• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
Kind of hard to claim self-defense when you left and came back with the gun. Maybe she'll go with a defense of others theory because her children were in the house, I think.
How many time can you change a story and expect people to believe it, maybe she grabbed the gun tripped and it fired a shot as she fell into the kitchen ;):popcorn:

How many time can you change a story and expect people to believe it, maybe she grabbed the gun tripped and it fired a shot as she fell into the kitchen ;):popcorn:
Damnit, I'm trying to be optimistic on this one, don't be trying to burst my little bubble here!:p

http://www.blackmediascoop.com/court-overturns-marissa-alexanders-20-year-sentence/

(BlackMediaScoop) A Florida woman who claimed to be a victim of abuse was sentenced to 20 years behind bars for allegedly firing a warning shot during an argument with her husband was granted a new trial thanks to five new witnesses.

The appellate court ruling erased a decision by a jury that took just 12 minutes to convict Marissa Alexander, a mother of three, of aggravated assault.
[....]
Alexander testified that, on Aug. 1, 2010, her then-husband, Rico Gray Sr., questioned her fidelity and the paternity of her 1-week-old child. She claimed that he broke through a bathroom door that she had locked and grabbed her by the neck. She said she tried to push past him but he shoved her into the door, sparking a struggle that felt like an “eternity.”

Afterwards, she claimed that she ran to the garage and tried to leave but was unable to open the garage door, so she retrieved a gun, which she legally owned.

Once inside, she claimed, her husband saw the gun and charged at her “in a rage” saying, “Bitch, I’ll kill you.” She said she raised the gun and fired a warning shot into the air because it was the “lesser of two evils.”

Rico Gray submitted a sworn deposition admitting to his violence and threatening behavior that day in addition to five witnesses testifying about his violent past.

Well, mr cb and I agreed after the Casey Anthony debacle that we couldn't avoid driving thru the panhandle; we have family we visit there. BUT! we decided we would not spend a penny in the state. No gassing up the car, buying food,drinks or cigarettes....yeah, I know the whole state will suffer terribly and feel remorse, but that's what we're doing. It's a small thing, but I take great pleasure.

We also wrote to the Tourism bureau to tell THEM that "we used to spend a lot of money in Florida; we took family vacations, rented a condo and spent at least X dollars per visit...but we will not visit again because of the legal and judicial system is ALL FUCKED UP! Your state puts petty criminals and in jail for years and would probably let a pedophile out in order to jail some poor pot smoker away for 10-20 years. You have a stupid state". I'm waiting for a reply....

We also wrote to the Tourism bureau to tell THEM that "we used to spend a lot of money in Florida; we took family vacations, rented a condo and spent at least X dollars per visit...but we will not visit again because of the legal and judicial system is ALL FUCKED UP! Your state puts petty criminals and in jail for years and would probably let a pedophile out in order to jail some poor pot smoker away for 10-20 years. You have a stupid state". I'm waiting for a reply....

Let us know if they do answer. Voting with your purse, - you are doing it right!

How on earth was that not taken into consideration at the first trial?

It seems to be there are a lot of trials where past crimes are not admitted into evidence in order not to prejudice the jury, because the perp is not on trial for past acts? I don't agree with that if it's the case.

Florida woman convicted of aggravated assault agrees to plea deal
Marissa Alexander, convicted on three cases of aggravated assault after she fired a warning shot at her estranged husband, agreed to a plea deal on Monday. Alexander will be released from prison Jan. 27.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ed-assault-agrees-plea-deal-article-1.2022176

Absolutely outrageous.

And if fail to see the big deal about her retrieving a gun before going back into the house. If it was her house, then why the fuck shouldn't she head back in? And if he's abusive, why the fuck would she not want to arm herself? And if he still posed a threat, why the fuck not fire a warning shot or even a shot intended to do some harm?

Last edited:
If she could've left then I believe she should've done so and then no gun would've been necessary. I changed my opinion when I found out she was trying to leave and couldn't get the garage door open. At that point it was obvious she needed to defend herself.

If she could've left then I believe she should've done so and then no gun would've been necessary. I changed my opinion when I found out she was trying to leave and couldn't get the garage door open. At that point it was obvious she needed to defend herself.

Even if she wasn't trapped, i fail to see the big deal about her firing a shot. Let's say she could have left. I'd agree she should have done so to avoid violence, again if possible, but the fact she didn't hardly makes it a crime in my book. If Florida or any other state wants its Stand Your Ground laws, they should apply to whoever is posing a physical threat, whether it's family or a stranger. You wouldn't expect a homeowner to run away instead of fighting back if some random intruder is causing trouble, wouldn't condemn them if they decided to retrieve a weapon and head back inside. Shouldn't be any different if it's an abusive husband/bf(or wife/gf).

Now that she's out...is she going back home to live with the abusive husband??

I'm glad she's out though...that sentence was bullshit. They let pedophiles out earlier than 20 years. I'm sick of the system.

For the sake of her children I hope that she abides by the conditions of her house arrest because she did violate the terms of her bail while awaiting the retrial/plea deal.

Where I work at I have seen rapist, child molesters, murderers, drug dealers, etc., get a Hell of a lot less time than 20 years! Even in Flor-i-duh itself. What the Hell is wrong them down there? Maybe to many of them are exposed to to many brain eating amebas? Regardless, WTH, WTF, FFCS, get some common senses about yourselves down there! He deserved a bullet between the eyes and lucky she wasn't aiming for head. I am certain there would not be any warning shots if it were me. His family would have sent his body in a pine box with a note saying, "here's your POS back in the more improved state than when I got him"!

:) It's amazing what a little over a dozen seriously pissed off women (and one man) on a large, but ordinary website can do when they start a protest group, hook up with the family and get down to bidness.

Almost two years worth of *weekly* emails and snail mails to the right group of Idiots-in-Charge, growing the campaign across the interwebz like a rampant, feel-the-wrath disease, more than a few people sending in money orders to help keep $$ on her books for plenty of stamps, envelopes, notebooks and other goodies for her legal needs (and perms, of course), some sending a few bux a month to help her family take care of her kids (and to help w/holidays, school supplies, etc.), and all the while the monthly petitions demanding justice and threatening a nationwide boycott of FL's tourist industry (MUCH love @carolinablue !) keep growing and growing and growing making the "elected officials and judiciary" look like the ASSES they are.

Think the days of public protests, fighting The Man and demanding justice instead of Just Us is over? To quote a very dear, very wonderful friend in Jacksonville (accent and all) "Dis h'euh innuhnet's a powuhful tool in gettin' it dun, gurl," lol. Yay Marissa and UP YOUR ASS PAM BONDI!! :mooning: :finger: :kiss:

Last edited:
Wow. When I was interning, we defended a woman who fired a warning shot down at the street to encourage her abusive boyfriend who had just torn up the house and threatened her to keep running (he took off when she retrieved the gun). Shot bounced off the road and into an adjacent, empty (thank god) apartment. If I recall correctly, she got three months of incarceration.

Is my Godfather that brilliant a defense lawyer, or is Florida that fucked up? Both, I think. Yeah, definitely both.

If you're in fear of your life you don't grab a gun and go back inside, once you've made it out
Now that it seems we have the whole story, I can understand why she was convicted
It's not stand you ground when you arm yourself and initiate contact, you could've avoided

I sort of agree...but her kids were still in the house, so was her keys and so was her phone, I think she did the best she could, she armed herself and went back in...the garage door was also broken. So really no direction to go in except back in the house. Its also obvious that while she was an abused woman she was not looking for an opportunity to fill her husband with lead like lots of other abused woman would like to do if given the chance...she was the epitome of restraint. Its sad to think that if she had actually taken his life...she would probably be free right now.

What absolute disgusting horse shit she was let out under a plea deal. They shoulda commuted her sentence entirely, begged her and the rest of society for forgiveness, and then paid her a couple million for her time and struggle.

Sickening. Absolutely sickening.

I understand her taking a plea deal; hell, I'd have taken it too, just to get out of hell and back to my kids.I wish she could sue them for a squillion dollars and win! I wish she could sue the cops personally, the DA personally...hell, sue them all, with a nice pro bono attorney. She wouldn't win, but the aggravation, cost and publicity would be a black eye for everyone involved in this cluster fuck.
Maybe ruin a few careers and make the idiots join the 21st century.

I did get a response from the Fla Dept of Tourism:meh:...they sent me a package of tourism brochures.:mooning:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/marissa...an-jailed-for-firing-a-warning-shot-now-free/
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - A Florida woman whose conviction sparked a change in the state’s gun laws is now completely free and says she plans to run an organization to help victims of domestic violence caught up in the criminal justice system.

Marissa Alexander told The Florida Times-Union that she wants to help others because “from what I’ve been through I know a lot more about the system and how it fits together.”

“I’ve been contained since 2011,” Alexander said. “But I’m excited to have the chance to give back using whatever platform I have.”
[....]
Alexander’s case became noticed because it was contrasted against what happened to George Zimmerman who was acquitted in the 2012 shooting death of Trayvon Martin after he said he shot the unarmed Martin in self-defense.

Alexander’s conviction was thrown out on appeal and she reached a plea deal in 2014. Her case was cited by legislators when they altered Florida’s mandatory sentencing law nearly three years ago.

Alexander was released from home detention this past week. She has begun the process of setting up the Marissa Alexander Justice Project which will not only focus on female victims of domestic violence but will be critical of minimum-mandatory sentences like the 20 years Alexander once faced after she was initially convicted.
[....]

Back