• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

sugarfree irony

Trusted Member
A 25-year-old American man was rescued by the U.S. Coast Guard after he tried to walk from Detroit to Canada across a frozen lake, officials said on Friday.

The man was found on Thursday on Lake St. Clair, which borders the United States and Canada, about 1.5 miles from shore by a lookout assigned to the Coast Guard Cutter Neah Bay, a 140-foot ice-breaking tug, the Coast Guard said.

“He was suffering from hypothermia and disoriented,” said Chief Petty Officer Lauren Jorgensen, a Coast Guard spokeswoman.

The man, who was not named, appeared to be carrying only personal goods and told those who rescued him he was trying to walk to Toronto, about 200 miles from Detroit and 175 miles from the eastern edge of the lake.
http://bangordailynews.com/2015/03/...-detroit-on-frozen-lake-to-canada/?ref=latest

what could be accomplished is entering Canada illegally for some reason. What a really insane way to get there though.

Now I'll have to check my globe on this one, but I thought Detroit and Canada are separated by a river. Whisper used to talk about it a lot and post pictures.

Wait - aside from hypothermia....could that actually be accomplished? Walking from the US to Canada??
Someone swam it, but across the river, not the lake. The river is called the St. Clair River, it runs through the lake and out the other side . Guess he figured it was easier to cross a frozen lake vs swim a cold river.

http://gawker.com/canadian-man-sorry-for-chugging-eight-beers-and-swimmin-888283225

@BostonBurns

https://www.google.com/maps/place/L...2!3m1!1s0x88253a42a07febbd:0x679a153523440e7c

Worst of all, his mother is angry at him (from the Gawker link). And, of course, he's sorry. Isn't that the Canadian national pastime or something? :smuggrin:

Worst of all, his mother is angry at him (from the Gawker link). And, of course, he's sorry. Isn't that the Canadian national pastime or something? :smuggrin:
The gawker link was from the guy who drank to much and swam the river. He has a funny tale to lord over all his nay saying friends. That's worth way more then saying sorry to your mom.

A good majority of the time we say sorry, we don't mean it as an apology. It can be a polite way of pointing out someone elses dumb assery or mocking them. Someone bumps into you and you say sorry, not because it's polite but because it forces them to acknowledge your presence and apologize to you for what they did. The look on the face counts for more than the actual sorry :hilarious:

Now I'll have to check my globe on this one, but I thought Detroit and Canada are separated by a river. Whisper used to talk about it a lot and post pictures.
Detroit and Windsor are separated by the Detroit River. Windsor is actually south of Detroit. This man was heading north. Should have prepared better.

Back