• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Morbid

Rooster Illusion
Staff member
Thanks for all of you who are providing news stories to talk about, but please be careful when using pictures from source articles. I have been contacted twice now regarding the illegal use of images in some of our threads. If you are not sure if a picture is copyrighted or not, just play it safe and don't use it.

I started out by putting "Photo Courtesy of..." then crediting it, but had a brain child the linked article was enough and stopped. If we make sure the photos are credited to the photographer (when listed) or the source article(s) as listed under the pics, can we use them?

If we make sure the photos are credited to the photographer (when listed) or the source article(s) as listed under the pics, can we use them?

Here's the issue. News agencies pay for those photos in order to use them. When the photo is taken and shared elsewhere, even if credited, the owner of the photos can (and do) demand we pay for the picture or remove it. In this case, the "Breaking Bad" cherry story had images with the credited source in the image. They were used in two threads here, and we were contacted by the photos' owners demanding we pay for their use or remove them. Of course I removed them, but it's a lot easier just not to use images from source articles. Mugshots are usually fair game, but otherwise it's kind of a crapshoot.

You know you've reached the majors when you start fielding photo copyright complaints. Resolve to refrain from buying any fancy new cars with your newfound wealth.

Thanks for all of you who are providing news stories to talk about, but please be careful when using pictures from source articles. I have been contacted twice now regarding the illegal use of images in some of our threads. If you are not sure if a picture is copyrighted or not, just play it safe and don't use it.
I apologize if any of the blame is because of me. I love pictures to go with stories, I have made it a point of putting the link first now if using a picture and will try to become one with tiny pic even if they are heinous to load

You know you've reached the majors when you start fielding photo copyright complaints. Resolve to refrain from buying any fancy new cars with your newfound wealth.

lol, we've been dealing with that shit for almost 7 years now. Only a few have been nasty. Most are like the one I provided above.

Back