• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
I have to agree with Jack on that one. I guess he and I can just be Mean at times.

But the thing about you, @Krystal, is your meanness still retains a certain finesse that we can all appreciate. Jack is the kind of guy who would murder you and then piss on you just for spite.

Granted, I'm still waiting to piss on my 2nd wife's ashes (they're in Ohio), but she did alot of stuff to deserve it.

is your meanness still retains a certain finesse that we can all appreciate.
I appreciate your words but you missed my joke in there. Mean is a Taylor Swift song, that's why I capitalized the word randomly.;)

For the record I was really excited when Taylor Swift decided to go Pop because they stopped playing her whiny-ass break up songs on my country music stations.

I appreciate your words but you missed my joke in there. Mean is a Taylor Swift song, that's why I capitalized the word randomly.;)

For the record I was really excited when Taylor Swift decided to go Pop because they stopped playing her whiny-ass break up songs on my country music stations.

Oh, great...now this will give Jack an opening to tell me what a moran I am.

I don't listen to her stuff anymore because I got tired of her songs too. They were all sounding the same. And it pissed me off somebody could make so much money and fame by regurgitating the same thing over and over.

...you missed my joke in there. Mean is a Taylor Swift song, that's why I capitalized the word randomly.;)

See? That's the finesse I'm talking about :)

Last edited:
Why would you reward her or in any way encourage this? I feel so sorry for you as a parent. My boys did some downright horrifying things growing up, but i never had to experience like what you must be going through, my lord i can't imagine the shame.
So, ya, last year she had bieber fever.....I will take Taylor Swift over the Bieb anyday....Sometimes I just got to make those compromising sacrifices...you know. And my daughter has been learning how to play the acoustic guitar lately and Taylor has been her inspiration. So I cant exactly knock her for that....right?
ETA: I feel no shame for it at all....Im a tually quite proud of it and grateful to Taylor Swift for bringing the musical talent out of my daughter. *fat grin*

Last edited:
Why would you reward her or in any way encourage this? I feel so sorry for you as a parent. My boys did some downright horrifying things growing up, but i never had to experience like what you must be going through, my lord i can't imagine the shame.

I took my daughter to see Taylor Swift in concert a couple years ago. It was like the song that never endsb and I like some of her songs. Just when you think it's over bc she is erected out of the floor on a fucking tree, or fireworks erupt, wait there's more. Now, Justin Beibers concert was awesome. Never really liked him or his music, but he put on a good show. I think I liked it more than my kid did!

I'm ok with a Disney phone, they can call 911 or home or up to like 10 numbers you program into them using your computer and control. They have built in gps, but they are the flip style phone so no internet. If they want to watch a video, or see something on the internet, they can do it sitting with me at my desk. But then, I have 5 very little girls, and I don't want them having any internet access I'm not in full supervision of. There are just too many fucked up things even simple typos can bring up, especially on youtube.

I had this whole thing with both my kids and had it so down pat it was rote. I even purposely used my droning, monotone Ben Stein voice anytime Speech #144 came up - the differences between a "right" and a "privilege." Thankfully, it was so annoying they stopped even trying to question me when I'd yank privileges and goodies out of their rooms, lol. The abbreviated version: "Your Bill of RIghts = food, clothing, shelter, healthcare, protection, education and love. Everything else is a privilege and subject to search, seizure and/or cancellation. Any questions, refer to your Bill of Rights." Works great, moms!

Before cells, I let my daughter get her own, separate phone line installed in her room at 16, but she'd worked part-time after school since she was 15, so she agreed to pay the bill. The boy child never asked for a cell until he was 16, so he's got one. He's a pretty trustworthy kid so I feel good about it. The g-dtr. will be 11 in June and the girl child isn't comfortable getting her a cell yet at all, so other than that I really have no experience with younger kids getting them. IMPO, I think it would depend on the kiddo(es)and what kind of relationship you had with them.

the differences between a "right" and a "privilege."

Are, unfortunately, what a lot of parents fail to teach their children these days.

The abbreviated version: "Your Bill of RIghts = food, clothing, shelter, healthcare, protection, education and love. Everything else is a privilege and subject to search, seizure and/or cancellation. Any questions, refer to your Bill of Rights."

Typing this up BIG and BOLD and putting it on the bulletin board at home. Thanks for the tip.

Are, unfortunately, what a lot of parents fail to teach their children these days.

Typing this up BIG and BOLD and putting it on the bulletin board at home. Thanks for the tip.

LOL, you're welcome! If you really wanna get ornery and get 'em to raise an eyebrow (and my son can verify this, too) put the national Child Abuse hotline number up there, too. 1 (800) 4-A-CHILD stayed on my fridge for years. :hilarious:

I'm curious, because I have juvenile pernicious anemia and have to inject B12 every other day, why you say that? What would the benefit be?

Her age/puberty/possible PMS. Most pediatricians/GP's will try to start with a B-Complex vitamin regimen for mild-moderate PMS in pre/pubescent girls. If their PMS is moderate-severe, a B-12 injection once a month has been the treatment of choice since forever to help boost/support neural/nerve function (it helps repair/sustain/knit new nerve fibers together) so that the body's natural, chemical "de-stressors" that work with the central nervous system will be more effective. :)

As for yours, you're already getting the max benefit of B-12 in regular doses to maintain your red cells so in addition to the red cell benefits you're getting, you're also getting the max benefit of your body's neural pathways/nerve conductivity. !!! *light bulb* OMG, BG...something just dawned on me...:eek: Are you thinking what I'm thinking...?! LOL :devil: ;) :joyful:

Sadly, $50,000 and 10+ years of TRYING to figure out what was wrong with me, I now have permanent nerve damage in my back and some blank spots in my memory, as you need B12 for memory, metabolism, myelin production, energy and a whole host of other things. I'm a little bitter about having been poked and prodded and even being told I was "malingering" only to find it was a simple goddamn blood test! But I digress, it's morning and I haven't had cup of coffee #2 yet, what are you thinking??? :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

ETA: Thanks for the explanation, I had no idea but it makes perfect sense!

PM on the way. Back to psychotic 12 y.o.'s!

I'd feel sorry for the Mother,.....but she raised the lil' attempted murderer herself didn't she?

12 years old ...trying to kill your Mom because you can't handle the word...NO.

Parenting is hard, I try to say yes a lot, or I try to compromise...but this one day,

I delivered a NO to four year old, and the little snot thought he was going to debate it,

i got sick of that in less than two seconds, told him there was no debate and the answer was

no because i am the Supreme Authority in his life and I said so that's WHY,

He didn't even know what a supreme authority was...he just knew it wasn't him,

and he fucked off and went and hunted spiders or something.

Violent crime spiked in 1976 and only recently dropped to a lower level. Homicides committed by 14 - 17 year olds rose dramatically in the mid-1980s (surpassing the rates of 25 - 34 year olds, historically the highest offenders of any era), as did homicides committed by children under 14. Therefore, during the period I referenced - the 1950s through the 1970s - the homicide rate committed by children and teens was far lower than today.

Granted, kids didn't have cell phones in the 1980s, but they did have video games.

If you wish to study the spectrum of data yourself, just google bureau of justice statistics. I looked for other sources as a cross-reference but this one site kept coming up.

If you wish to study the spectrum of data yourself, here's what you google? Nuh-uh, that's not how it works, buddy. You make a claim, you cite the source, otherwise, your claim is empty. Been on the internet long? ;)

juv%20murder%20rate%20drop_0_zpsswcfdzml.jpg

Source

Murders committed by juveniles peaked, as you can see, in 1994. But as of 2014, the rate of these murders is the lowest it has ever been for as var back as reliable data can be found, with juveniles murdering a mere 609 times... a far cry from the 2,560 murders in 1995. Source

These numbers were drawn from the Bureau of Justice Statistics.

My eight year old daughter and eleven year old stepson are both about ready to get a cell phone. Ive already got their phone but no service quite yet......Should I really reconsider this choice? They are getting them pretty much just cause they want one.....

You know, I used to be fervently against children having cell phones. After all, I never needed one, right?

...and then I surveyed the pay phones in town.

You see, when I was a kid, I only needed to carry around a few quarters and I'd be able to check in as frequently as my parents wanted me to. Pay phones were on damn near every block in town. Now? Of the three surviving pay phones, two didn't even work. One looked like you'd catch a disease just by stepping in the unmaintained booth.

Combine that with the fact that people like Rod think kids are so much worse than they were before and you can't always knock on a door and expect the resident to smile and allow you their phone, so I think 8 years old is a perfectly reasonable age for a phone with limited abilities.

No shit, my engineer and I were discussing this just yesterday. My daughter is 4 and his son is 3, and we were saying we were thinking of getting our kids phones around 8, because that's when they'd be venturing out farther (fellow "free-range" parent). The ability to check in means more freedom for the child and more peace of mind for the parent.

But no fucking iPhone, and not just because I'm an Android devotee. Kids need function, not flair. :p

Murders committed by juveniles peaked, as you can see, in 1994. But as of 2014, the rate of these murders is the lowest it has ever been for as var back as reliable data can be found, with juveniles murdering a mere 609 times... a far cry from the 2,560 murders in 1995. Source

These numbers were drawn from the Bureau of Justice Statistics.

Athena, what in the heck are you talking about? I specifically stated the data came from the Bureau of Justice Statistics. I did not link directly to the data because that would be hotlinking...which is something I thought we are not allowed to do here.

The URL of the document I used: http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/htius.pdf

Specifically, page 14 regarding homicide offending rates.

Forgive my oversight in using a document citing statistics through 2005, but I thought this was the most current data as I did not find a document newer than that, and it also implies this document is updated as new data becomes available. A more thorough review of their website does find some cool, real-time tools where you can customize charts though, and I would have used those had I known about them at the time.

Conclusion: kids are bigger assholes today, plain and simple.

Athena, what in the heck are you talking about? I specifically stated the data came from the Bureau of Justice Statistics. I did not link directly to the data because that would be hotlinking...which is something I thought we are not allowed to do here.

"Hotlinking" is the practice of posting images by using the location of the image on the site where you found it rather than saving the image and uploading it directly to the site or via an image hosting site like Photobucket or TinyPic. That's because, when you link it from the other site, it uses that sites bandwidth rather than ours or the image hosting site. Hyperlinks don't have the same effect, so you can always hyperlink like you did below, here. But that chart, saved to my computer and then uploaded to photobucket and linked from there.

Forgive my oversight in using a document citing statistics through 2005, but I thought this was the most current data as I did not find a document newer than that, and it also implies this document is updated as new data becomes available. A more thorough review of their website does find some cool, real-time tools where you can customize charts though, and I would have used those had I known about them at the time.

I am intimately familiar with that particular publication, and you still seem to have interpreted it inaccurately. Directly from the publication, pg. 14:

"Offending rates for children under age 14 increased in the late 1980's and early 1990's, but fell to the lowest level recorded in 2003.

Offending rates of teens (14-17 years old) increased rapidly after 1985, surpassing the rates of 25-34 year-olds. After 2000, the offending rates for young teens reached the lowest levels recorded and fell below those for 25-34 year-olds."

What about "lowest levels recorded" gives you the impression that kids are worse today? I can understand you not coming across the handy chart that I posted that quite clearly illustrates that is not the case, but I'm not sure how you managed to miss the thing about lowest levels not once but twice.

Kids might be bigger assholes (an assertion I do not believe, but you know that). But current juvenile crime rates do not support that theory, so the best you've got is a soft, circumstantial, "I lived that long so I know," argument. Although, the fact that Jack, who is probably roughly your age, disagreed with you on that point detracts from even that.

Not a lick of quantifiable proof that kids are worse today than they were before. If you want to believe that, that's your right. 25% of Americans think the sun revolves around the earth. Nothin' stopping 'em. But as a Millenial myself, I'll never let the assertion go unchallenged.

Yeah, I just downloaded and reviewed your evidence.
It actually negates your entire argument. Thanks for handing me the proof!

Also, I would like to point out something that has been overlooked. There was a huge surge of drug availability in the 80s and 90s. Particularly, cocaine or crack. Which, incidentally, was supplied by our own government to fund rebels during the whole Contra snafu. If you also look at the trends in age and race, you can surmise that many of these crimes were deeply rooted in other matters.

I didn't really feel like stepping in here, because Athena was already doing an excellent job of breaking it off in your ass. You got a little cheeky though.:kiss:

What about "lowest levels recorded" gives you the impression that kids are worse today? I can understand you not coming across the handy chart that I posted that quite clearly illustrates that is not the case, but I'm not sure how you managed to miss the thing about lowest levels not once but twice.

My original post began with, "Violent crime spiked in 1976 and only recently dropped to a lower level." I admitted, at the outset, that these levels - compared with today - had dropped lower.

I guess I need to start writing more comprehensive posts, and include every plot twist and turn so as to not be misunderstood, but I try to be brief since so many have complained about Hagar's lengthy (but nonetheless excellent), discourses.

When I referred to "kids of today," I wasn't simply talking about Today, March 26, 2015. Have you not ever had a conversation with somebody who refers to Today as, like, the last handful of years? Have you ever heard of the term, Nowadays? It doesn't pertain to one day or week. It's a generalization.

If you look at the chart, it shows that teens were committing more murder for a longer period of time than they were committing fewer murders. If you average it out, the higher murder rates lasted far longer than the lower murder rates, the bulk of which occurred during the time span you yourself listed - the 1990s. So, the 1990s, being closer to today's date than yesteryear, is in the general ballpark of "nowadays" as opposed to "back in my day."

Somewhere, there exists a chart going back to 1900, but I can't remember where I found that one, so I guess I won't discuss how it showed lower levels than the 1960s.

And Jack disagrees with everybody, it means nothing. This is my unshakeable belief.

Yeah, I just downloaded and reviewed your evidence.
It actually negates your entire argument. Thanks for handing me the proof!

Also, I would like to point out something that has been overlooked. There was a huge surge of drug availability in the 80s and 90s. Particularly, cocaine or crack. Which, incidentally, was supplied by our own government to fund rebels during the whole Contra snafu. If you also look at the trends in age and race, you can surmise that many of these crimes were deeply rooted in other matters.

I didn't really feel like stepping in here, because Athena was already doing an excellent job of breaking it off in your ass. You got a little cheeky though.:kiss:

Boy, you sure have it in for me nowadays (I don't think I need to define, nowadays).

Well then at least I guess you aren't griping over my recent posts regarding our government activities, since you mentioned the Contra thing. Maybe we agree on some of that. Or maybe you think I wear a tin-foil hat, as Pete stated.

The data doesn't negate my entire argument. It shows kids have been worse (committing more murder), far longer than they weren't.

<3

Come on, man. Don't make me go dig up every post you ever made about how horrible crime and kids are nowadays.

As you know, information for statistical calculation is much more readily available. Back then, not so much.

I'm not going hard on you. I'm just me. I call 'em like I see 'em.
The internet is my fun place. I don't sit here and scratch my head worrying about shit that goes down here.

I'll rib all you assholes.<3

"Hotlinking" is the practice of posting images by using the location of the image on the site where you found it rather than saving the image and uploading it directly to the site or via an image hosting site like Photobucket or TinyPic. That's because, when you link it from the other site, it uses that sites bandwidth rather than ours or the image hosting site. Hyperlinks don't have the same effect, so you can always hyperlink like you did below, here. But that chart, saved to my computer and then uploaded to photobucket and linked from there.

Good to Know. Thanks.

My original post began with, "Violent crime spiked in 1976 and only recently dropped to a lower level." I admitted, at the outset, that these levels - compared with today - had dropped lower.

Yes, well, you went on to disregard that, so I went on to disregard that. :p

I guess I need to start writing more comprehensive posts, and include every plot twist and turn so as to not be misunderstood, but I try to be brief since so many have complained about Hagar's lengthy (but nonetheless excellent), discourses.

People continue to complain about my verbosity as well. And they can alllllll fuck themselves. They're spending their time on a computer, where they come to read words. They're really going to bitch when someone uses "too many"? By whose standards? Hagar's posts, while wordy, tend to contain more content than the cumulative achievements of 10 complainers.

When I referred to "kids of today," I wasn't simply talking about Today, March 26, 2015. Have you not ever had a conversation with somebody who refers to Today as, like, the last handful of years? Have you ever heard of the term, Nowadays? It doesn't pertain to one day or week. It's a generalization.

If you look at the chart, it shows that teens were committing more murder for a longer period of time than they were committing fewer murders. If you average it out, the higher murder rates lasted far longer than the lower murder rates, the bulk of which occurred during the time span you yourself listed - the 1990s. So, the 1990s, being closer to today's date than yesteryear, is in the general ballpark of "nowadays" as opposed to "back in my day."

Somewhere, there exists a chart going back to 1900, but I can't remember where I found that one, so I guess I won't discuss how it showed lower levels than the 1960s.

And there's the problem. The spikes can be contributed directly to factors that no longer exist (as Macabre touched upon). Specifically, cocaine and then crack. Gang violence accounted for the lion's share of murders in the 80s and 90s. That's what makes you lumping that period in with "nowadays" so silly. It's not nowadays simply because it is closer to me than it is to you. 1990 was a quarter of a century ago. I guarantee you, in 1950, no one was considering the Great Depression "nowadays".

As for the chart that exists back to 1900, it's worthless. This brand of reporting didn't begin until the FBI formalized it in 1929, and it wasn't particularly reliable until 1976. In fact, because states' reporting methods were so inconsistent and spotty, I tend to consider anything before 1976 to be a low estimate.

And Jack disagrees with everybody, it means nothing. This is my unshakeable belief.

Like most, your "unshakable belief" is baseless. Just like your opinion of kids today. :D

Wanna know why most kids have an IPHONE? Because parents want the kids to have phones but Walmart unlimited for 45 bucks a month still costs $150 for the phone where I phones last Christmas offered $.01 iPhone with a 2 yr contract. Hello 1 penny Christmas present and over the TOP happy kids.

Back