• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

gatekeeper

Loves the "Funny" Button
Cop-aiming-gun-300.jpg

Random Photo​
A Jacksonville police officer shot a man multiple times Sunday morning after, Sheriff’s Office officials said, he took the officer’s Taser during a struggle and pointed it at the officer.

The shooting followed a foot chase that began when police responded to a 911 call reporting a domestic dispute, heard a woman screaming and discovered a woman being strangled by a man on top of her inside an apartment at the Cleveland Arms apartment complex about 8:45 a.m.

Devanta DeJuan Jones, 22, was shot at least four times by Officer Cliff Sames of the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office. The shooting happened after Sames and another officer tried unsuccessfully to stun the man, later identified as Jones, three times with their Tasers during the pursuit in which Jones kicked in the door, then ran through a neighboring apartment occupied by a mother and three children. Jones also tried but failed to force his way inside two other apartments during the foot chase, said Director Tom Hackney of the Sheriff’s Office.

Jones was in critical but stable condition after undergoing surgery at UF Health Jacksonville, Hackney said.

Jones’ brother, Rakeeme Joyner, along with other family and friends were among a crowd of about 50 people — angry, distraught and demanding answers from the Sheriff’s Office — who gathered in the apartment complex and across the street from its entrance as news of the shooting spread.

Joyner said his brother was unarmed and was shot while running away from police. He also said Jones was the one who called 911. Joyner and others demanded to know why police shot Jones so many times.They also called for Jacksonville police officers to wear body cameras.

At one point, several in the crowd held up hand-made signs saying “Stop Killing Us!,” “Don’t Shoot to Kill! Leave Us Alone!” and “Another with No Gun.” They also started chanting, “JSO means Just Shot One,” and “Don’t Shoot to Kill.”

One man with a bull horn blasted the words of the late Khalid Abdul Muhammad, a black activist known for racially inflammatory speech who died in 2001.

Hackney said Sames fired six shots at Jones at close range. It is the third police-involved shooting involving Sames, who is an eight-year Sheriff’s Office veteran, Hackney said.

In 2008, Sames was on patrol when he was shot in the neck by a stranger who suddenly pulled a gun on him and started shooting. Sames and his partner fired back, killing the 22-year-old gunman, Chester Elliott. Police said Elliot attacked Sames for an unclear reason.

In 2014, Sames was investigating a hit-and-run when he came under fire from a Jacksonville man armed with an AK-47 rifle. Sames shot back and wounded 23-year-old Devon Rashad Spencer in the shoulder and upper leg, records showed.

Sunday’s shooting, Hackney said, resulted from Jones’ decision to fight police.

“This subject who was involved in this had multiple opportunities to comply with the officer. Obviously, he didn’t have to put his hands around the neck of this woman and try to strangle her,” said Hackney, noting that the man escalated the situation until ultimately he was shot.

He also said the man “took the matter into his own hands by continuing to resist the arrest, by continuing to flee, by committing another crime — breaking into an occupied residence — and by fighting Sames and taking away his Taser.

“That officer had a reasonable expectation to believe that if that Taser is used on him, then that officer could become disarmed of his firearm and that firearm could be used against him,” Hackney said. ”This man has shown a propensity toward violence, and a propensity of dangerousness to the community …”

Hackney said the first officer, whose identity wasn’t released, heard a woman screaming from inside the apartment, went inside and saw a man on top of a woman strangling her in a back bedroom. That officer ordered the man to stop, then pointed his Taser, which has a red laser light indicating it is ready, at the man who saw the red dot and stopped strangling her. Sames arrived and told the man to move over and get on his knees because he was under arrest. The man initially complied but as Sames tried to handcuff him, he wrestled and fought with Sames and the first officer before running out of the apartment, Hackney said.

Hackney said the first officer fired his Taser at the fleeing man but missed. Sames then fired his Taser, but its probes struck the apartment door as the man slammed it behind him. With both officers in pursuit, the man ran to an apartment and banged on the door. As the officers got closer, he kicked in the door of a second apartment and ran inside as Sames chased him, Hackney said.

“That apartment was occupied by a woman and her three children, a 12-year-old, an 11-year-old and an 8-year-old. She knew him only as a neighbor. She heard him beating her door, comes out and sees him inside her living room. She’s obviously upset and concerned, and the subject flees out the back door,” said Hackney, adding neither the woman nor her children were hurt.

Hackney said the man then ran and banged on the front door of a third apartment in another building. Sames feared the man might get inside. Throughout the chase, the officers yelled orders for the man to stop but he refused. Sames then took out his Taser and fired it, striking the man with the probes, he said.

“But for whatever reason, the Taser didn’t have the effect on the man. … The subject either fought through the Tase or it didn’t affect him like it should have,” said Hackney.

Hackney said as Sames moved to physically arrest the man, a struggle ensued and the man disarmed Sames of his Taser. The man took full control of the Taser, then pointed it at Sames, who then put some distance between them, Hackney said.

“The officer discharges his department-issued [.40-caliber Glock] firearm at the subject and the subject is hit in his extremities as well as in his chest,” said Hackney, adding that Sames then went and got his first aid kit and administered emergency aid to the man until Jacksonville Fire and Rescue paramedics arrived and took over.

“He was shot multiple times but none of the bullets that hit him are life-threatening. The surgeon said it’s going to be touch-and-go for a little while, but the most important thing is that he lived, and is going to be OK,” said Joyner, who is assistant director of Metro Kids Konnection Inc., a nonprofit community program for at-risk children and youth.

However, Joyner said, the shooting was unnecessary.

“I’m very happy that my brother is going to be OK. But this is a much deeper problem than what’s being addressed,” Joyner said. “The police are going to leave this scene and they are going to go home to their safe home. … By them being part of the law, that protect and serve only applies to those behind the badge. That doesn’t apply to us.”

On Sunday, the crowd at the shooting scene came and went. But one constant emerged: Many were angry at the Sheriff’s Office as well as city government. Several people accused police of being trigger-happy and unwilling to talk out problems with residents. They also said resident concerns routinely are ignored by City Hall.

“The demonstration that was sparked in the short time between us finding out what happened and the information I just received [about his brother’s condition], honestly is just the tip of the iceberg. Because as you can see, there are a lot of people who are unhappy with the results we have been receiving in this country,” Joyner said.

Joyner called for calm and urged people not to run from or fight police.

“Something has got to change. … We all have to figure out a way to get along. We all must figure out a way to work out our differences because it’s becoming very, very evident that the police are not on our side …,” Joyner said.

“Anybody who is watching this or listening, I encourage you, don’t want you to get belligerent or get beside yourself. If you ever get into an altercation with police, any police officer, don’t run. Do not resist arrest. Do not do anything that is going to endanger your life. … ”

Joyner emphasized people shouldn’t give police an excuse to shoot.

“Please take heed, don’t run from the police because they will shoot you and they will kill you. And nine times out of 10, they’re going to be justified for doing it. You are just going to have a bunch of people sad, hurt, confused and with a bunch of mixed emotions that seem to come out of nowhere,” said Joyner, adding that whenever someone is shot by a police officer, regardless of race, “it hurts and it needs to stop.”

The Rev. Titus Hill of the nearby Love Missionary Baptist Church came to the scene to try to calm the crowd Sunday morning. “There’s a lack of trust” between residents and police, Hill said.

Jones was absentee-booked into the Duval County jail on charges of burglary to an occupied dwelling, domestic battery, simple battery on a law enforcement officer, and resisting an officer with violence, jail records showed. Jones had previously faced robbery and threat charges, court and jail records show.

A September 2013 arrest on misdemeanor charges of making threats, criminal mischief and fighting kept him in jail about three weeks, but prosecutors decided not to carry the case forward.

Jones was arrested again in December 2013 on a strong-arm robbery charge, a felony, that was reduced to a misdemeanor domestic battery count. He pleaded no contest and a 30-day jail sentence was suspended after he had served six days. He pleaded no contest to misdemeanor marijuana possession in the same arrest.

Edited for length. Full story here: http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/...olice-shoot-man-multiple-times-cleveland-arms

Well, of course, this asshole tried to get away. He's not just some petty thief acting a fool; he's an actual threat to the community. I can't believe his family is trying to make him out to be a sympathetic figure who was wronged, because he did everything he could to deserve getting shot. I doubt it was personal or because of race this time.

He also said the man “took the matter into his own hands by continuing to resist the arrest, by continuing to flee, by committing another crime — breaking into an occupied residence — and by fighting Sames and taking away his Taser.

“That officer had a reasonable expectation to believe that if that Taser is used on him, then that officer could become disarmed of his firearm and that firearm could be used against him,” Hackney said. ”This man has shown a propensity toward violence, and a propensity of dangerousness to the community …”

The crowd quickly overlooks the fact he wasn't an Unarmed Black Man. He had a Taser and the means to overpower an officer and take his service gun. Had he stopped and obeyed the officers' commands, this would have ended in his arrest without coming to any harm.

Here's the deal with cops: If you fight them they may shoot you. If you take away any of their state issued weapons they may and quite possibly WILL shoot you.

So, with that in mind how about people (of all colors/races/genders/etc.) stop being asshats and refrain from those above no-nos?

I'm fully fed up with all the fucking families that think their loved ones are above the law and shouldn't be arrested or prosecuted for doing something wrong. I'm sick of the "Oh woe is us" bullshit. Stop committing crime, motherfuckers, and you wont' have to worry about getting shot.
It's pretty fucking simple.

“But for whatever reason, the Taser didn’t have the effect on the man. … The subject either fought through the Tase or it didn’t affect him like it should have,” said Hackney.
Just an FYI- certain illegal drugs make a person impervious to pain. Blood work could reveal the reason a Taser was ineffective.

Just an FYI- certain illegal drugs make a person impervious to pain. Blood work could reveal the reason a Taser was ineffective.

Exactly. They've found the same thing to be true with people who're clinically obese (50 lbs overweight or more). Depending on where the probes hit them, they may or not deliver a disabling shock, though it's much more common with the morbidly obese (100 lbs+ over). They've had people run away with the probes still stuck in their chests, stomach, backsides, etc.

As for the drugs, absolutely. A lot of folks don't realize how common that it, esp. w/meth and crack or any other amphetamine-based drug, and in this case, weight isn't a factor. We got in a fresh post-op at the jail who took nine .9mms to the gut during a liquor store robbery and took off on foot for what they estimated to be two miles before he got to his cousin's house to take him to the ER where he was arrested. Thanks to the meth, other than low 02 from blood loss he wasn't disabled at all and the slugs missed his vitals and spinal nerves. He lost 90% of his intestines, ended up with a colostomy at 23 and has nerve damage, but if a clip full of .9mm full metal jackets didn't stop a guy on meth/amphetamines, a taser's damn sure not going to.

Last edited:
A lot of folks don't realize how common that it,
I always think back to the Rodney King video. He was on PCP and there was almost no stopping him no matter what they did.

I know PCP is old school with the availability of meth and salt but that's the case that always makes me remember the power of drugs to make a person 10 feet tall and bullet-proof.

I always think back to the Rodney King video. He was on PCP and there was almost no stopping him no matter what they did.

I know PCP is old school with the availability of meth and salt but that's the case that always makes me remember the power of drugs to make a person 10 feet tall and bullet-proof.

No shit, perfect example. That is some amazing stuff right there.

I think they just got bored with saying PCP/Angel Dust here and renamed it to keep it going. Sherm/Wet/Water/Dip (single, double or triple dip) is alive and well here in K.C. For folks who smoke it regularly, the drug-induced schizophrenia/psychosis can last up to three weeks or more. I've never seen a drug before or since that can keep you hallucinating, hollering and painting the walls with your own shit for almost a solid month after your last hit. That's some seriously scary stuff even when people are just occasional users, let alone regulars.

I think they just got bored with saying PCP/Angel Dust here and renamed it to keep it going. Sherm/Wet/Water/Dip (single, double or triple dip) is alive and well here in K.C.
I'm sure it can be found around me but it's not popular like it was back when I was in high school. I'm in prime meth cooking territory and we have been rocked with bath salts (still are too, ZOMBIES every where), so that's what we have all over the place.

I got slipped PCP once in a joint back in junior high school, I don't think I was even in high school yet, scary shit. I have never dealt well with the drugs that cause hallucinations and I'm sure it didn't help that I had no idea what the fuck was happening until afterwards.

I'm sure it can be found around me but it's not popular like it was back when I was in high school. I'm in prime meth cooking territory and we have been rocked with bath salts (still are too, ZOMBIES every where), so that's what we have all over the place.

I got slipped PCP once in a joint back in junior high school, I don't think I was even in high school yet, scary shit. I have never dealt well with the drugs that cause hallucinations and I'm sure it didn't help that I had no idea what the fuck was happening until afterwards.

Lovely. Nice of whoever slipped it to you to tip you off...Not. Not knowing ?TF you are or how you got there has gotta be scary.

We have salts users here, but it hasn't been as big a problem as it is in some places, which has always stuck me as kinda strange since we're such a big metropolis. We're overloaded with meth labs/cooks here, too (and, of course, crack, etc.), but there's a whole lot less going on with salts, at least those who get arrested on it or end up in the ERs. Maybe all the PCP is keeping the majority of our hardcore hallucinogen crowd happy, or maybe it's just cheaper for our regulars to keep chewing the rubber off their pacifiers than chewing on other people's faces. No bail money needed for assault on a pacifier, lol. I get the compulsive mouth/lip movements and teeth-grinding with some of the drugs, but I wonder exactly what it is in salts that makes them specifically want to chew on flesh. (?) Weird.

Totally, totally, totally support body cameras on cops, though. In Rialto, CA, public complaints about cops dropped by 88% and use of force fell by 60%.

Cops are less likely to shoot, and when they do, it's justified and on video, and it shuts families that would have cried "Don't shoot!" right the fuck up.

Win-win!

but I wonder exactly what it is in salts that makes them specifically want to chew on flesh. (?) Weird.
The media. Seriously. That rumor all goes back to the Miami Face-Eater who was high on... Spice, synthetic pot, not bath salts.

Bath salts is meth only stronger and has the exact same effect on one's appetite.

The media. Seriously. That rumor all goes back to the Miami Face-Eater who was high on... Spice, synthetic pot, not bath salts.

Bath salts is meth only stronger and has the exact same effect on one's appetite.

I remember that! Omg, I've read the recipe panels and I *thought* it was pretty much like meth, but I haven't worked with anyone on it and never really did any real reading on it. So, all the hype is just based on at least one case and the Zombie Apocalypse? Smhlmao. I guess I fell for all the media-induced bullshit right along with everyone I know who talks about it, too. Jebus. :hilarious: Thanks for settin' me straight teach! That explains why our hospitals aren't full of people who look like something out of Hellraiser I. :joyful:

I'm fully fed up with all the fucking families that think their loved ones are above the law and shouldn't be arrested or prosecuted for doing something wrong. I'm sick of the "Oh woe is us" bullshit. Stop committing crime, motherfuckers, and you wont' have to worry about getting shot.
It's pretty fucking simple.

Here's the deal with cops: If you fight them they may shoot you. If you take away any of their state issued weapons they may and quite possibly WILL shoot you.

So, with that in mind how about people (of all colors/races/genders/etc.) stop being asshats and refrain from those above no-nos?

Totally, totally, totally support body cameras on cops, though. In Rialto, CA, public complaints about cops dropped by 88% and use of force fell by 60%.

Cops are less likely to shoot, and when they do, it's justified and on video, and it shuts families that would have cried "Don't shoot!" right the fuck up.

Win-win!

I am so fucking fed up with this "Don't Shoot Us" shit that I am about to lose my MIND! How about you stop acting like fucking asshats, stop thinking that whatever your precious family member does is somehow not held to the same standards at the rest of us and stop excusing this piss-poor behavior? Fuck, if you had raised your children up right we wouldn't be having these problems to begin with. Instead of teaching them that the world owes THEM something, teach them that THEY owe the world something. ARGH!!!

Just b/c they sounded so good the first time. :p

Last edited:
Wait right here. I got something to say to this dude and his family.....

119xhk7.gif

Back