• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

sugarfree irony

Trusted Member
Over the last 62 years, more than 4,000 climbers have replicated the pair’s feat, with hundreds more attempting to do so during the two-month climbing season each spring, according to the Associated Press.

Along the way, people have left oxygen canisters, broken climbing equipment, trash, human waste and even dead bodies in their wake, transforming the once pristine peak into a literal pile of … well, you get the idea.
This week, Ang Tshering, president of Nepal Mountaineering Association, warned that pollution — particularly human waste — has reached critical levels and threatens to spread disease on the world’s highest peak.
Everest even has a sewage problem. When base camp’s outhouse barrels are filled, porters haul them to open pits near Gorak Shep. Meanwhile, above base camp, most climbers straddle small crevasses to relieve themselves. The result: The peak has become a fecal time bomb, and the mess is gradually sliding back toward base camp. In 2012, Swiss climber Ueli Steck told me that he won’t even boil snow for water at Everest’s Camp II, because he thinks the lower boiling temperature at that altitude won’t kill germs.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...te-have-made-mount-everest-a-fecal-time-bomb/

Last weekend, I watched a special on Mt. Everest. Totally shocking to see the line of people climbing it. Seriously! It looked like the lines at some theme park or something. Ability doesn't matter, its all about money. The Sherpas will carry you all the way of they have to. You should have seen all the pussified "luxury" gear these rich tourists were making the Sherpas carry. Twisted stuff. Humans suck.

You should have seen all the pussified "luxury" gear these rich tourists were making the Sherpas carry. Twisted stuff. Humans suck.
I did some trekking in Nepal (like hiking, but hiking is for pussies) and would see porters carrying multiple full-sized backpacks, because the tourists didn't want to carry their own pack. To further rub it in, these people were so cheap that they would split a porter with 1 or 2 other people, make the guy carry 3 packs and split the cost.

Well, you guys both made my point. Leave it to gd human beings to f**k shit up, over, and everything in between. :punch:

I have a friend that climbed, and he said it was disgusting all the waste and trash all over the place.

I think more people should look at ways to clean it up there - too many can 'climb' the mountain these days (due to the Sherpa's helping and money investments galore - hell, overweight, poorly trained and non-athletic people can now claim to 'climb' it) and I think it would be more rewarding to be able to offer a solution to a problem. Probably more notoriety too!

I thought you were always supposed to leave a place cleaner than you found it. That's what we learned in Cub Scouts and I still do it when I go somewhere, I always clean up. They need to require everyone to bring down two 30 gallon trashbags full when they hike up. If you're carrying it $10 off your trek, if the guide is carrying then he gets an extra $10. Pipe dreams, I know.

I thought you were always supposed to leave a place cleaner than you found it. That's what we learned in Cub Scouts and I still do it when I go somewhere, I always clean up.

Right? I even quit throwing trash out my car window when I got my first driver's license and had to start dodging giant bags of fast food trash in the streets! How people can look at such amazing places in the world and leave evidence of our stinkin' species all over it via GARBAGE is really saying something about humanity. And "sharing" Sherpas. JHC. Are you kidding me? Ugh! :vomit:

I thought you were always supposed to leave a place cleaner than you found it. That's what we learned in Cub Scouts and I still do it when I go somewhere, I always clean up. They need to require everyone to bring down two 30 gallon trashbags full when they hike up. If you're carrying it $10 off your trek, if the guide is carrying then he gets an extra $10. Pipe dreams, I know.
I like the way you think, but I feel a few zeros need to be added to the amount for anyone to give a dam

The Climb—$35,000 to $100,000

An Everest climb starts at around $35,000 because mountain permits begin at $10,000 (the price varies based on the number in the expedition). In addition, a virtual village of Sherpas—porters, cooks, and guides—is required to get you to the top. For the $100,000 price tag, outfitters such as Himalayan Experience or International Mountain Guides offer climbers their own Western guide and Sherpa, as well as the option of using bottled oxygen all the way to the top. These prices don’t include the $1,500 to $3,500 airplane ticket to get to Nepal, depending on whether you fly first class or coach.

http://business.time.com/2012/01/23/the-economics-of-everest/

There are several drivers for the price increases. First the permit cost has gone up, not down as advertised by the Ministry. It is now a flat $11,000 per climber instead of $70,000 for a team of 7 or $10,000 per climber. Second, after the tragic deaths of 16 mountain workers in 2014, many companies will increase the life insurance required by the Ministry. It is now USD$15K up from USD$10K for what they call High Altitude Workers. Most operators will abide by these new levels but it is unclear if the requirement will be enforced evenly across the board and those competing on price will meet the requirement. The third reason for increased costs is inflation. Nepal’s inflation rate is currently 9.47%.

http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2014/12/15/everest-2014-cost-climb-everest/

I've been keeping up with Everest for awhile now. It is truly sad how they have dishonored such an amazing sight.
The only way it's going to change is if they start losing money.
They have been using dead bodies as markers for years up there, citing it too dangerous and expensive to remove them. What the fuck ever.
Google green boots Everest or Everest deaths and be prepared to be disgusted.

Every climber must descend with 18lbs worth of trash or risk losing up to $8000 worth of their climbing deposit, forfeited to the govt of Nepal.

This does not include poop. I don't think.

I'm gonna see if my little sweetie pie, Sandesh (long "e" and sweetie pie as in I'd adopt him as a son) has any feedback on this crap (literally) since he's from Nepal with family in Tibet, too. This is just sickening. He's here on an Engineering scholarship. He works at the gas station up the street from me. He just got married in 2012, the only time he's been home since 2011, and is always showing me pics of his wife (GORgeous - she got married in deep, bright red. My kinda gal, lol) and putting her on speaker phone so we can say hi and chit chat once in awhile when I come in. He also shows me any new pics of his family and friends in his tribe. He is the sweetest, most hard-working kid his age I know. He's carrying 15 hrs. at UMKC on top of working a full-time and a part-time job and he's only 23. I luuuurve him (in a non-icky, mommy kinda way).

And, get this - his tribe is MATRIarchal (!!!) :jawdrop::D

These prices don’t include the $1,500 to $3,500 airplane ticket to get to Nepal,

That's it? I've paid that to go from shit states like South Dakota to states on the east.

is always showing me pics of his wife (GORgeous - she got married in deep, bright red. My kinda gal, lol) and putting her on speaker phone so we can say hi and chit chat once in awhile when I come in

Sounds to me like he's trying to set something up here. Post vids/pics when/if it happens.

I've read up on this shit too whilst in doctors offices reading thei rnationa geographics, which have done some extensive stories on the problems. Damn fucking shame. I just don't get where all the trash comes from. Why fuck it up like that, why leave shit behind instead of taking it back down with you? Just sickening laziness. And youd think these people would appreciate the beauty and isolation of Everest, figure that'd be one of the major draws that attracted climbers in the first place. Instead they get theer, say fuck it, and trash it.

Back