• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
I don't think he is a fall guy for anything. I believe he did this to himself. I'm not at all unaware of what this country is capable of, but if someone is coming after us, we hit back, harder. That's just the way it is.

Hmmm....
Highly publicized story about a military deserter that other soldiers may have potentially died searching for gets rescued by our government in exchange for high ranking Taliban.

We might as well put a fucking bow on it.

Hey! Hey! Everybody hate this guy right here!

Pay no mind to the asshats counting their blood soaked money behind the curtain.

Love ya @Buffettgirl . No matter what we may disagree on.

Eh, you're no piss ant.

I think people might be on the whole idea that I'm some sort of sympathizer. Hey, you sign the dotted line, you sign your life away. If that dude deserted his post, fuck him for that.

They very well may have sent in those special units for him. Fuck if we know.

You of all people know how things are handled 'inside' a situation versus what the public sees. It applies to our military too. That is the thing that I have been beating to death here. There is shit going down that we don't understand.

Why degrade this man for him being traded for five Taliban? Does anybody really believe that's what we gave them five Taliban for?

Yeah, he may be a pussy deserter. That sucks. However; I'm still sitting over here trying to figure out what he deserted for. He may have gone about it the wrong way for that, but wtf possesses a Sgt. to run off into bum fuck.

We're never going to know for sure. And I agree there too, the inside politics of the trade, we'll never know. I have no doubt there's a lot more to that trade than just this soldier.

Just as a side note. He was a private first class when he disappeared. That's an E-3 in the military. Junior enlisted. When I enlisted for he AF, because I gave them 6 years, I automatically achieved that rank after Tech school, so a year in I was an E-3. Woo fucking hoo. He would've been a Spc next, an E-4, afterwards he would've gained the rank of Sgt, an E-5, a non commissioned officer. Because of his time in service while being held captive, he was given the "honorary" rank of Sgt. That's why I titled the thread the way I did.

Point being, it isn't as if he gained his Sgt title the way most do, thru testing, boards, qualifications and such. He ran off as a Private, without a lot of the knowledge and experience a Sgt would have in the same situation. (replying to your last sentence) :D

We're never going to know for sure. And I agree there too, the inside politics of the trade, we'll never know. I have no doubt there's a lot more to that trade than just this soldier.

Just as a side note. He was a private first class when he disappeared. That's an E-3 in the military. Junior enlisted. When I enlisted for he AF, because I gave them 6 years, I automatically achieved that rank after Tech school, so a year in I was an E-3. Woo fucking hoo. He would've been a Spc next, an E-4, afterwards he would've gained the rank of Sgt, an E-5, a non commissioned officer. Because of his time in service while being held captive, he was given the "honorary" rank of Sgt. That's why I titled the thread the way I did.

Point being, it isn't as if he gained his Sgt title the way most do, thru testing, boards, qualifications and such. He ran off as a Private, without a lot of the knowledge and experience a Sgt would have in the same situation. (replying to your last sentence) :D

Thanks for that. It gives me better perspective. I can see a private pussying out more so than a sarge.

No worries @Macabre I'm not taking any of this personally, love you right back. I just don't think this started out as "let's all hate Bergdahl" kind of thing. For years we all thought he was a captured hero. Then it came to light that he hadn't been captured but that he deserted. That's where my ire comes into play. And that is what has the President looking like he has egg on his face. I'm no fan of this President, but this soldier and all of the shit surrounding him didn't make him appear any better in my eyes. I get the no man left behind thing, but if you walk off and leave the men that depend on you hanging, in hostile territory, didn't you kind of beg for the fate you got? I agree we'll never know it all, but the President didn't make himself informed enough to make the tactical decision he made. That doesn't say a whole hell of a lot about his role as Commander in Chief now does it?

The president is not the only one involved in this decision, despite however it was executed.

One of my favorite quotes is, "Beware the fury of a patient man."
The slow rolls are the best cons. You must first inspire immense love in order to create such hate. They could have easily built that boy up, just to have him torn down.

If he deserted (which he very well looks like he did), they knew within the first week what happened to him. Military intelligence are some shrewd mofos.

Yawn.
I'm not in the least bit interested in what you have to say about this. You're the comic relief.
Keep on flinging poo, monkey. Go get your lover too, while you're at it.

I don't give a fuck.
So I very rarely actually Agree with @Pete Bondurant and his statements, but this one is very spot on. I can tell you as somebody who has served for 12 years in war zones and in peace that I'm completely disgusted by this. He was a known deserter well before we did this trade. And yes he put every member of the patrol's that were sent out to look for him lives on the line. His unit was also short handed when he deserted which means some other poor bastard had to do more security patrols, standing guard at check points, duties and so on so forth. I have no problem if the Military makes the right call and sends his ass to the Military prison in Leaveworth to rot away. Just my personal opinion on it all. Ooh yeah and that's not even counting the possible American lives that are now at risk with 5 more pissed off Taliban released from prison to enact vengenance.

So I very rarely actually Agree with @Pete Bondurant and his statements, but this one is very spot on. I can tell you as somebody who has served for 12 years in war zones and in peace that I'm completely disgusted by this. He was a known deserter well before we did this trade. And yes he put every member of the patrol's that were sent out to look for him lives on the line. His unit was also short handed when he deserted which means some other poor bastard had to do more security patrols, standing guard at check points, duties and so on so forth. I have no problem if the Military makes the right call and sends his ass to the Military prison in Leaveworth to rot away. Just my personal opinion on it all. Ooh yeah and that's not even counting the possible American lives that are now at risk with 5 more pissed off Taliban released from prison to enact vengenance.

Thank you for your service.

I do not have issue about Bergdahl potentially serving a term for desertion. I am not a sympathizer.

I have an issue with people so readily jumping to the conclusion this is all Obama, or this and that.

As a serviceman (a Marine right?), I appreciate your insight in these matters.

I still stand firmly in my belief that there is more going on behind the scenes.

Thank you for your service.

I do not have issue about Bergdahl potentially serving a term for desertion. I am not a sympathizer.

I have an issue with people so readily jumping to the conclusion this is all Obama, or this and that.

As a serviceman (a Marine right?), I appreciate your insight in these matters.

I still stand firmly in my belief that there is more going on behind the scenes.

I think the only thing going on behind the scenes was Obama was wrong on his thought process that it was a good thing bringing home the last American POW. He wanted to do something feel goody for the Country and it back fired when the details of this soldiers true nature came to light. Though I do agree we shouldn't leave any American in the hands of the Enemy, the cost was far to high for somebody who turned his back on his Unit, his Service and his Country. He was so disgusted with a Country that just put an untold amount of lives at risk just for the sake of bringing his sorry ass home. That's what I disagree with.

I think the only thing going on behind the scenes was Obama was wrong on his thought process that it was a good thing bringing home the last American POW. He wanted to do something feel goody for the Country and it back fired when the details of this soldiers true nature came to light. Though I do agree we shouldn't leave any American in the hands of the Enemy, the cost was far to high for somebody who turned his back on his Unit, his Service and his Country. He was so disgusted with a Country that just put an untold amount of lives at risk just for the sake of bringing his sorry ass home. That's what I disagree with.

I get it. He was a piece of shit.

I don't think Obama just up and traded five Taliban for said piece of shit. Feel goody or not.

Yup, I just beat that horse into the ground, @Forensicwx . I have nothing further to speculate upon until the emergence of new information.

Once again Mitch, thank you for being out there.<3

YES. I can't think of anything else to say, besides....YES!

And thank you for serving our country Mitch. :)

I think there is a lot more going on behind the scenes than any of us truly know. Our government wanted him back for some reason, and they are going to get what they want from him.

I love how the article states he emailed his parents about being ashamed of being an American and how he walked off from his post, but gave us no details as to why he felt that way. The media is putting a hard spin on this one.

I would love to know why he thought this way too. Because this is very relevent to his actions. And I too suspect that there is more to this than we currently know.

Yeah, he was wrong to desert, totally. If he had reasons to feel ill at ease with any of his comrades, their actions or attitudes, his commanding officers, any orders he was given, or whatever, there were proper channels he could have used. Fuck, he could even have pressed the nuclear button and gone to the press - if he had anything worth reporting.

But on the other hand, he may just have been way too sensitive for the situation he was in and should never have joined the military. Too much of a pussy, in other words.

But to desert as he appears to have, apparently costing the lives of comrades searching for him, deserves serious punishment. I just think his reasons are relevent to understanding why and in determing severity of sentence.

Random blurb: I just saw a pundit sound byte re: this sitch bringing Obama's bow to King Abdullah back up as a 'how many times does he have to show you people he's not Pro-America' comment. Of course, it was countered by another pundit who brought up Bush's kissing the King, but does anyone else think this is relevant to this incident? I certainly get what they're getting at, but unless you're gonna impeach the guy, formally accuse him of something, or you're trying to sway the next POTUS vote, why even bring it up? :confused:

He wanted to do something feel goody for the Country and it back fired when the details of this soldiers true nature came to light. Though I do agree we shouldn't leave any American in the hands of the Enemy,
Within days, Military Intelligence knew exactly what Bergdahl did and why.
With all jokes aside, psychological warfare requires detailed knowledge of the human mind.
The fact that they listed him a MIA is obvious, so as to have an opportunity to interrogate our lost sheep. Much better to leave a door open for a return.
Even incompetent military advisers would have been up in arms about the trade.

Obama knew full well the intelligence gathered on our deserter, this was calculated to give radical Muslims legitimacy at the cost of weakness. While most low info types will say this just shows how Obama is willing to negotiate with aggressors, the fact that Bergdahls trade has helped different Islamofacist sects join into a more cohesive enemy is a given.
Negotiating with Terrorist proves that they are not only winning, but they are on the right track in subjugating all Westerners in the name of Mohammad.
It's like the U.S. has capitulated to terrorism for the sake of Obama's legacy.

Giving in to ANY Terrorist just emboldens the ass-fucks to be even more violent, shit, can't blame 'em... gets results if your enemy is weakened enough.

Now, back OT... Bowe is claiming to be a whistleblower, it's like icing on the cake.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/29/politics/bowe-bergdahl-defense-disputed-by-platoon/

it seems to me the system has worked the way it should.
It's not that he is back with "his" perceived enemy, it's how he came back that should be asked.
Bowe's actions have emboldened terrorist legitimacy and empowered their war on the infidels.

Sad ending here.
15 October 2019
A soldier who was gravely wounded while searching for Bowe Bergdahl in 2009 has died, 10 years after his unit was ambushed in Afghanistan.

National Guard Master Sgt. Mark Allen was on a mission to gather information in two Afghan villages in July 2009 when his unit was ambushed by insurgents using small arms, machine guns and rocket-propelled grenades.
During the ambush Allen was shot in the head and suffered a traumatic brain injury. He was left unable to speak and using a wheelchair
[...]

Back