. :rolleyes:

My friend's D-I-L is like that, she has a new car with all the fancy gadgetry built right in. She syncs up her phone, then has gps instuctions from the phone and the car! It's helpful as long you are going someplace that is well traveled, in my neck of the woods sometimes it's right sometimes it's not.

"The Cline Avenue bridge is marked with numerous barricades including orange barrels and cones, large wood signs stating 'Road Closed' with orange striped markings," a sheriff's rep says. "There are concrete barricades across the road to further indicate the road is closed."

What. A. Dumb-fuck. :facepalm:

My d-i-l turns that damned thing on every time we get in her vehicle. It doesn't matter that we're going somewhere she has driven hundreds of times. :rolleyes:

OMG. I wonder if she does that so she can shut her mind down while driving? Scary thought! :nailbiting:

I'll admit I'm not world's best driver, and I've even followed my GPS (Siri) into some very silly places looking for roads the GPS had no idea how to actually reach, but even I would never skirt "numerous barricades and warnings" to follow what the GPS is saying. Also, nice job leaving the wife in the car to burn, dude. :rage:

A stark reminder to not let your GPS rule your common sense: In East Chicago, Indiana, a man drove off a ramp to a bridge that no longer exists, injuring himself and killing his wife, the Times of Northwest Indiana reports. Husband Iftikhar Hussain, 64, was the one at the wheel, per the Chicago Sun-Times, and police believe he skirted numerous barricades and warnings as he listened too closely to the guidance of his GPS. The car fell almost 38 feet, and while Hussain survived the incident, his wife, Zohra, didn't.

Iftikhar Hussain apparently escaped the car before it burst into flames; he was hospitalized and reported in stable condition, the Times notes. "The Cline Avenue bridge is marked with numerous barricades including orange barrels and cones, large wood signs stating 'Road Closed' with orange striped markings," a sheriff's rep says. "There are concrete barricades across the road to further indicate the road is closed." The couple, from Chicago, Ill., appears not to have known the area well; they were believed to have been visiting relatives.​

http://www.newser.com/story/204708/driver-blindly-follows-gps-off-bridge-kills-wife-cops.html

Was this stupid, fuck blind???

I know. I remember one where the person followed the GPS onto a railroad track. Really?

I remember traveling years ago at night through a huge construction zone in an unfamiliar area. I was very confused and I can understand a man of this age possibly new to the GPS thing and elderly having this difficulty. I wonder if this happened at night. I remember being terrified driving through it but I made it obviously. I know it wasn't his intention to kill his wife. I also believe there may not have been time after he got out of the car to reach his wife before the car burst into flames. I'm sure he's devastated to have lost her.

Back