• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

sugarfree irony

Trusted Member
A 92-year-old California man is suing his health care provider after he claims his penis completely split in half and eroded as a result of neglect.

Rupert Collins filed a lawsuit against Kaiser Foundation Health Plan, Inc. for elder abuse, negligence and unfair business practice stating a septic catheter caused the problem.

He alleges that despite repeated requests to remove the catheter over a period of almost two weeks, his penis became cut and swollen to the point it could not be saved.

Another nurse sent another fax to Kaiser on July 30 asking to remove the catheter, but this was again denied, claims the lawsuit.

Then, the next day, Collins' daughter looked at her father's penis herself.

'When Diana examined Rupert's penis, she was horrified at what she saw. Rupert's penis was split completely in half from the tip of his penis all the way down to the scrotum sac,' the complaint states.

She got a third nurse to contact Kaiser, but they allegedly said, 'The penis erosion is normal and will heal on its own.'

However, she pushed for a urologist to see her father who stated, 'that if Rupert had been treated earlier, the penis could have been saved but that the penile erosion was now complete, Rupert's penis would never heal and that reconstructive surgery was not a viable option,' the complaint states.

'Rupert's penis and urethra is permanently eroded away and Rupert has suffered permanent genital mutilation,' it continues.'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rance-company-ignoring-infected-catheter.html

I hope this poor man gets a ton of money for this , and his daughter too for having to look at his damages .

:bored: Holy fuck! Hell on a stick!
Yea, if I ever have to spend the rest of my life in a home or hospice or something, I'm offing myself. I don't want to live like that.
I am glad I do not have a penis tohugh

:bored: Holy fuck! Hell on a stick!
Yea, if I ever have to spend the rest of my life in a home or hospice or something, I'm offing myself. I don't want to live like that.
I am glad I do not have a penis though

WHAAAAAT "well-known HMO" was this? And they're facing a lawsuit for NEGLECT and substandard, piss poor care??? I'm SHOCKED! At 92 he'll probably pass away before he gets to enjoy any of his money (avg. suit = 3 yrs. if uncontested), but I hope his award is so big it puts his great grand's grands through college, while putting these hacks out of business for good.

Li'l note: With men who need an indwelling catheter over time, movement of the tubing when the patient moves is normal and some men develop what's called "key-holing", esp. the elderly. It's not uncommon for these poor guys' urethral openings to at least double in size because of the largely unvoidable tension, pulling and pressure against the urethral opening's edges. When this happens, the opening very much resembles an old, skeleton-type key hole. But, you gotta have a whoooole lotta pure neglect and indifference with a heaping helping of stupid and cruel to allow this kind of damage. Just another feel good Kaiser success story!

Last edited:
Then, the next day, Collins' daughter looked at her father's penis herself.
'When Diana examined Rupert's penis, she was horrified at what she saw.
I would I be even if it wasn't "eroded" away. Having to check out my father's penis, ewww! Just throwing that out there.

I feel like the nurses should be held accountable as well. It is their job to advocate for the patient. In a case of extreme erosion like that, they should have pushed to have the foley catheter discontinued. Poor nursing judgement. They will also be most likely to be the ones thrown under the bus by the company.

These stories always get to me because they remind me of my grandparents. :(
Having to go through that at 92. Horrible. I hope they win the suit.

Hmmm

At 92 i'd sacrifice my unit for several million bucks. Not gonna be able to use it again anyways. Be nice having my limited future and the future of my family taken care of for good.

Silver linings.

Disgusting incompetanence. Someone should be charged.

Hmmm

At 92 i'd sacrifice my unit for several million bucks. Not gonna be able to use it again anyways. Be nice having my limited future and the future of my family taken care of for good.

Silver linings.

Disgusting incompetanence. Someone should be charged.

Remember when you asked about the name of a particular "well-known HMO" that I mentioned a family member dealt with b/c of outrageously negligent care? I didn't want to name them b/c I didn't want to scare the shit out of the people who have them as their ins. provider, but, "ta da." :greedy:

A supra-pubic tube is a safe, cheap and more viable alternative to a long-term penile catheterization; pure fucking greed and incompetence.

A supra-pubic tube is a safe, cheap and more viable alternative to a long-term penile catheterization; pure fucking greed and incompetence.

Most patients and healthcare providers view a suprapubic as too invasive. Plus, with a line feeding directly to the bladder that isn't adequately cared for (which they obviously could not do) you put a patient at imminent risk for urosepsis and infection to the surgical wound itself. Lazy nurses don't care about aseptic technique.
But hey, it would be nice to live in a world where suprapubics were the norm!

I'm glad you mentioned this, all I could think while reading this story was that there must be a better way. You aren't always given options, and a catheter seems to be every mans nightmare, with good reason. Thanks for putting that out there. Always remember that the word doctor does not mean god, advocate for your loved ones.

I definitely agree with @BostonBurns it should be an option for long term cath pts., but @theskyisfalling is right, too, in that many docs feel it's too invasive, and they don't like to send people home with these systems because the bladder is sterile and sterile (not clean) procedure is required to deal with them. These folks are classified as high-risk for infection. Our facility requires any nurse caring for this kind of catheter as well as the patient wear a blue mask in addition to the nurse handling and maintaining strict sterile protocol b/c even the nurse's or the pt's regular breathing can transfer germs/pathogens. It's a great thing to talk to the doc about as an option, but if s/he doesn't recommend it, this is why.

I don't understand why the fucking nurse didn't take it out on her own, takes 1 or 2 min to remove the damn catheter. A Foley catheter is all of $3.00 unless he had a special catheter in. I'm sure she spent more time on hold than what it would have taken to change the catheter.

Did the nurse not call the doctor? I understand calling the insurance company but the first call should have been to his primary care doctor and then the 2nd call to 911.

Split-Dog.jpg

NAPA, CA –
An elderly man is claiming he was left with a mutilated penis after doctors ignored multiple requests by nurses and family to remove an eroding catheter.

On July 21st 2013, a nurse at Napa Valley Care Center was caring for Rupert Collins and noticed his Foley catheter had irritated his penis causing it to swell, turn red and tear at his urethra. The nurse sent a fax to Collins’ insurer, Kaiser, explaining the situation and asking to try a no catheter trial period “to give the area a rest.”

Read more: http://www.dreamindemon.com#ixzz3Qh8WrdJu

Back