• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
I don't expect you to understand me, or my grief or what I am going through. All I ask is that you leave me with my daughter's death in peace leave me alone. I can't bear to read anymore posts like this.

You should stop Googling yourself. Nobody brought this to your front door.

20fb5m9.jpg

Two additional felony charges have been added to the case against Karl Kjeldgaard.
[...]

According to a press release from the Gage County Attorney’s Office, the additional charges include manslaughter, which is a class III felony and felony child abusing resulting in the death of a child, which is a Class-IB felony. Conviction of a Class-IB felony could result in life imprisonment.
[...]

Kjeldgaard posted bond and was released from jail in February after his bond was lowered to $10,000.

Kjeldgaard’s next scheduled appearance in Gage County District Court is May 5.
http://www.beatricedailysun.com/news/local/article_e500f490-3ec5-11df-9456-001cc4c03286.html

bond of ONLY 10K???? wtf!!?? this poor baby's life is only worth 10K????...he killed her...he should have NO BOND!

Seems they added the charges after he was allowed to post bond.
Edit: or did they? The article wasn't really clear.

Either way, It rankles that he's free to do what he wants for the next month. I certainly hope no one who comes into contact with him dies before his next court date.

Last edited:
Charges were added after they let him out of jail. They have no case so they are trying to get him to plead guilty to a lesser charge so they upped the charges. The autopsy reports show that the baby died of SIDS. From what I heard the Judge dropped the charges on Wednesday May 5th because the prosecuters don't have any evidence. I wonder why I didn't see that in the little Beatrice Sun paper.

From the original post... "Court documents say the girl had scratches on her head and bruises on a hip, her feet and buttocks."

Odd, I don't recall any medical documents attributing those types of injuries to SIDS.

This is an interesting concept... the police have nothing, so they ADDED charges? Damn, this dumbass must have a crappy lawyer!

If I remember correctly, SIDS is not a true cause of death. It's a catchall term for an infant death that can't otherwise be explained. So, the medical examiner couldn't pin it down. Rollovers (where mom rolls over and smothers her baby) used to the assumed cause of SIDS. Many intentional suffocation deaths were attributed to SIDS before medical examiners became more aware of smothering and the indications of it.

Sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) is the unexpected, sudden death of a child under age 1 in which an autopsy does not show an explainable cause of death
https://health.google.com/health/ref/Sudden+infant+death+syndrome

Charges Dismissed in Death of Nebraska Infant
Charges against an Omaha man accused in the death of his girlfriend's 14-week-old daughter have been dismissed.

Gage County District Judge Paul Korslund on Friday granted a motion to drop charges of manslaughter and child abuse resulting in death against Karl Kjeldgaard. Gage County Attorney Randy Ritnour had said more time was needed to review forensic evidence.
[...]
Court documents say the girl had scratches on her head and bruises on a hip, feet and buttocks. The bruising appeared to have been caused by a remote control on a bed in the home.

Kjeldgaard's attorney James Mowbray says girl's death can be attributed to either natural causes or an accident.
http://www.1011now.com/news/headlines/96192384.html

The charges in the case of Karl Kjeldgaard have been dismissed without prejudice.

The Omaha man who was accused of allegedly causing the death of his Beatrice girlfriend’s infant child was released from custody Friday afternoon and bond money was ordered to be repaid.

Dismissed without prejudice means that the case can be revisited in the future if necessary.
[...]

Gage County Attorney Randall Ritnour said the motion to dismiss was filed on Friday because further investigation is needed.

Gage County District Court Judge Paul Korslund asked for further elaboration on why the charges were being dismissed.

“There are still additional investigations going on and additional information that is being received,” Ritnour said. “I’m not sure that my office should indicate — prior to there being any kind of discovery with respect to those further charges —give too much information other than to say that when we reviewed and discussed more with the experts that we talked to that there were some questions that arose that needed to be answered before we could move forward with those two charges.”

Korslund was concerned with fulfilling Kjeldgaard’s right to a speedy trial. Ritnour, who’s term expires at the end of this year, said he doesn’t want to reveal anything that will hinder future prosecutors.

“Speedy trial is part of the concern,” Ritnour responded. “As you know I won’t be here after January, so what we want to make sure of is that what happens now does not harm any prosecution by a special prosecutor later on.”

Representing Kjeldgaard was James Mowbray from the Nebraska Commission of Public Advocacy and public defender Roger Harris.

Mowbray said he feels that forensic evidence proves that Kjeldgaard is innocent.

“I don’t think whatever the state does, that anything is going to change the facts,” Mowbray said. “The facts are that unfortunately this was a natural caused death. I contacted a forensics expert who looked at everything and it was his opinion that there was no criminal liability involved in this child’s death. Unfortunately, she died from SIDS or possibly by an overlay, which would have been accidental.”
http://www.beatricedailysun.com/news/article_6065b9c8-75d4-11df-be06-001cc4c002e0.html

I guess time will tell...

I wonder if he could do this to his own mother then apparently he does the ability harm his own baby. Whoever it was that was defending this guy before on old posts must be scratching their head wondering if maybe he did hurt his baby. Wonder if we hear from them this time standing up for him again?

I wonder if he could do this to his own mother then apparently he does the ability harm his own baby. Whoever it was that was defending this guy before on old posts must be scratching their head wondering if maybe he did hurt his baby. Wonder if we hear from them this time standing up for him again?
I can hardly wait...;)

His mom may be a miserable bitch for all we know. I'm inclined to give the guy a pass for the time being.

That said, i think he did kill that baby.

Criminals are criminals, they can't help themselves ..

We'll probably hear about him, yet again in another few years ..

Back