• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

sugarfree irony

Trusted Member
The population of Japan is ageing, and fewer children being born. This creates a variety of problems -- not the least of which is a shortage of caregivers for the elderly, as the elderly population grows while the younger population shrinks. To help compensate, the country has been exploring a different solution: robots.

In the case of research institute RIKEN, cuddly teddy bear-faced robots that can lift and carry a mobility impaired patient, or help them stand and provide a support to lean on while walking.

ROBEAR is actually the third iteration of the bear-faced bots, the first and second of which were named RIBA and RIBA-II respectively -- although none have arrived on the market yet.
http://www.cnet.com/news/giant-robotic-teddy-bear-japans-nurse-of-the-future/

I'd love to check one of these out for myself before I judge it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who can see the potential for some serious injuries, but on the surface, sight unseen in the face of mobility and quality of life issues sans any robot or user-related "accident/injury" data, I gotta give this idea a huge TWO THUMBS UP.

That thing is fucking terrifying. I'm compeltely lucid and the thought of it coming at me fills me with terror. I can't imagine being confused, easily startled/frightened in my old age, and stuck in a bed while one of these monsters comes for me with its cold metal claws.

The japanese are so fucked up

Back