• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

TheMorningStar

is a catcus
8-Year-Old Leila Fowler Stabbed To Death In Her Home

Authorities were on the hunt Sunday for a crazed killer who broke into a rural northern California home and fatally stabbed a 9-year-old girl.
Residents in Valley Springs, southeast of Sacramento, have been ordered to lock their doors while sheriff’s deputies canvass the community following the discovery of the victim around noon Saturday.

“We were doing a house-to-house search and in some cases were searching attics and storages,â€￾ Calaveras County Sheriff’s Capt. Jim Macedo said Saturday night. “It’s a difficult area to search. It’s rural, it’s remote.â€￾
The 12-year-old brother of the unidentified girl first spotted an intruder inside their home, police said in a news release. The boy then called his parents, who were out at the time, and they alerted 911.

When the man ran off, the boy discovered his sister had been stabbed multiple times. She later died at the hospital.
A neighbor saw the suspect fleeing the scene.
He is described as a white or Hispanic male, about 6 feet tall with a muscular build and longer gray hair. He was wearing a black long-sleeved shirt and blue pants.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...-intruder-killed-calif-girl-article-1.1329594

What was the shitbag's motive? That she caught him burglarizing the house? What was she going to do to him!! He's a murderer now. Big, huge difference between a burglar and a murderer in the legal and penal system. They'll look a lot harder for him, try him with more attention to detail, and put him away a lot longer.

Fatal Stabbing Of 8yo Leila Fowler By Intruder Has California On Massive Manhunt

2wbu9hu.jpg
Fatal stabbing of girl, 8, prompts NorCal manhunt
SAN FRANCISCO -- Residents of a rural Northern California county were being told Sunday to keep their doors locked and report anyone considered suspicious as authorities continued the search for the killer of an 8-year-old girl.

Calaveras County deputies and law enforcement officials from neighboring counties, as well as California Highway Patrol officers and members of the California Department of Justice, were looking for a suspect after Leila Fowler was found stabbed in her Valley Springs home around noon Saturday.

The girl was found by her brother - reported by local media to be 12-years-old - after he encountered a male intruder in the home. When the intruder ran away, the boy found his sister stabbed. She was pronounced dead at a local hospital, officials said.

Initially Leila was reported as being 9-years-old, but Coroner Kevin Raggio said Sunday that she would have turned 9 in June.

Authorities spent Saturday night and into Sunday conducting a door-to-door sweep of homes scattered across hilly terrain, checking storage sheds and horse stables, and even searching attics.

"It is a difficult area to search, it's rural, remote," sheriff's Capt. Jim Macedo said.

Reverse 911 calls and Nixle mass notifications alerted area residents about the incident and the search for the suspect, officials said.

"I was working on my tractor and a CHP copter kept flying over my house," area resident Roger Ballew, 35, told The Associated Press on Sunday.

A SWAT team showed up at his house Saturday night and told him to stay inside, Ballew said.

"It was nerve-wracking, I didn't sleep well," he said.

Investigators on Sunday were interviewing several people, but no suspects had been named by late afternoon. Investigators were checking out tips that had come in to the sheriff's office, including leads and tips that came from outside Calaveras County, officials said.

"It's just terrible," area resident Paul Gschweng told Sacramento television station KCRA. "What can I say about it, it's just a tragedy."

The station reported that a neighbor told police that a man was running from the girl's home after the incident.

The suspect was seen wearing a black shirt and blue pants. Authorities considered him armed and dangerous.

Investigators were asking area residents to call authorities if they had any information, or knew of anyone who may have unexplained injuries, or may have left the area unexpectedly after the girl was killed.

Valley Springs is a community of about 2,500 people in an unincorporated area of Calaveras County, known as "Gold Country," in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains, about 60 miles southeast of Sacramento.

The county became world-famous in 1865 with Mark Twain's short story
[....]
http://www.sacbee.com/2013/04/28/5378413/fatal-stabbing-of-girl-8-prompts.html#storylink=cpy

Leila Fowler Killed, 8-Year-Old Murdered by Intruder in Valley Springs
A manhunt in California is underway as police search for a man who killed Leila Fowler, an 8-year-old girl, in the city of Valley Springs. Her brother, 12, saw the intruder and called the parents. Unfortunately it was too late to save the little girl’s life.
Leila Fowler was stabbed repeatedly. She was taken to a local hospital (Valley Springs is approximately 60 miles from Sacramento) but died shortly after arrival.

The brother has described the intruder as a six-foot male with long gray hear and a strong build. He’s either Hispanic or white and was wearing a dark shirt with long sleeves and jeans (or blue pants).
[...]
http://www.everyjoe.com/2013/04/28/...rdered-intruder-valley-springs/#ixzz2Ro2iPONU

Calaveras Schools Superintendent Issues Statement on Leila Fowler’s Killing

Schools in the Calaveras Unified School District will be open Monday, two days after 8-year-old Leila Fowler was stabbed to death [....]

Mark Campbell, the district’s superintendent, said in a statement Sunday, “As we all grapple with the tragic and senseless loss of one of our own, we do so knowing that we will be ready to do what is necessary to provide a safe environment for students and for staff, and to stand unified and strong as we provide whatever level of support and assistance that is necessary to help the family, our students, our parents and our staff process the unthinkable.â€￾

Campbell added that counselors will be on hand at Jenny Lind Elementary, Toyon Middle School and Calaveras High School. There will also be an added law enforcement presence at Jenny Lind elementary and bus stops nearby.
[...]
http://fox40.com/2013/04/28/calaver...ement-on-leila-fowlers-killing/#ixzz2Ro3lNXjV

No suspects in California girl's stabbing death, officials say
CNN) -- Investigators have no suspect in the stabbing death of a 9-year-old girl in her California home Saturday, a law enforcement official said Sunday.

Leila Fowler's brother found the child with "severe injuries" in the Calaveras County, California, home Saturday, and she was pronounced dead later at a hospital, according to Calaveras County Sheriff Capt. Jim Macedo.

[...]
The brother, who was not named, "is not a suspect at this time, but we are continuing to talk to him, which would be normal because he was the last person with the child," he said.

Detectives are tracking down dozens of leads phoned into a tip line created Saturday, including some leading to other counties, he said.

A search of the family's home overnight Saturday gave investigators a "substantial amount of evidence," he said.

He would not describe how the girl was killed.

Witnesses have given police three differing descriptions of a possible intruder into the home, he said. The Sheriff's Office is not releasing any of those descriptions, Macedo said.
"We don't want to lead anybody in the wrong direction," he said.

A widespread search is being conducted for clues, he said.
[...]
http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/28/us/california-stabbing-death/

found this on a site just someone saying how rare this kinda attack is
Sister killed older brother in homeIm not saying brother was involved just showing couple times its happened before

No pics of her released yet that I can find Ive searched everywhere

Last edited:
Victim's Name Released - Age Corrected

As police searched for the intruder who authorities believe fatally stabbed an 8-year-old girl in her Calaveras County home, the rural community where she lived was left stunned.

Leila Fowler was found in her Valley Springs home Saturday afternoon and pronounced dead at a hospital. Her 12-year-old brother had called for help, saying he'd encountered a male intruder in the house. (The girl, a third-grader, was previously said to be 9 years old.)

Multiple law enforcement agencies are still searching for a suspect described as a white or Latino man, about 6 feet tall with a muscular build, last seen wearing a black long-sleeved shirt and blue pants.
Authorities were conducting a door-to-door sweep of homes, checking storage sheds and horse stables and searching attics. “It is a difficult area to search. It's rural, remote,â€￾ sheriff's Capt. Jim Macedo told the Associated Press.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...ome-tragic-senseless-20130428,0,7543566.story

Last edited:
Police Looking For Person Who Stabbed 8-Year-Old Leila Fowler To Death

VALLEY SPRINGS, CA – Calaveras County sheriff’s deputies are searching for the man who broke into a home and repeatedly stabbed 8-year-old Leila Fowler to death.
Leila Fowler’s 12-year-old brother told police that around noon on Saturday he encountered a white or Hispanic male inside his home. When the man fled, the boy went to check on Leila and found that she had been stabbed multiple times.
He called 911, but Leila was later pronounced dead at hospital. “She was suffering from some severe injuries,â€￾ said Cpt. Jim Macedo.
A neighbor told police they saw the same man running from the home, leading police to setup a search perimeter in an effort to catch the suspect described as being 6 feet tall with a muscular build and wearing a black long-sleeved shirt and blue pants.
Residents were told the man is considered armed and dangerous and were informed by police to lock their doors as deputies searched the area. “We were doing a house-to-house search and in some cases were searching attics and storages.…

This article was written by Morbid for The Dreamin Demon - the Internet's self-appointed buzzkill.

"Read the full Front Page article..."

Investigators searching for evidence in the stabbing death of an 8-year-old girl were looking Friday at several knives taken from her home to determine if one could have inflicted the fatal wounds.

Sgt. Chris Hewitt of the Calaveras County Sheriff's Office said investigators had taken "several knives from the home," but he would say little else about them.

"We don't want to put too many details out there that could taint our interviews," Hewitt said.

Victim Leila Fowler shared the home with her father, stepmother, 12-year-old brother and two older siblings. Family members are being questioned at this point only as witnesses, he said.

The 12-year-old discovered Fowler's body a week ago while the parents were at a Little League game. He said he saw the assailant and described him as being tall with long gray hair.

A witness who said she also saw the man flee has since recanted and is no longer credible, Hewitt said.

"It's a mystery. She never gave any indication she recanted because she was in fear of her safety," he said.

Hewitt said that while meeting with a sketch artist and detectives Wednesday, the unidentified witness, who was reported to be a neighbor, refused to provide a description so a composite sketch could be made of the man.

Her account had been considered significant to identifying Leila's killer because her earlier descriptions had matched the one provided by the brother. The witness, however, reported seeing the suspect headed in the opposite direction than the brother had reported.

"Though this may seem like a setback in the investigation, it is actually a positive result in that it allows the investigators to narrow the scope of their investigation," Hewitt said of the witness' statements turning out to be unreliable.
http://www.sacbee.com/2013/05/03/5392266/witness-recants-story-in-calif.html

Calaveras County Sheriff Gary Kuntz announced Monday he had received some “positiveâ€￾ DNA results back from the state Department of Justice in his office’s investigation of the death of 8-year-old Leila Fowler.

When asked to elaborate on what he meant by “positive,â€￾ Kuntz said he could not comment further but added, “We’re making real progress.â€￾

“The results are coming in, and I feel confident,â€￾ Kuntz said.

Later in the same daily press briefing, Sgt. Chris Hewitt said the DNA results are “one step closer to getting somebody in custody.â€￾ He said “positiveâ€￾ meant “helpful to the case.â€￾
[...]

Why the house and entire road are still blocked off from the public was a point of contention at the conference. One reporter said it has been nine days since the child’s murder and it seems like a long time to still be processing the scene.

“We’re talking about the murder of an 8-year-old girl,â€￾ Hewitt shot back. “We have to be thorough.â€￾

“We’re making progress each day,â€￾ Kuntz said Sunday of the investigation, adding the ongoing effort is “purposeful and focused.â€￾

“A few things are getting close,â€￾ he continued, though he declined to elaborate.
[...]

The Federal Bureau of Investigation threw its weight behind the Sheriff’s Office last week to aid in the evidence collection process. Once key pieces of evidence are collected, they are shipped off to the state Department of Justice for analysis.

Several knives were recovered in the investigation and are now being analyzed to determine whether they were used in the killing.

Kuntz said the “scientific processâ€￾ involved in analyzing crime scene evidence at Department of Justice crime labs is “lengthy,â€￾ meaning anxious members of the public are simply going to have to wait.
[...]

The investigation has taken unexpected turns, perhaps the most notable claimed to have seen leaving the Fowler home around the time the stabbing occurred. The witness was discredited after failing to cooperate with investigators who were trying to work with her to develop a sketch of a suspect.

An artist’s drawing had yet to be released as of Monday.

Retired FBI profile Candice DeLong said it’s likely the killer knew Leila and perhaps was a member of her family’s circle of friends, family or neighbors, according to a report from CBS News. She doubts this was a random killing.

Kuntz said the process of narrowing in on potential suspects might be a lengthy process.
http://www.calaverasenterprise.com/news/article_76cb7ea4-b72c-11e2-a4a6-001a4bcf887a.html

I knew I had been on this site too long when that was my first thought on reading the story. I wish, I wish I was wrong.
A healthy dose of common sense would lead many to the same conclusion even if they didn't hang out here. The killing of an 8yo in her home is far more likely to be someone in the home than a whackadoodle wandering in, killing her, and leaving without being seen, taking anything, or leaving behind a clue. LE was covering all bases when they warned the community about the whackadoodle but they also continued to look at the most obvious suspect.

Awwww CRAP! I was thinking about the brother but was so hoping it wasn't. I cannot imagine anything worse than this. Why oh Why would he do this? And sadly I have a couple answers to that Question, too.

Valley Springs, CA – Police arrested 12-year-old *Isaiah*Fowler on Saturday and will be charging him with the death of his 8-year-old sister, Leila Fowler, who was murdered last month.
On April 27, the Isaiah and Leila were home alone when Leila was stabbed more than twenty times inside their home. The brother told police he saw a man with long grey hair leaving their home and found his sister suffering from multiple stab wounds. A neighbor also told police they’d also seen the man running from the scene.
Police began an intensive search for the suspect while residents were told he was considered armed and dangerous and instructed to lock their doors as deputies searched the area. Authorities searched the home and neighborhood, while dive teams searched two reservoirs near the house.
Aside from possible fingerprints and DNA found in the home, and a possible link to an abduction attempt in a nearby town, police didn’t seem to be getting any closer to finding the person responsible. But in a statement issued Saturday, Sheriff Gary Kuntz informed the public they could sleep safely as they’d found the person responsible – Isaiah Fowler.…

This article was written by Morbid for The Dreamin Demon - the Internet's self-appointed buzzkill.

"Read the full Front Page article..."

This was published Friday night. Isaiah was arrested Saturday.

Leila Fowler’s Mom Says Not Finding Killer Makes Her Loss Worse
“No mother wants to bury her child,â€￾ said Priscilla Rodriquez.

Priscilla is mother not only to Leila, but to her 12-year-old brother. He’s the one who told investigators he saw a man running away the day of the killing, and then discovered Leila stabbed to death inside the home he shared with his sister and their father.

“I know my son has always been protective of his sister,â€￾ Priscilla said. “He’s having a really hard time, he’s really struggling.

That boy, the only witness interviewed by detectives who so far haven’t named a suspect. Now his mom says he’s having a tough time with the gruesome images that market the beginning of life without his sister.

“I know he needs his mommy, just like I need him.â€￾

The hardest part is not knowing who took her daughter away and why.

“When I think of what she went through and what happened to her,â€￾ she said before tearing up.

Priscilla says a bitter custody battle drove a wedge between her and the children’s father. Now, she’s a mother in mourning, yearning for closure.

She knows an arrest won’t bring Leila back, but hopes the killer is locked up soon.

“I don’t understand how anyone could hurt a child, a defenseless little girl, in her room.â€￾
http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013...says-not-finding-killer-makes-her-loss-worse/

Neighbors of a 12-year-old murder suspect had doubts about his story of a stranger stabbing his 8-year-old sister to death.
[...]

A neighbor who only gave his first name as Don, was watering his roses within sight of the home where Leila was stabbed said didn’t see or hear any commotion at the house during the time of the incident.

“If I had stabbed a girl, I’m running out of the front of that house and taking off. . .I didn’t see nothing come out of that house,â€￾ said Don.

Other neighbors wondered why the boy didn’t come out of the house looking for help.

“No screaming, no yelling, no ‘bloody murder’, the dogs didn’t bark,â€￾ said neighbor Christy Larson.

She and Don have dogs that bark when anyone gets within 30 feet of their property. Soon after the murder a neighbor came forward and said she saw a suspected fitting the description of a man the 12-year-old brother gave to police but recanted.

After that, many neighbors suspected the boy made up the story of an intruder.

“It was a feeling I guess…it was an awful feeling, but it was a feeling,â€￾ said Larson.
http://fox40.com/2013/05/13/neighbors-had-doubts-about-12-year-old-murder-suspect/

Leila Fowler’s 12-year-old brother, Isaiah Fowler, who was charged with second-degree murder Tuesday, appeared in court Wednesday morning for a short detention hearing and was held to answer for his alleged crime by Superior Court Judge John E. Martin.
[...]

Isaiah’s hair was cropped short, and he wore a green jumpsuit and had chains around his waist. Throughout the proceeding, he remained calm and fairly unexpressive. He chuckled at one point after the bailiff made a comment to him and a nearby Calaveras County Probation Officer. In contrast to Isaiah’s behavior, his biological father, Barney, and mother, Patricia Rodriguez, cried softly with looks of agony on their faces while sitting in the front row of the courtroom.
[...]

The judge asked Isaiah’s father and mother if they knew of any American Indian heritage. Isaiah’s mother said “no” and his father said he believed there may be some.

“I’ll look into it,” he said.

As of Wednesday afternoon, it was unclear why the judge asked this question.
[...]

The maximum term for second degree murder in an adult trial is 16 years to life. In this case, Martin said the court could only legally hold him until he was 23 years old. Some legal experts suggest he may serve a significantly shorter time in the state’s custody and be paroled before he reaches 20.

Throughout the proceeding Wednesday, Martin asked Isaiah if he understood, and he always softly answered in the affirmative.

In other related news, a 911 call between Crystal Walters, Leila’s father’s fiancé, and a sheriff’s dispatcher, which took place on the day Leila was killed, was released Tuesday. Walters was not at her home on Rippon Road in Valley Springs; she was at a Little League game nearby. A portion of the conversation went as follows:

Dispatch: Hi, 911 how can I help you?

Walters: My children are home alone and a man just ran out of my house. My older son was in the bathroom and my daughter started screaming.
[...]

Dispatch: How old are your kids?

Walters: 12 and 9.

Dispatch: OK. You had a break-in?

Walters: Yeah.

Dispatch: Did they see the man? Were they able to describe him?

Walters: They did see him, yes. My daughter is freaking out right now.
[...]
http://www.calaverasenterprise.com/news/article_e06c961e-bda2-11e2-8813-001a4bcf887a.html

The father of a 12-year-old boy accused of fatally stabbing his 8-year-old sister said Monday he will believe his son is innocent until he sees evidence that proves otherwise.

Barney Fowler told The Associated Press the family is backing the boy, who was arrested Saturday after a crime that terrified this Central California foothill community.

"Until they have the proper evidence to show it's my son, we're standing behind him," Fowler said. "If they have the evidence, well that's another story. We're an honest family."
[...]

He echoed comments made earlier Monday by his son, Justin Fowler, 19, who told the AP the family was in shock and extremely sad about the boy's arrest.

"We're just in a fog," Justin Fowler said.
[...]

The Fowler family is now trying to cope with what could be a double tragedy.

"We're just trying to stay positive, but it's hard," Justin Fowler said.

Days after his sister's killing, the 12-year-old brother appeared at a vigil for her. Justin was photographed with the name "Leila" written on his forearm. Barney Fowler attended with his fiance, Krystal Walters.

"We're a strong family," Barney Fowler said Monday. "We're staying strong."
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Brother-Family-shocked-sadden-by-murder-arrest-4510310.php

Even before April 27, when 8-year-old Leila Fowler was fatally stabbed in her home near Valley Springs, the Fowler family had troubles.
[...]

Although the adults in the Fowler family have said little publicly, court records show it was a household that struggled financially and combined five children born to at least three different mothers.

"I juggle month-to-month to get by," Barney Fowler, 37, the head of the household and father of the five children living there wrote in an April 19 document in which he asked ex-wife Shirley Fowler to pay child support for their 14-year-old daughter, Alexis.

Court documents, birth announcements and other records show that Barney Fowler is the father to at least seven different children born to at least four different women, including a 2-year-old child living with its mother in Idaho.

Child support disputes are not the only reason Barney Fowler has appeared in court. He pleaded no contest to one misdemeanor count of second-degree burglary on July 16, 2009, for breaking into a storage unit.

According to Sheriff reports, Fowler went to Storage Max in French Camp, where he rents a unit, on Dec. 30, 2008. Instead of going to his own rental, he drove to another unit, broke its hinge and lock and opened it.

Fowler told deputies he broke into the storage to take property because the owner of that unit owed him money, reports say.

Fowler, who was listed as living in Stockton at the time, was convicted in San Joaquin County Superior Court and ordered to pay $300 in restitution. He was sentenced to three days in jail.

Court files show sources of particular stress, if not heartbreak, for Leila and the 12-year-old brother charged with her murder.

The file for a child support dispute between Barney Fowler and Priscilla Rodriguez, the mother of Leila and her 12-year-old brother, indicates that she rarely saw the children for years at a time, has sometimes been homeless, and survives on a tiny monthly disability check.

In 2012, Barney Fowler wrote that "There has only been one attempt by Priscilla to see the kids in the last 3-4 years, which I allowed her to see them. It was by her choice a 10-15 minute visit Feb. 2011. No other attempts have been made. Her number was changed and she moved."

Rodriguez acknowledged in her written statement to the court in 2012 that she had not seen her children much but gave a different explanation.

"When I was no longer able to give money to Barney Fowler he then would not let me speak to the children any more. I am on SSI (disability) and barely able to survive. I am homeless right now when I was giving him money last year I was going without food for myself. I am not trying to avoid helping my children financially but at this point I am unable to give him anything. I am constantly looking for work to help. I only wish to be able to speak with and see my children."

Documents indicate that Rodriguez receives $533 a month in disability. A court in August last year ordered her to pay $114 a month to Barney Fowler.

In May of 2012, a judge ordered Barney Fowler to seek employment so he'd be able to pay child support to Kimberley Claire Kitto of Pocatello, Idaho, the mother of his son, Ogden James Kitto-Fowler, born in 2010.

More recent documents indicate that since last year Barney Fowler has been working as a boat mechanic at Pacific Boat Services in Lodi and that he has been paying Kitto $282 a month in child support.
[...]

Barney Fowler's request that Shirley Fowler pay him $566 a month in child support is scheduled for a hearing in Calaveras Superior Court on June 5.

Meanwhile on Thursday a truck and trailer left the Rippon Road home, apparently moving family possessions to a new location.
http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130517/A_NEWS/305170322

Good grief you need a score card to keep all that separate. Child support coming in, child support going out, I'm sure a troubled, chaotic family life. I wonder why they all didn't go to the ball game? I'm not saying they couldn't stay by themselves at home, in my opinion they were somewhat old enough to stay home, just barely old enough, so I'm not passing judgement there, but I would think they all would wanna go to the ball park and play around with friends and watch the ball game. Just a chance to run wild in the sunshine for an hour or two.

Father breaks silence, defends son's innocence:
Barney Fowler, the father of a 12-year-old boy accused of killing his sister earlier this year, said Monday that he was the first person who arrived at the family's Valley Springs home the day his daughter, Leila Fowler, was killed.

"I saw (my son's) demeanor. I saw the two weeks after that. I don't think he did it," Fowler told KCRA 3's Mike TeSelle.

Fowler, wearing sunglasses, sat next to his fiancee, Crystal Walters, and his oldest son, Justin, for an exclusive interview Monday, breaking his public silence.

"I went in and carried my daughter's body out and was gonna take her to the hospital because I felt she was still alive," said Fowler.
[...]

Fowler and his fiancee also talked about the community's reaction after Fowler's son was arrested.

"The sad thing is a lot of people who were great and kind to us kind of turned their backs on us," said Fowler.

Walters even shared stories about how people have taken pictures of her 4-year-old son crying at a T-Ball game, and of the family eating lunch in public.

"They stare at us and record us while we're eating at Burger King. And then it hits social media and it's 'Oh my god, the Fowlers' were at Burger King and they were smiling,'" said Walters.

Walters also spoke about how painful it is to see mean-spirited messages on social media from people they've never met.

"I guarantee none of those people would want to switch places with us for even a second. We are not the people we are portrayed to be on social media," said Walters.

Fowler said the harassment has not affected the family emotionally, but it has also made it impossible to find a new place to rent.

"Our kids are scared to death to be home alone or even go out anywhere alone," said Fowler.

Leila's father also revealed that he still hasn't been able to grieve his daughter's death.

"We couldn't even deal with the fact she was gone before we had to jump in and defend (my son)," said Fowler.

He added that beyond harassment from the community, his family has also had to deal with a lack of respect from law enforcement.

"We asked them on the day of the (funeral) to leave us alone. As we were at the grave, the cemetery, there's a text message that we need to call the D.A. before we watch the news," said Fowler.

By speaking out, Fowler is hoping for compassion and understanding for his family as they struggle to make sense of what happened to Leila Fowler inside that Valley Springs home.

"The community wants answers. We want answers. We can't let anybody know what happened in that house that day. We don't know the answers to those questions and we're the parents," said Walters.
http://www.kcra.com/news/leila-fowl...7728/21438752/-/item/0/-/wjvypiz/-/index.html

That takes a lot of anger and rage to stab someone 20 odd times. I wonder what the fuck made him snap and 2nd degree murder? The little shit thought up a cover story and everything, granted it wasn't a good one but still he had a plan. Good grief.

Leila's brother, who was 12 years old at the time, was arrested in connection to her death. He said there was an intruder who ran away from the home the day his sister was killed.

The boy is now 14 years old and has spent about two years in juvenile hall.

“I think (the family is) frustrated he spends his youth behind bars while this gets sorted out,” Attorney Steve Plesser said. "I think it's inappropriate to house a youth in his prime for that time period."

The boy's attorneys argued that the case revolves around shaky circumstantial evidence.

They also said new evidence from the Department of Justice indicates that an intruder was present at the time of the stabbing, and that there was unidentified DNA on a hair under the victim.
http://www.kcra.com/news/local-news...uld-free-boy-in-fowler-stabbing-case/31386210

Isiah Fowler will spend the next eight years in a state lockup under the sentence a judge ordered for him Wednesday in Calaveras Superior Court. Fowler was convicted in October of second degree murder for the April 27, 2013, stabbing death of his sister Leila.

At the time he was 13. Leila was 8.

Defense attorneys and Fowler’s family continue to insist he is innocent and someone else committed the crime. It was that story, initially put forth by Isiah, of an alleged intruder invading a Valley Springs home and killing a little girl that shocked and grieved Valley Springs’ residents.

Judge Thomas A. Smith said during the sentencing hearing that DNA evidence showing Leila’s blood on a knife found in the house “was probably the most compelling evidence in the case.” He also noted that Isiah made a statement admitting he had picked up a knife, although he denies killing his sister.

Smith said that the sentence for second degree murder conviction in such a case is 16 years to life. Smith also gave Isiah credit for 908 days he has already been locked up since his arrest. That would mean he has about another 13.5 years to serve.

Isiah, now 15, won’t be locked up nearly that long, however. The state Division of Juvenile Justice (formerly known as the California Youth Authority) can, with rare exceptions, only hold a youngster until he turns 23.

Smith congratulated Isiah for his strong academic progress while he’s been held in a juvenile hall during court proceedings and said that the O.H. Close Youth Correctional Facility near Stockton would offer plenty of challenging classes, including some at the college level.

“You will be able to complete high school,” Smith said.

Speaking outside the courthouse after the sentencing hearing, Barney Fowler said he believes appealing his son’s murder conviction will open the possibility for a “fair trial” because it will be heard “out of the county.”

“They have the wrong person, still,” Barney Fowler said of his son’s conviction.

District Attorney Barbara Yook called the sentence “justice for Leila,” but only a “measure of justice” because of limits to the length of time minors can be incarcerated.

“It has been just an unimaginable tragedy for the Fowler family and the whole community,” Yook told reporters outside the courthouse shortly after the sentencing.

During the sentencing hearing, Yook said she hopes the support Isiah will have at the O.H. Close Youth Correctional Facility will make it possible to “figure out what it is that caused him to commit this heinous crime.”

Isiah Fowler did not speak during the hearing. Instead, his attorney Mark Reichel spoke on his behalf. Reichel said that his client “looks forward to the day he will be exonerated.”

Later, outside the courthouse, Reichel told news reporters “We will speak to you when the real killer is found.”
http://www.calaverasenterprise.com/news/article_b36a475c-8351-11e5-a705-7785c2760f1b.html
[doublepost=1516526163,1516525994][/doublepost]
isaiah-fowler.jpg

Back