• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Oberle

Trusted Member
Animal hoarders, I hate em! It's cruel and disgusting. :rage: I won't say it's inhumane, cause no other species would be responsible for this kind of crazy nastiness. At least the animals and the child are out of the toxic environment.

Anyone know what chinchilla pee smells like? If they're anything like other rodents, it must have been pretty rank in that house—even beyond the ammonia. That house is not only uninhabitable, it may be irreclaimable.

Police who went to a home in Waukesha, Wis., yesterday to carry out a "well-being check" were hit with the overwhelming smell of ammonia—and quickly realized that smell was thanks to animal urine from the 331 chinchillas living in cages on the first floor. The house was also "unkempt," as the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel puts it, and there were almost two dozen dead chinchillas in it as well. The Fire Department determined the home was uninhabitable after assessing the ammonia levels, and the 331 living chinchillas were taken in by the Humane Animal Welfare Society of Waukesha County.

The adult residents of the home confessed to breeding the small rodents for sale; they planned to get a hotel while the home was aired out. A child living in the home is staying elsewhere, WISN reports. An investigation is underway and city health and building inspectors will probably get involved, but it's not clear if a criminal investigation will factor into the situation. As for the Humane Society, the influx of rodents—plus two cats that were also removed from the home—has required it to call in extra help.
http://www.newser.com/story/204712/home-declared-uninhabitable-thanks-to-chinchilla-pee.html

Last edited:
These people make me so angry! They think of nothing but all that money to be made and then don't take care of their "product". Obviously, they didn't have a clue what they were doing which is how they ended up with so many. Evidently, chinchillas aren't selling as well as these idiots thought.

WHOAAA!!!! 331 chinchillas? OMG!!! The air must have been so polluted it would be like walking into a caustic mist!

And only one child? It's a well-known phenomenon that crazy people breed like rabbits and I was counting on the discovery of at least FIVE kids, the youngest found in cages.

WAUKESHA -- Crews found clutter, dangerous levels of ammonia, and cages of chinchillas inside one Waukesha home. Among the mess lived three children.

Hundreds of chinchillas [...] the Humane Animal Welfare Society – after being rescued from what police describe as a hoarder home.

“When you see 300 chinchillas in one place, it’s kind of shocking!” expresses Jennifer Smieja of HAWS.

[...] police did a welfare check at this house, they found chinchillas in the living room and dining room, plus dead ones in the garage and freezer. A neighbor [...] had no idea they were inside all along.

“When they opened the window, you could smell it. It was awful! It smelled like dead animals!” said the woman.

Crews worked fast to remove boxes of animals.

“We counted 26 wire cages going into the house. There were two chinchillas per cage. Then when they ran out they had to use plastic totes,” added the neighbor.

[...]

Again, three children lived in the home - ages seven, nine and 17. Authorities are still considering charges but say they will include child neglect.

http://www.jrn.com/tmj4/news/More-than-300-chinchillas-found-inside-Waukesha-home-298065461.html

Back