• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Forensicwx

Final Roll Call 4153. STLCO 10-42 10/13 @ 1519
1z73mmx.jpg

"A group of inmates rescued a female correction officer who was nearly raped by a hulking prisoner inside a locked vestibule on Rikers Island Saturday night, The Daily News has learned.

The inmates helped responding correction officers frantically tear away Plexiglas on the outside of the bubble-like watch post inside the Anna M. Kross Center at 8:15 p.m., according to multiple sources

A skinny inmate slipped inside the so-called “A station” bubble through the small crack and opened the security door. A team of inmates then took down the assailant, Raleek Young, 27, until other officers arrived.

During the attack, Young, who is 5-foot-9 and weighs 290 pounds, pulled down his pants and began masturbating while choking the officer, court records show.

He dragged the officer into an adjacent bathroom and blocked her from opening the security door.

“The matter is under investigation,” said Correction Department spokeswoman Eve Kessler.

The majority of the attack was caught on video, a source who watched the tape said.

Young was able to get inside the bubble area after he claimed he needed to pick up a mattress in another unit and had to pass through the watch post.

He is serving a 5 to 10 years sentence for raping a 13 year-old girl in 2007.

More info at link:
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...7?ref=Outbrain&ADLocation=footer&ADPosition=2

I'm gonna bet this was led by a pod boss, and good on 'em! Extra commissary for these gentlemen!

Last edited:
He was gonna rape, beat and maybe murder her. And these inmates said fuck this noise, not on my watch! Good for them, I bet their families are proud.

A skinny inmate slipped inside the so-called “A station” bubble through the small crack and opened the security door. A team of inmates then took down the assailant, Raleek Young, 27, until other officers arrived.

I love this unnamed skinny inmate. He could have been seriously hurt.

Not all men are all bad, it sure is great that they ganged up and helped her. Maybe the good bad guys can get some extra commissary or something for their help. A pat on the back and an extra snickers bar can go along way in good will.

Well, I put this in Its Not All Sick And Depraved, however it just turned sick. Their calling him a 'jail boss' no clue what that means, if it's the warden or higher, but he is now blaming the victim for her own sexual attack.

"....middle of a self-inflicted controversy after issuing a memo to staff that suggested the victim of an attempted sexual assault by a prisoner brought it on herself.

Correction Commissioner Joseph Ponte warned staff to “adhere closely to basic correctional practices” in a memo issued Tuesday.

The warning came after the Daily News reported Monday that a team of inmates rescued a female correction officer after she was almost raped by a 290-pound prisoner. She was attacked after letting the inmate inside a locked vestibule at Rikers Island on Saturday night, sources told The News.

“For the vast majority of you who make a point to follow your training, thanks and keep up the good work,” read the commissioner’s memo, which was obtained by The News. “For those of you who do not yet realize that reducing violence starts with you, you must do better starting right now.”

Jail bosses were ordered to read the tone-deaf message at 21 consecutive roll calls and post it “in appropriate employee areas.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...boss-blames-guard-near-rape-article-1.2136650

:finger: Commiss...

b
Well, I put this in Its Not All Sick And Depraved, however it just turned sick. Their calling him a 'jail boss' no clue what that means, if it's the warden or higher, but he is now blaming the victim for her own sexual attack.

"....middle of a self-inflicted controversy after issuing a memo to staff that suggested the victim of an attempted sexual assault by a prisoner brought it on herself.

Correction Commissioner Joseph Ponte warned staff to “adhere closely to basic correctional practices” in a memo issued Tuesday.

The warning came after the Daily News reported Monday that a team of inmates rescued a female correction officer after she was almost raped by a 290-pound prisoner. She was attacked after letting the inmate inside a locked vestibule at Rikers Island on Saturday night, sources told The News.

“For the vast majority of you who make a point to follow your training, thanks and keep up the good work,” read the commissioner’s memo, which was obtained by The News. “For those of you who do not yet realize that reducing violence starts with you, you must do better starting right now.”

Jail bosses were ordered to read the tone-deaf message at 21 consecutive roll calls and post it “in appropriate employee areas.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...boss-blames-guard-near-rape-article-1.2136650

:finger: Commiss...
blaming her is atypical bad call bs especially in the manner done. reiterating safety procedures yeah that does need to be done as a momentary lapse can get you killed

When I worked for Monroe we had the NYS prison contract.

During a call to Groveland Correctional Facility, the nurse had forgotten the paperwork and my partner and her went out to collect it, at that moment BOTH guards decided they needed to help, leaving me in a 12 bed infirmary that was full on inmates. In a split second I was being cornered by one big motherfucker slobbering something about a "bitch getting what she deserved". Our patient was out of his bed in a nanosecond and between the two of us, my patient was going to Strong for a liver transplant but had probably 4 to 6 inches on the aggressor. My patient told the aggressor that if he took one more step toward me that it would be the last thing he EVER did, and he was serious. It was a tense minute or so until the guards came back trapped against a wall, across the room fro the door with a man needing a liver transplant the only thing separating me from an inmate who appeared to be hell-bent on rape.

My point is, it's not the victim's fault. I did nothing other than respond to an emergency and because of a mental slip by 2 guards I was almost a victim. BTW, I still consider my patient a hero, he didn't have to get up and help me because the other 10 prisoners didn't, for a moment at least, he completely redeemed himself in my eyes for all his past wrongs (he was a thief not molester or anything).

She probably violated some form of protocol, but I don't think they addressed it appropriately.
Discreet inservices and educational programs can be a lot more effective than droning conference calls with matters like these.

I don't see in that memo where he blames her?

that's what I took from his memo
maybe you should have read FOs second post here and I'm sure she knows much more about this than I do: Well, I put this in Its Not All Sick And Depraved, however it just turned sick. Their calling him a 'jail boss' no clue what that means, if it's the warden or higher, but he is now blaming the victim for her own sexual attack.

The fact that she was nearly raped does not absolve her of responsibility if she failed to follow SOP. Failure to observe protocol, in any profession, can result in a number of negative consequences.

Had she failed to follow protocol and someone else was almost raped - or assaulted, or murdered - as a result, she would bear responsibility. That responsibility doesn't magically disappear because the victim wasn't a separate person. That said, she got the memo the very second this man rushed her, as did any coworker privy to the situation, so a formally-issued, "See? This is what happens..." really isn't necessary. They should have just stuck with standard safety training and protocol reinforcement.

"See? This is what happens..." really isn't necessary.

agreed. But it that blaming her? Or saying--You're a prison guard locked up with dangerous men(the attacker was in prison for a previous sexual assault) be more careful

Last edited:
I
agreed. But it that blaming her? Or saying--You're a prison guard locked up with dangerous men(the attacker was in prison for a previous sexual assault) be more careful
agree with you 100 percent being careful it's a job I would never do as a female or in general as it would freak me out too much but what I was commenting on was what FO had commented on and I have seen it with female friends in positions of authority especially within law enforcement [fire department too]. Some times their overlords [sorry can't think of the right word] are more critical of them. I feel that they should have made a big reiteration of being careful without making her look bad
or singling her out from what I perceived in the manner it sounded like they were doing. Two other people on here have seemed to have that type of duty in the past or presently and they seemed to feel that way and I was taking what they said as they would know more than me. I would be a bad prison guard as I probably would shoot anyone that looked at me crosseyed if they were a violent offender

Exactly what I was trying to get at. This isn't "victim-blaming" in the traditional sense. It wasn't classy, but it wasn't, "How dare you wear yoga pants," or "You shouldn't have walked to your dog by yourself at night." If - again, if - she broke protocol and this was the result, we're talking about strict procedures specifically designed to prevent this kind of thing (and many others).

If a woman at my work removes the guard on a machine and that machine chews her up some, she could be reprimanded. Now, my company chooses not to do that, typically, as the injury is reprimand enough, and the very fact that it happened is a real-life reminder of why guards are important and should never be removed just to save a few seconds. We send out a company-wide "This happened," letter without naming the injured, just to answer questions and gently reinforce the importance of safety. But we don't actually say, "...and this is why you should never remove a guard," or anything. It's a very plain, unassuming statement of the facts.

That's the route this place should have gone.

Exactly what I was trying to get at. This isn't "victim-blaming" in the traditional sense. It wasn't classy, but it wasn't, "How dare you wear yoga pants," or "You shouldn't have walked to your dog by yourself at night." If - again, if - she broke protocol and this was the result, we're talking about strict procedures specifically designed to prevent this kind of thing (and many others).

If a woman at my work removes the guard on a machine and that machine chews her up some, she could be reprimanded. Now, my company chooses not to do that, typically, as the injury is reprimand enough, and the very fact that it happened is a real-life reminder of why guards are important and should never be removed just to save a few seconds. We send out a company-wide "This happened," letter without naming the injured, just to answer questions and gently reinforce the importance of safety. But we don't actually say, "...and this is why you should never remove a guard," or anything. It's a very plain, unassuming statement of the facts.

That's the route this place should have gone.

I can't rate this any higher than awesome response. But I felt the need to reply, just to say, yet again, awesome response!

I find it interesting that when inmate on male staff attacks happen, "the institution" fails to protect the male officers. Security slip ups, etc. it's always a broad, across the table issue.

The fact that these inmates were able to break down the plexi glass to help this female CO, tells me that this risk has always existed, and could've been utilized at any point.

Whether she made a mistake? I don't know. I'm not sure how that bubble works. I don't know what she did to allow this inmate into her area.

I can tell you I was also blamed for an incident that happened between me and three offenders. My injuries didn't matter. It was determined to be my fault in the end. They were punished, but so was I. In the 5 seconds it took me to make a decision, I chose incorrectly. I paid dearly for it.

Idk where Im going with this.

I need to leave this thread. Hits too close to home. :woot:

Back