• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

bowling68

A San Francisco-area woman was crushed to death in her driveway by a load of gravel that spilled accidentally from a dump truck onto her car as she was about to move the vehicle at the request of construction workers, authorities said.

The tragedy occurred on Monday afternoon while sidewalk construction was under way along a half-mile stretch of the woman's street in the East Bay town of Martinez, according to an initial report gathered by workplace safety inspectors.

“Someone knocked on her door, the lady came out, then actually the chain of events that happened from there are under investigation as to how the gravel load came down onto the woman’s car, pinning her and killing her inside,” said Julia Bernstein, a spokeswoman for California's Occupational Safety and Health Division.
State safety inspectors have six months to investigate and report on the incident, including any citations or fines that might be issued should workplace infractions be found.

Bernstein said the general contractor for the project was cited in 2009 and 2010 for such regulatory violations as failing to post proper signs.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ca...-on-her-car-in-driveway/ar-AA9XyMp?ocid=HPDHP

Lindsey-Combs.jpg

MARTINEZ, CA
– Lindsey Combs, 32, was killed in her driveway Monday afternoon when a truck carrying gravel tipped over onto her car, crushing her to death in front of her 4-year-old daughter.

A construction crew working on the road had asked Combs to pull her car up further into her driveway to make room for a gravel truck.

As Combs was moving her car, 20 tons of gravel inside the truck’s trailer shifted, causing the trailer to flip on top of Combs’ car as her 4-year-old daughter watched.

Members of the construction crew attempted to help Combs, but having 20 tons of anything land on top of you isn’t something you walk away from.

“Myself and the guys that were working on the side of the road were trying to dig her out,” Travis Hagerty said. “A guy with a backhoe came around and ripped the door off the car with the backhoe after he picked the trailer up. That’s when I looked in the car and saw she was smashed and dead.”

Read more: http://www.dreamindemon.com#ixzz3VP3aOuMf

Sounds like somebody majorly fucked up. Poor woman. Damn, what a way to go - you know that wasn't quick.

you know that wasn't quick.
I was on a call like this one, gravel truck fell on a Dodge Neon. There was a husband and wife in the car, the wife died on impact, the husband survived until we had the gravel truck removed. The weight had crushed his lower body much like someone hit and pinned by a subway train. We got his children there while equipment was set up, called his pastor and finally lifted the truck off him. He instantly bled out when the truck was moved. Without a doubt one of the worst calls I have EVER been on.

:jawdrop: Yet another real life scene right out of the Twilight Zone/Final Destination. W.T.F. do you even say to that? Not even winning the multi-million dollar, no-brainer Wrongful Death suit would put a dent in someone like me getting over something like that. Gawd.

Last edited:
I'm glad she didn't let her daughter ride with her on this short but ill-fated journey. That's the only silver lining I can find in this one.

First I started avoiding log trucks on the road, now gravel trucks.:shifty:

I get mad when a piece of gravel flies off and cracks my windshield. What a sucky ass way to go.

I'll smile the next time my windshield gets cracked, and think about this poor woman. Perspective.

It really is a good idea to stay away from all of those large trucks. A lot of bad shit can happen, and it isn't usually the trucks that suffer when it does.

I have a real hatred for gravel trucks in particular. They always seem to be driving way too fast for whatever roadway they're on and never seem to worry that they might roll right over someone. Sadly, that very thing happened in my area, and a woman was killed when her car was run over by one.

Owner of gravel trailer that crushed pregnant Martinez woman ‘devastated'

The gravel trailer that tipped over and fatally crushed a pregnant Martinez woman this week became wobbly after the load failed to fall out of the hydraulic trailer when it was lifted for dumping, causing a balance problem, the driver’s employer said Wednesday.

Greg Menna, the owner of San Mateo-based Greg’s Trucking Inc., said the Monday afternoon accident on Shell Avenue was beyond the driver’s control. He said his company was “devastated” by the death of 32-year-old Lindsey Combs, who was in the driveway of her home, preparing to move her car, when the trailer fell on the car.

“It was a situation of the load sticking in the top of the trailer,” Menna said. “The load got caught up on one quarter and caused the trailer to go over.”

Greg’s Trucking is a subcontractor for a city-managed project to build a half mile of new sidewalk on Shell Avenue. The truck that overturned was attempting to drop fill alongside the street at the direction of the prime contractor, JJR Construction of San Mateo, according to Menna. He said he did not know why the fill stuck in the trailer.

“The material might have been wet — it could have been a number of things,” he said.

The driver of the rig, Daryl Crockett, owned the truck, while Greg’s Trucking owned the trailer. Both units had recently passed inspections, Menna said. Greg’s Trucking has no outstanding safety violations issued by regulators, according to a U.S. Department of Labor database.

Crockett, who could not be reached for comment, has worked under contract for Greg’s Trucking for 25 years and has been a safe and reliable employee, Menna said.

Cal/OSHA, the state’s workplace safety regulator, is investigating the incident but won’t release details of what happened until its probe is complete. Workers found in violation of regulatory standards or acting negligently can face fines.

Combs, a hairstylist who worked in Pleasant Hill, had been asked by one of the construction workers to move her car before she was crushed, according to witnesses and authorities.

She was two months pregnant, said her fiance, 39-year-old Anderson Pamilton and the two were planning to see the first ultrasound scan of her pregnancy this week. The couple shared their home with their 4-year old daughter, who witnessed the incident, Pamilton said.

Additional links that might be of interest...

Martinez woman crushed by gravel truck was pregnant

Work shut down on street where Martinez woman was crushed by gravel truck

Fuck. That car is flattened. Hopefully she never knew what happened.

The gravel trailer that tipped over and fatally crushed a pregnant Martinez woman this week became wobbly after the load failed to fall out of the hydraulic trailer when it was lifted for dumping, causing a balance problem, the driver’s employer said Wednesday.

Why did they begin the job with a bystander in such a close vicinity? WHy did they not permit her to safely move her vehicle, as per their original instructions, prior to the dump attempt? Sounds like some folks do indeed need to get sued.

for a city-managed project

Cha-ching.

I remember a Rescue 9-11 episode where a truck hauling hot asphalt or something of that nature crashed into someones car and the hot load poured into this womans car, burnt the shit out of her legs. Being crushed to death is pretty awful too, although likely less painful from the sounds of this story.

Final Destination got to you too?
Dude, never again will I ride behind another log truck! I've actually had the water bottle thing happen before, scary as fuck.

The deaths in that opening scene are some of the best I have ever seen on film, and I'm a huge horror fan. If it can make you cringe that much internally, it's good.

Worked for many, many years for a large trucking/construction company. This is a tragic accident. Most of the accidents we experienced were usually the fault of the general public and their lack of understanding of what it takes to stop a truck and trailer weighing 105,500 lbs

RIP Lindsey.

Lindsey Combs Obituary - Legacy.com

62130c60-e283-4c34-8507-08093388f4df.jpgx

Lindsey Combs never ended a conversation with a family member without saying "I love you," said Robert Combs, her brother. Wednesday, her family was left wishing they had one more chance to hear her say it, as they prepared to say goodbye to the 32-year-old mother who died in a construction accident Monday, March 23.

Published in Contra Costa Times on Mar. 26, 2015

Latest posts

Back