• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sudonim

Trusted Member
Dutchman Mamitho Lendas became the first person to survive a fall from World’s End, the 1,200 meter cliff in Sri Lanka’s Horton Plains National Park

The 35-year-old was honeymooning with his wife Linda when he stumbled off the cliff while taking a photo of her. He was rescued by Sri Lankan military troops, who used ropes to reach Lendas and pull him to safety. Approximately 40 soldiers assisted in the rescue, later supported by a military helicopter.

“He was extremely lucky because he fell on top of a tree about 130 feet from the top,” said army spokesperson Brigadier Jayanath Jayaweera. “He is the first person to survive a fall from World’s End.”

Lendas was carried on the shoulders of troops for five kilometers to the nearest point where he could be taken to hospital by ambulance. Soon afterwards, a police official reported his condition “stable.”

[..]

“I was taking pictures and I had a misstep and I fell down backwards, two times, and then I sat in bushes for like three and a half hours and…[it was] the longest three and a half hours of my life”, he said.
http://www.nltimes.nl/2015/02/23/dutchman-survives-fall-off-worlds-end-honeymoon/

Video of the rescue and an interview with the couple:

Yaaaaay! Happy for them. Totally amazing. I doubt I'm alone in thinking of about a dozen ways this could've turned out badly. I'll bet he was mortified. Good thing he was young and healthy. Like some folks who jump off high buildings to end their lives, they end up having a massive heart attack before they ever hit the ground.

Are we sure that he just slipped and fell? Her emotions seem kind of flat, maybe stunned that he didn't die as she planned...;)

I'm just kidding guys:D Glad he's okay.

Her emotions seem kind of flat

That face is one of my favorite reactions and one of the reasons I speak english to everyone here. It's the translating reaction. They stare wide eyed and straight faced, like deer in headlights, and you can see their minds working frantically to translate english to dutch or vice versa :hilarious:

Read the title and was thinking, "The Dutch don't really still think the world is flat, do they?"

THe wife looks suspicious and stone cold as shit in that interview. Not even a smile? Is she not happy her husband survived this terrifying ordeal?

I'm thinking she shoved him, or perhaps kept telling him to back up further, "it's good, you got room, one more step back honey, let's make this a great picture..."

Back