• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Jessiesgirl1108

Chameleon
If what the neighbors are saying is true, I really hope they get this boy some help and don't just throw him in a jail cell.

A 19-year-old man has been charged with murder and aggravated assault in Philadelphia stabbings that killed his mother and left his grandmother clinging to life, after what neighbors have described as years of mistreatment.
Zachary Pritchett was arrested following the deadly incident early Friday at a home in the Bridesburg section of the city.

[...]
Pritchett's 73-year-old grandmother, Joan Wiley, was taken to Aria Torresdale Hospital in critical but stable condition.
Police said Pritchett, who suffered a laceration to his hand, initially blamed the attack on three unknown men in hooded sweatshirts who he claimed had broken into their home, reported Fox29, but his version of events did not add up.
According to the family's neighbors, the 19-year-old was very troubled and the violent domestic attack was years in the making.
Area resident Kelly McGrath told 6ABC Melizza Wiley seldom allowed her son out of the house, and most nights he could be heard screaming from the back room.
Another neighbor, Stephanie Carbonaro, said on the eve of the killing, she and her house guests overheard Zachary Pritchett screaming at someone in the house, 'Please, leave me alone. Don't do this. Let go.'
Officers who responded to the family's residence found deplorable conditions inside, including no running water, no cooking gas and human feces smeared on the floor.
Throughout the day Saturday, investigators were seen coming in and out of the house wearing full protective gear and surgical masks.

[...]
Police said they have a history with the family and have responded to the home no fewer than a dozen times within the past year alone.
Neighbors said they have contacted the Department of Human Services multiple times because they were concerned for Zachary Pritchett’s welfare.
Kelly McGrath also reached out to the local school board to inquire about the 19-year-old’s education because Melizza Wiley was supposed to be home-schooling her son, but the neighbor was convinced she was not doing it.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-feces-filled-home-no-gas-running-water.html

Looks like we're reading about one epic failure here.

A dozen police calls in a year, deplorable conditions, questionable "home-schooling", ear witnesses to abuse. I wonder about a CYS involvement?

Why is there ALWAYS shit everywhere? Is there like a handbook that lists criteria for an abusive environment?? I gag changing the freaking diaper pail. The idea of shit everywhere makes me want to puke.

How awful. If his abuse is true, hopefully this is will enable him to get the help he needs and a brighter future.

Police said they have a history with the family and have responded to the home no fewer than a dozen times within the past year alone.
Neighbors said they have contacted the Department of Human Services multiple times because they were concerned for Zachary Pritchett’s welfare.

This

*drops head* ... Between the laughter at the funny stuff and this second story that's caused my eyes to mist up this morning, I'm feel like I'm on an emotional rollercoaster. This isn't right. All these years later and it's still not even close to right.

It was so much better when I was a kid and the city/county/state/feds were still doing a decent job of putting endangered kids before the almighty dollar. Then came that whole "Preservation of the Family" bullshit scam to justify leaving these kids at home so they could keep stealing even more money out the Social Service/Mental Health budgets.

CPS, SW's and life in the system was far from perfect, but goddamnit, at least they had the time, the staff, the resources, the facilities, and the funding to help so f**king many more of us than they do today. Who knows, if he's not victimized maybe prison'll be the most stable home he's ever known. Great job, America... *lump in throat*

Last edited:
Looks like we're reading about one epic failure here.

A dozen police calls in a year, deplorable conditions, questionable "home-schooling", ear witnesses to abuse. I wonder about a CYS involvement?

CYS = child and youth services? And what do you mean, you wonder about a CYS involvement? (See, I'm paying attention. ;))

CYS = child and youth services? And what do you mean, you wonder about a CYS involvement? (See, I'm paying attention. ;))
Yes, in northern PA we have CYS instead of the more familiar CPS. They're the same just different acronyms. It's possible Philadelphia also has CYS too, I'm not sure that's about 4 hours from me.

Yes, in northern PA we have CYS instead of the more familiar CPS. They're the same just different acronyms. It's possible Philadelphia also has CYS too, I'm not sure that's about 4 hours from me.

Thanks! It sounds like the neighbors were doing the right thing and contacting authorities about potential abuse, lack of actual home-schooling, etc., but the system completely failed.

How many times have you read a story like this and the neighbors just ignored it and Social Services said they were never made aware of it and didn't know to investigate. This time neighbors did what they are morally expected to do but Social Services failed their part and apparently the Police Department did too we are damn sure his family did! With the given information that shit was everywhere and deplorable conditions, what more needs to be presented before Social Services gets involved or the Police Department takes it further than just answering a call FFS! Why can't all the sides ever get it right together on the most obvious of cases!

I want to know more facts. It sounds like the mother and grandmother both abused him over the years.

I hope it goes his way...But I don't think it will because he lied about intruders. That must of been hard to watch the social workers come and go and each time leave him there....like he's nothing.
He lived that....wow!

He spent almost 20 years in one nasty shit filled prison only to most likely have to spend who knows how long in another nasty shit filled prison.

He was 19, could have and should have left. Sad history is no excuse for a crime like this.

He was 19, could have and should have left. Sad history is no excuse for a crime like this.

I get your point, but I don't agree with the first line of your comment. Some people don't leave situations like this cause they don't know how to get out. I'm not excusing what he did, but we don't know how mentally delayed he was after the years of abuse and neglect he suffered. Maybe he felt he had no where else to go or no one to help him out of the situation considering the cops and cps had been involved in the past and nothing was done to help him get out.

Back