• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

maddhattie

This is my first time starting a thread, but this one happened in my backyard, so here goes...

NEWTON, N.C. —

“Police in Newton charged a man with murder after he was accused of causing “horrific trauma” to his girlfriend’s 7-month-old son which ultimately led to the infant's death Thursday.

Officers said they responded to 711-E Sandalwood Court Dec. 31 to assist EMS on a call. They said when they got there they were told that the boy was found not breathing by his mother’s boyfriend, Tyler Linebarger.

The child was rushed to Catawba Valley Medical Center for treatment.

Linebarger, 23, told officers that the child was lying on the sofa asleep and that he went upstairs to take a shower. He then told police that when he came back downstairs the child was lying on the floor.

Police said Linebarger told them that he picked up the child and placed him back on the sofa and went back upstairs.

When Linebarger returned downstairs, he said he noticed the child blue and not breathing. He then said he went to a neighbor’s apartment to call 911.

The child’s mother told officers that she last saw her son at 5:40 a.m. when she left for work and he was fine.

Officers and DSS officials went to the hospital and learned that an examination of the boy at Catawba Valley Medical Center revealed recent and past injuries that were severe in nature. Police said the child was transported to Levine Children’s Hospital in Charlotte for treatment and was immediately taken for surgery upon arrival. The child later died from the injuries

Doctors told investigators that they discovered the child had severe internal injuries located in various parts of the body that were a direct result of “horrific trauma.” Doctors also said that the boy had several older injuries that were in various stages of healing.

Investigators returned to Newton and located Linebarger through his mother, who said she would try to locate him and bring him to Newton Police Headquarters to speak with investigators. After a few hours, Linebarger arrived with his mother but refused to speak with investigators without counsel present, according to police.

On Thursday, police arrested and charged Linebarger with one count of felony child abuse-inflicting serious injury. After the child died, police charged him with murder.

He was transported to the Catawba County Detention Center to appear before a magistrate and is being held under no bond.”

http://m.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/conover-man-arrested-accused-causing-horrific-trau/njd4f/

Tyler-Linebarger-jpg.jpg

He beat the crap out of this baby. Over and over and over again. This child suffered tremendously. Just fry him.

pussy. if you are man enough to beat up a 7-month old, you should be man enough to tell how bad he did you for him to deserve it. and i have zero ill-will towards his mom. at least she did not stand up for him and drag him in...(even if by the ear).

He just looks like the sort who would start snivelling and dribbling the minute a real adult slapped him .

Bully . Coward . Murderer.

Hope he spends the rest of his life in jail being the little bitch that his face fits.

And another Mum was at work while boyfriend baby sits story )sigh(

If that baby had old injuries, then surely he must've had bruises too - I hope this isn't the case and babies Mother didnt know , but usually in these cases some people switch their blind eyes on and off to suit their selfish situational needs .

Any word on charges for the Mom? The medical reports state old and new injuries, so her baby wasn't "fine" as she alleges, he was abused and she either ignored it or saw it and didn't do anything for him.

@Krystal, it's been about 5 days since they've shared any information about the case, but the most recent articles don't say anything about the Mother being charged. However, with old and new injuries on the baby, it's only a matter of time before she joins him in the county jail. Catawba County does not show leniency towards child abusers. :)

Looks like the baby killer will be facing the death penalty, and they are still investigating, so Mom will likely be charged.

NEWTON, NC (WBTV) - It was an unusual day for the legal system in Catawba County on Monday as a murder suspect had his first appearance in court, and was indicted by the Grand Jury just two hours later.

Tyler Leroy Linebarger was arrested last week and charged with murder in the death of 7-month-old Chekeem Jamar Hickman Jr.

The child was taken to a hospital where doctors discovered broken ribs and serious internal injuries. Despite efforts by medical teams, the child died Thursday afternoon.

Linebarger had told authorities he was watching the child but had left it on a sofa and later found the boy on the floor.

Police said information from the doctors was that some of the injuries had been sustained some time before.

Linebarger was originally charged with child abuse, and a charge of murder was added after the baby died. Because of the holidays, the first appearance in court was delayed until Monday.

The District Attorney's office also determined it had enough evidence to present to the Grand Jury on Monday. As a result, Linebarger appeared in court and his case did go before the Grand Jury on the same day.

Two True Bills were returned. One indictment for murder, and a second indictment on a charge of child abuse inflicting serious bodily injury.

The court paperwork does not detail how the injuries to the child happened, but does detail some of the injuries. In one document, Linebarger is accused of an assault on the child "That resulted in serious bodily injury; rib fractures, liver laceration, torn hepatic artery, brain injury, spleen injury and internal bleeding" on the child.

Earlier, in court for his first appearance, Linebarger was advised of his rights and asked if he understood what he was charged with. He told the judge he did.

He was also advised that his charge of felony murder carries a maximum penalty of death. He shook his head yes when the judge asked if he understood that.

Linebarger is being held in the Catawba County Detention Center without bond while awaiting trial.

Investigators are not finished looking into the case. "We are really, really, early in this investigation," said Newton Police Chief Donald Brown.

The chief said it has been an emotional case for his officers. "When you have a child victim it can be tough because about everyone here has kids of their own."

When asked if more charges are possible, the chief said he could not comment on that because of the ongoing investigation.

http://m.wbtv.com/wbtv/db_330726/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=Gw0Lz6FW

Good, she needs to be. Old and new injuries, she failed her child terribly.
Did you see the horrible injuries he inflicted on that poor baby?! They mention them in the beginning, but give more details later in the article. They should add torture to his charges.

I know Tyler Linebarger AND Amber personally, I've been friends with these people for years.. I dont think that Tyler would never hurt a CHILD!? And as for the old injuries, they hadn't been together that long. Tyler was with my friend for a very very long time, had a daughter with her and also, took care of her son like he was his. He was alone with them every day while she was at work and he loved them dearly, he fed them, put them to bed, loved them and nurtured them. He absolutely adored them. I can't speak for Amber and her son or anything because I haven't seen her in a very long time, and I can only imagine what she's feeling. And I can't speak for the fact that Tyler absolutely DIDN'T do this, but I just can't see it. He was a wonderful dad to his daughter and treated the son as if he was his. But, also how could she have not seen the bruises that were on her son? It says that there was bruises on him when medics got on the scene, and she had left for work just before 6:eek:oam, and 911 was called at like 7:20am, those bruises did NOT just come up in that little bit of time that she was gone. My fiancee and I, have been trying to get pregnant for a very long time now, and as a woman that wants a child so bad, I could NEVER imagine not knowing there was something wrong with my child, OR seeing bruises on my child and NOT taking any action in that situation.. I love children and I just can't imagine. I am so sad and heartbroken from this, and the fact that this child obviously went thru so much in the little time it had on this earth, and of course I know it was in pain and that is terribly terribly sad. It is disgusting to me that someone, anyone could EVER hurt a poor innocent child.. Sorry guys, I know this is a lot, I have had this on my mind for a while now and I needed to vent a little bit. And even tho it seems I am sticking up for him in the beggining of this, if he did infact do this then YES I completely and udderly agree with every one of you that thinks he deserves the death penalty because even tho I know him and think that he wouldn't do this, people are capable of anything and you just never know. I just hope that if he didn't do this, that they find out who really did, so that there is justice for the child, and so that they can take that person that done this off the streets and keep them from hurting another child. And if it was tyler, then he needs to be tourtured and beaten like was done to that poor baby. He should have to go to prison and face all the men in there that will beat his ass daily for what he done.

I know Tyler Linebarger AND Amber personally, I've been friends with these people for years.. I dont think that Tyler would never hurt a CHILD!? And as for the old injuries, they hadn't been together that long. Tyler was with my friend for a very very long time, had a daughter with her and also, took care of her son like he was his. He was alone with them every day while she was at work and he loved them dearly, he fed them, put them to bed, loved them and nurtured them. He absolutely adored them. I can't speak for Amber and her son or anything because I haven't seen her in a very long time, and I can only imagine what she's feeling. And I can't speak for the fact that Tyler absolutely DIDN'T do this, but I just can't see it. He was a wonderful dad to his daughter and treated the son as if he was his. But, also how could she have not seen the bruises that were on her son? It says that there was bruises on him when medics got on the scene, and she had left for work just before 6:eek:oam, and 911 was called at like 7:20am, those bruises did NOT just come up in that little bit of time that she was gone. My fiancee and I, have been trying to get pregnant for a very long time now, and as a woman that wants a child so bad, I could NEVER imagine not knowing there was something wrong with my child, OR seeing bruises on my child and NOT taking any action in that situation.. I love children and I just can't imagine. I am so sad and heartbroken from this, and the fact that this child obviously went thru so much in the little time it had on this earth, and of course I know it was in pain and that is terribly terribly sad. It is disgusting to me that someone, anyone could EVER hurt a poor innocent child.. Sorry guys, I know this is a lot, I have had this on my mind for a while now and I needed to vent a little bit. And even tho it seems I am sticking up for him in the beggining of this, if he did infact do this then YES I completely and udderly agree with every one of you that thinks he deserves the death penalty because even tho I know him and think that he wouldn't do this, people are capable of anything and you just never know. I just hope that if he didn't do this, that they find out who really did, so that there is justice for the child, and so that they can take that person that done this off the streets and keep them from hurting another child. And if it was tyler, then he needs to be tourtured and beaten like was done to that poor baby. He should have to go to prison and face all the men in there that will beat his ass daily for what he done.

Holy wall of text Batman! So, just so I have this right, you think that the Mom did it?

It says that there was bruises on him when medics got on the scene, and she had left for work just before 6oam, and 911 was called at like 7:20am, those bruises did NOT just come up in that little bit of time that she was gone
They could. While I will concede that the "old" bruises obviously couldn't have appeared in the approximate hour and a half, new bruising could. Depending on the mechanism of injury, bruising can be almost instantaneous, so a hour and a half is plenty of time.

Um, NO. I did NOT say that I think the mom did it.. I don't know who done it, I am just simply saying that Tyler has never been the kind of person to hurt a child. It's mind-boggling to me. There could have been another person in the childs life that could have caused the earlier bruising and trauma. And No I don't really see amber doing it either because, hell she also has a two year old little girl, and there is no information that there was any abuse on the little girl. I guess I am just confused about the whole thing.. In your mind he done it... But, it's a little different when you know both of the people personally. I have known both of them since I was in elementary school. So it's just mind-boggling to me for either one of them to be accused really, had she been accused then I would be in the same position, saying that I don't think she done it. And I didn't know that bruises could show up that fast. I just know that whoever was hurting this baby, had to have a lot of force behind what they had done because it does take some force to break a childs bones, at 7-months old a baby's bones are normally strong. but seeing that there was earlier trama it could have made them not as strong as they should have been. Like I said if he is convicted then he deserves everything he has coming to him.
I just can't understand how someone could do something so heart-less and terrible to a child.. a poor innocent baby.
@Krystal
@Anubis

@MeganDaniielle - I'm sorry that you are having so much trouble conceiving, I'm sure that makes these stories even more heartbreaking. I understand that you know Tyler, and have a hard time believing that he could do something like that. But, sometimes the face that people show us is just a mask they wear. Also, I'm glad that he treated your friend's children well, but all children are different, so your friend's children may have been well behaved, low maintenance children, while Chakeem probably cried throughout the day, and needed constant attention, because the poor little guy was only 7 months old.

Yes and I understand that as well, I understand that people don't always show their true self. And the statement about all children are different, that is deffinetly true, he was there for his daughter from the time she was born until they split and the little boy that wasn't his he was older so he didn't need as much attention as the 7-month old baby did. But either way weather that baby needed more attention or maybe cried more, there is no acception for what was done, if a baby cries it is for a reason and it needs to be comforted and loved, not beaten and treated badly. It saddens my heart terribly. Maybe when they split and he didn't get to see his daughter it changed the person that I knew and she knew, there is always a possibility of the person you think you know to do something terrible. But, there is not excuse for what happened to that child. I'm not saying that he didn't do it, because everything points in that direction. It is hard for me to believe that anyone could do that to a child, it's not really just the fact that I know him. And hell yeah someone needs to be accountable for that poor baby's death, and they should be put on death row. What was done was completely unacceptable.
@maddhattie
@Krystal

@MeganDaniielle I thanked your first post but I have a problem with some of your other walls of text. This guy OBVIOUSLY murdered this baby. Also I would go as far to say that mom at least knew, or was a participant int he abuse. There isn't a mystery person or child abuse ghost that did this.

These were the two people who had the kind of access to the child that granted them the opportunity to inflict the injuries, and unless they are covering for someone that they knowingly let beat this baby there is no other possibility from a logistical stand point.

@DaggerLawless - I never said he didn't do it, i just said it was hard for me to think that he would do something like that. And also, I never said that there was a mystery person or child abuse ghost, as for the old injuries, the child has a father that was around for the first little while. Also you don't know who else could have watched that child. And yes I agree that the mother had to have known something, and if she didn't she wasn't spending enough time with her childor watching close enough to realize that there was something seriously wrong. And as I said earlier, I can't say that he didn't murder that little boy, I stated that it was hard to accept or believe or whatever you wanna call it, because had you known someone for as many years as I've known him then you would be questioning the situation and wondering, could he do that? Would he do it? Again, this has blown my mind to think that someone you "thought" you knew could do something like that. And reading when the judge asked him if he understood that the murder charge meant death row and he said yes, then I guess he isn't trying to defend himself or say he didn't do it, or in my mind that is what I thought, so obviously he did do it. At first I just thought I know this guy he wouldn't do that, but even someone you know, or think you know can be capable of something you never would have imagined. and yeah he obviously did do it.

And reading when the judge asked him if he understood that the murder charge meant death row and he said yes, then I guess he isn't trying to defend himself or say he didn't do it, or in my mind that is what I thought, so obviously he did do it.

You are thinking he did it for the wrong reason then. He doesn't get to tell the judge he didn't do it at that particular point in the proceedings. When he gets invited to plead, he can say "not guilty", but that comes later.

That said, it must be horrifying to learn that someone you thought you knew is capable of something like this. I can understand why you are struggling with things that seem obvious to us bystanders......

That isn't the only reason I think he done it. Everything points to him doing it because he was the only one there at the time, ive just been struggling with the fact that he could do that. and I understand every one of your points too, had it been the other way around and one of y'all knew him and I didn't then I would be saying the same thing you guys are. That's understandable, and I don't want anyone to feel as if I'm trying to justify anything that was done to that baby, because that will be something I will never do because I love children and what was done is horrifying, and it will never be okay for anyone to do something like that to a innocent baby. Anyone who does anything to a child it doesn't matter what it is it will never be okay.

Um, NO. I did NOT say that I think the mom did it.. I don't know who done it, I am just simply saying that Tyler has never been the kind of person to hurt a child. It's mind-boggling to me. There could have been another person in the childs life that could have caused the earlier bruising and trauma. And No I don't really see amber doing it either because, hell she also has a two year old little girl, and there is no information that there was any abuse on the little girl. I guess I am just confused about the whole thing.. In your mind he done it... But, it's a little different when you know both of the people personally. I have known both of them since I was in elementary school. So it's just mind-boggling to me for either one of them to be accused really, had she been accused then I would be in the same position, saying that I don't think she done it. And I didn't know that bruises could show up that fast. I just know that whoever was hurting this baby, had to have a lot of force behind what they had done because it does take some force to break a childs bones, at 7-months old a baby's bones are normally strong. but seeing that there was earlier trama it could have made them not as strong as they should have been. Like I said if he is convicted then he deserves everything he has coming to him.
I just can't understand how someone could do something so heart-less and terrible to a child.. a poor innocent baby.
@Krystal
@Anubis
i hate to tell you this, but it happens. and no i am not being snarky. i have been in your shoes. my ex and i were very good friends with a guy that had lived with us, was the first person to the hospital after our daughter was born, a co-worker, and just all around what we thought was a good guy. he moved away for a while, moved back, and ended up turning his then girlfriends babies skull into mush. and ended up ripping one of his ears off. i did not want to believe that i shared the same air-space with an animal as well. it was pretty hard to deal with to tell the truth. all i can say right now is work threw your own feelings, and have faith in the justice system.

Last edited:
Back