• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
I think its hard for everyone to picture "forgetting" a kid in the car because the focus is on the car. People "forget" their kids all the time but its usually in the house and it can end just as badly. You go to get the mail real quick and a neighbor comes to talk to you and you all of a sudden "remember" that you have a 2 year old inside about to wake up, or you are at a friends house and they have a pool or no fence and you are watching your kid diligently and you get distracted by a conversation, it happens all the time. I don't think people forget that the kids in the car they get distracted and forget that they didn't bring the baby in. Some people are just assholes but I do think it is possible to just think you put the baby in their room or where ever it is the baby would normally be.

I think its hard for everyone to picture "forgetting" a kid in the car because the focus is on the car. People "forget" their kids all the time but its usually in the house and it can end just as badly. You go to get the mail real quick and a neighbor comes to talk to you and you all of a sudden "remember" that you have a 2 year old inside about to wake up, or you are at a friends house and they have a pool or no fence and you are watching your kid diligently and you get distracted by a conversation, it happens all the time. I don't think people forget that the kids in the car they get distracted and forget that they didn't bring the baby in. Some people are just assholes but I do think it is possible to just think you put the baby in their room or where ever it is the baby would normally be.
I don't think it's common to run to get the mail and forget your kids, it may happen but I think it's far from the norm.

The biggest difference in forgetting your kid inside your house and forgetting the kid in the car is about 60 degrees.

I didn't mean that it is common for an individual to forget a child regularly, I worded that badly. I meant that it happens a lot in general.

I went to North Carolina to visit a friend and she took us to a barbeque at her friends house, they had a pool and my friend watched her three year old like a hawk. We all went to go eat and she was arguing with her 7 year old about having to eat something and then we all got into a conversation about how we wished just once we didn't want to eat and how hard it is to get kids to eat, and then swapped stories of what our kids would eat when they were little. We were joking and talking for a very short time but the three year old had got to the pool and he drowned. She was a good mother and she was worried about that pool and she just got wrapped up in a conversation. I always think of her when I think of "forgetting" kids. It does happen.

He as responsible for those children and that baby girl. He made the decision to take her to a drug dealers house and then get high, causing him to ' forget'. This isn't even about drugs, although I'm confident he may have 'remembered' a bit better if he wasn't so intent on rushing home to get his buzz on .

This is about negligence and this was neglect. His actions led to a death.

If you were looking after a friends child, or your own child, or a foster carer - would YOU smoke drugs in front of them , take them to dealers and get so out of it you 'forget' a baby to the point where she suffers the most cruel of deaths? I don't think anybody here would do this and for that reason although this wasn't intentional , I feel the punishment fits the crime.

If someone was looking after my child and left them in the car whilst they got stoned , so they roasted alive - then their defence team said a murder charge was ' a bit too much' or over the top, I would be outraged.

A little baby lost her life because these foster parents were not up to the job and there is nothing more serious.

The law has got to come down hard on this act because there are too many children being killed this way. No amount of alarms or reminders or mirrors will make someone see common sense, something else has to happen to make people think harder about the choices they are making. But I know you can't cure stupid , or forgetfulness, or being stoned etc so I expect many more of these terrible tragedies to occur before the year is out.

I am not perfect and I agree deaths where children quickly drown in pools or garden ponds are true tragedies as they only take seconds , same as children running in to the road and so forth. But this is not that type of typical parent accident. This is something else and no matter who much kindness this man did with his fostering and adoption etc, he was negligent to a horrendous extreme.

You were there when the baby died??? I can't even imagine the moms pain. So sorry for her. I have a three year old and I would die if I let that happen
It was awful both parents were captains of fishing boats so they were both skilled in how to treat a drowning, and they did what anyone could do but when nothing was working she took the baby to her car and laid in the backseat with him and when the ambulance got there she wouldn't come out. So I always look at that day and just think we all have been distracted and don't even think about it because it all turns out ok...but sometimes it doesn't.
I completely understand that sometimes it is negligence to leave a baby unattended anywhere but sometimes it truly is distraction.

[...]
A child crying on the television show "Game of Thrones" jogged a foster parent's memory that he had left a 10-month-old girl inside a sweltering car while he and his partner smoked marijuana at their house, a police affidavit released Monday says.
Seth Jackson, 29, is charged with first-degree murder in the July 24 death in Wichita. No charges have been filed against his partner
[...]
http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/police-tv-show-reminded-man-that-girl-was-in-car

Yip, that would qualify him for the murder charge...

These charges are going to send a powerful message to parents that don't think it can happen to them.

If the actual deaths of children doesn't stop it from happening neither will this charge IMO. The only thing I believe will stop it from happening is going back to horse and buggy.

If our fucking parents all those damn years ago made it through 18 summers without baking any of us why can't we do the same now?

I am sure babies died back in the day too, just not so much media and exposure.

When I smoked pot going to the dealers house just meant I was going to my friends house who sells pot, and in my case my "dealer" and I went to school together and our kids hang out now. I don't really think that he went to the dealers with the baby in and of itself is a reason to doubt his parenting. In his case it may be that he took the baby to some crack house but I cant picture that for some pot.

1. Tragic. Oh, gee, lookie, "grandma's here" now that the news vans are here. Sadly, those two men probably showed baby more love then she's ever known. You know he's imagining every horrific moment. At least when you freeze you just go to sleep. Oh, you know she cried for him to come and get her out of that death trap. Watch this guy, he may do her some small justice before the inquest is over.
Like an Oven: After just 60 minutes, temperatures inside a car left out in 90-degree heat can feel like more than 130 degrees
34zy804.jpg

Distraught: The little girl's biological grandmother, Cindy Poe, says she just wants to hold her baby girl one last time
2v9vw39.jpg

Arrested: Jackson was booked into Sedgwick County Jail early morning on Friday on suspicion of aggravated endangerment of a child
161jn9g.jpg
Forgetful: Police say Seth Michael Jackson (right) and Payton Schroeder (left) only remembered the little girl was still outside because of something they saw on television. Jackson had left her there and Schroeder, who was not charged with a crime, thought she was already inside
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2705664/10-month-old-girl-de

Bah, I've smoked pot for 20 years, never left a child in the car or any where else for that matter
You mean that you can remember...:devil:

I heard 40+ years ago in Nam that smoking would make us forget things. I wish it had worked better during that time..

maybe men just don't think in the same way women do?
I think you are right, we were at the beach one time and for some reason I couldn't swim anymore and while I was drowning my dad stood on the beach and waved to me for like 5 minuteso_O eventually my mom saw me and hauled ass to get me. I think dads are more laid back where as moms are always worried.

it my house it was, "go ask your mother to tell/do/get it/or just make a bloody decision about something, he was incapable, it seems, of making a decision about anything. I went on strike for about 3 days once and refused to make any decision by the middle of the 2nd day he was screaming, "Y'all are driving me crazy", but he still didn't get it. So yeah I think some guys are used to women making decisions for them and some of them just lock up when independent thinking is required of them. {{{{{Just for the record I don't think all men are like this, I know a few who can think out of the box, but not many}}}}}}

1. Tragic. Oh, gee, lookie, "grandma's here" now that the news vans are here. Sadly, those two men probably showed baby more love then she's ever known. You know he's imagining every horrific moment. At least when you freeze you just go to sleep. Oh, you know she cried for him to come and get her out of that death trap. Watch this guy, he may do her some small justice before the inquest is over.
Like an Oven: After just 60 minutes, temperatures inside a car left out in 90-degree heat can feel like more than 130 degrees
34zy804.jpg

Distraught: The little girl's biological grandmother, Cindy Poe, says she just wants to hold her baby girl one last time
2v9vw39.jpg

Arrested: Jackson was booked into Sedgwick County Jail early morning on Friday on suspicion of aggravated endangerment of a child
161jn9g.jpg
Forgetful: Police say Seth Michael Jackson (right) and Payton Schroeder (left) only remembered the little girl was still outside because of something they saw on television. Jackson had left her there and Schroeder, who was not charged with a crime, thought she was already inside
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2705664/10-month-old-girl-de
I think that bio gramma is honestly upset.
Sometimes, when your children screw up, and lose physical custody of baby, CPS can make it so they can never get them back with the impossible hoops to jump. And if they have no means to care for the baby, or a record, grandparents are not allowed to have custody. So, in foster care, the foster parents will get attached to baby, and want to adopt the baby. CPS encourages this. Especially babies.
There is no shame in grieving about this baby, and being vocal about it.

This:
but if I walk in a room and one of the kids isn't there, I'm asking ' Where's so and so?'

We live so self absorbed this days: if not the phone, then Facebook or Pot. I'm not against on this things. I'm against people who are so concern with their gadgets, the virtual social live or their vices that are unaware of other human beings, even their kids... Monsters.

I was struck by their ages when reading the article. Wondering why a couple in their 20s would want to take responsibility for 4 or 5 foster kids in the first place. What was the motivation? Especially if they were still into a more carefree lifestyle of smoking pot and watching GOT after work- most parents would wait until the kids were in bed or whatever. Foster parents should be held to a higher standard. Weren't they worried about bringing a 5-year-old to a dealer's house? Even if the dealer was an 80-year-old woman and it was a safe place, what if the child said something about it to a social worker? They clearly didn't feel the need to be discrete, and that's concerning. Foster parents should be closely supervised and drug tested, and a couple under 30 should not be allowed that many children. It makes me wonder if they were getting money to care for these kids.

Back