• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Forensicwx

Final Roll Call 4153. STLCO 10-42 10/13 @ 1519
"When the Bretzius family found this home they thought they had found their dream house. It didn't need any work and was perfect for their family. That is, until they decided to add some insulation in a room and discovered dozens of dead animal carcasses in the walls. They first found the animals in 2012, but the newspapers they were wrapped in dated back to the 30s and 40s. They had inspections before they bought the house, but nothing like this had turned up in any reports.

They sent some of the stuff in the walls off to be examined. Experts claimed the animals and supplies were probably used for pow-wowing, also known as Dutch magic. Whatever the reason, this family is not loving it especially now that it is costing them about $20,000 in repairs. Their insurance company won't pay since the animals were in the walls before they bought their policy...."

Video of the animals at the link

http://sfglobe.com/2015/02/13/family-finds-animal-carcasses-in-the-walls-of-their-dream-home/

"Experts claimed the animals and supplies were probably used for pow-wowing, also known as Dutch magic."

Woah. House history always creeps me out. I come from a family of renovators and have found some weird stuff, but this is nasty as hell and way beyond what you'd imagine. All old houses have a history, though. You just never know what kind of shit happened in it. Hence my creep factor. Once I walked through anold house and felt that someone died in a room. Can't explain it, but I was right. Apparently there are laws in certain jurisdictions regrading disclosure by the real estate agent for things like violent deaths, etc.

But, Pennsylvania Dutch Folk Magic is a new one on me.

It reminds me of when I had some new neighbours many years ago next to the first house my husband and I owned. It was summer, so most of the windows were open. I heard pots banging and rattling sounds that went on for a while and then not chanting, but more like keening type of singing. It was bizarre. I thought, what the hell is going on? Walked outside and it was coming from my neighbours house and then went in to ask my husband what the hell kind of wack jobs just moved in. Found out the next day from another neighbour this was some sort of "house cleansing ceremony"

Well shit.

"The practice of Pow-wowing has it’s origins in a German book called The Long Lost Friend by John George Hohman, published in 1820. Later editions renamed it Pow-Wows after the Algonquian word for a gathering of medicine men. It is a collection of folk remedies, recipes, spells and talismans to cure domestic ailments and rural troubles.

The book gained notoriety in 1928 when it was found in the possession of murderer John Blymire. Thanks to a local witch named Nellie Noll, Blymire became convince that he had been cursed by his neighbor Nelson Rehmeyer. He and some accomplices broke into Rehmeyer’s home to find his spell book, but found Rehmeyer, instead. The group killed and mutilated the man in hopes of lifting the curse."

http://www.cultofweird.com/occult/family-finds-animal-carcasses-stuffed-in-walls-of-new-home/

I've heard of a mummified cat or two being found in caveties in old houses, but dozens of dead animals? One wonders what the original house owners were so afraid of?

What about the smell of the dozens of fresh dead critters? Had to be horrific to start with.

Critters should have been nearly mummified. I'd think there would be very little smell after nearly 70-80 years of being wrapped up in the walls.

After 70-80 years, yes, I agree, no smell, much. But when freshly desposited they must have been stink-a-licious! How could the folks who put them in there stand the smell of it?

Their insurance company won't pay since the animals were in the walls before they bought their policy...."

What a load of shit. I understand such policies if they're being used to prevent people from defrauding the insurance company and running scams, but this clearly is not what's happening here. Bullshit.

That said, i don't see the big deal with this. It's skeletons, big deal? What's the fuss?

I also don't grasp why this calls for 20 grand in repairs. So there's some old weird shit in your walls, you can't install insulation with it in there or simply remove it without paying 20 fucking grand? Leave that shit in and relax.

My biggest concern would be the reason why they felt the need to put that shit in the walls in the first place. Pow-wowwing was done to cure ailments and ward off troubles, what were these ailments/troubles effecting this house and the people inside? It fucking haunted or something?

What if a vengeful ghost or demon was only being held at bay from entering the house and tormenting its occupants by these dead animal carcasses? This family fucking removed em!!!!! They're so FUCKED!!!!

I'm surprised this hasn't shown up in a horror movie yet. Maybe after this family is mysteriously slaughtered hollywood will do a movie about em.

Back