• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

ChaosKitty

Queen Bitch From Hell
coignardedit-638x412-620x400.jpg

An already diagnosed mentally ill teen was shot 4 times and killed in police station lobby by cops that felt threatened because she had a small knife. They arebringing in the Rangers to investigate.
http://latest.com/2015/01/texas-cop...es-police-station-dept-shot-15-year-old-2014/
"
The Longview Police Department is investigating an incident in which a mentally ill 17-year-old girl was fatally shot in the lobby of a police station in Texas.

Three officers have been placed on administrative leave while the department investigates the fatal shooting of the teen.

The teenager, Kristina Coignard, went to the police station last Thursday during the evening. She used an assistance phone in the lobby to tell a clerical worker she needed to speak to an officer.

When officers went to the lobby to talk to Coignard, they claim they “were confronted by a white female who threatened them.” She allegedly “brandished a weapon” and “made threatening movements” before the officers shot her four times. She was rushed to Good Shepherd Medical Center, but was pronounced dead shortly after arrival.

According to the Marshall News Messenger, Coignard was carrying a knife on her at the time, although this detail has not been confirmed. The Texas Rangers have now taken over the investigation.

Heather Robertson, Coignard’s aunt, said that her niece suffered from multiple metal illnesses, including bipolar disorder and depression and had been hospitalized twice after suicide attempts, according to Think Progress."
full story in article
NOTE: her age has been changed twice in headlines of story in online newspapers now they are saying 17 years old

Last edited:
Holy shit. Seriously? A small knife (possibly)? If the pic is recent, she doesn't look that big. Did no one really think to tackle her? Sad.
I guess they must have increased the time they spend instructing some of them to be useless and thrown out how to subdue a subject without lethal force. Cause who the fuck needs that anyway, right?

I guess they must have increased the time they spend instructing some of them to be useless and thrown out how to subdue a subject without lethal force. Cause who the fuck needs that anyway, right?

This is standard operating procedure now. It's been gearing up over the last ten years, when congress decided to start militarizing police departments across the country. More innocent civilians have been murdered by police officers in America during the last ten years (by innocent, I mean those who had not committed a crime or infraction of any sort to even warrant scrutiny), than the number of soldiers killed in the Iraq war. That's a fact you can look up online.

Welcome to the Police State of America.

Since the incident is on videotape, I wonder if Rangers will find the video supports the need of multiple armed officers to fatally fire multiple shots on a teenage girl with a knife. :shifty:

More innocent civilians have been murdered by police officers in America during the last ten years (by innocent, I mean those who had not committed a crime or infraction of any sort to even warrant scrutiny), than the number of soldiers killed in the Iraq war. That's a fact you can look up online.

Welcome to the Police State of America.

I wouldn't go that far. Very few people are really innocent when killed by cops. Take her as an example, no she didn't deserve to die, but carrying a knife is illegal. You cannot openly brandish a knife and if you put it in your pocket you get a concealed weapons charge. It's also not legal to threaten anyone with a knife. According to what's out so far, she died committing a crime, exactly how most "innocent" people die.

Not related to my reply to rod2pop:

No where does it state the knife she had was small, all articles linked say they refused to confirm the weapon was a knife. According to her aunt she's hanged herself and drank toilet cleaner as ways to attempt suicide, those are both pretty serious attempts and not cries for help. People who want help take pills or slash wrists, they don't drink caustic substances known for eating skin. Her aunt says she's been battling mental illness since the age of 4 and she was on medication. Depression medications are a tricky slope, some of them make you want to harm yourself and others even more than you did before you started them.

I'm going to wait for more info before I throw stones. They've said there's video and audio of what happened, it shouldn't be to hard for them to figure out what went on.

I wouldn't go that far. Very few people are really innocent when killed by cops.

Sudonim, it's true. Thousands of people across the country have been shot & killed by police because the cops went to the wrong address, acted on a bogus 'tip' from an anonymous caller, or incited violence to justify further violence (an old man body slammed because the cop though he had an expired inspection sticker comes to mind; I believe there's video to show the victim did nothing wrong in that one). The number of people murdered by cops is genuinely staggering, and the statement I made in my original post is accurate. We can debate their degree of 'innocence' in some cases, but the fact remains a great many of them were simply minding their own business when police made an error - errors which police departments never admit to, choosing instead to say, "Our men performed as they were trained to do."

The majority of Americans are unaware of this, and our government would like them to stay that way. This is why people like me insist on presenting the facts when an opportunity arises.

I was born in 1962. I was raised to respect police officers and help them if possible. And I have had, on rare occasions, an opportunity to help them. But now, after the last ten years (and actually longer, but we'll use the ten year mark for argument's sake), I no longer feel the same way, and actually fear them.

Yes, it will be interesting to see what comes out of this case. Unless the teen girl was charging at them with a knife, I seriously doubt they needed to shoot her - as has happened so many times in the past (for instance, a recent video showing a man, with a knife, being told to put the knife down. He complied, raised his hands, and then a police officer shot him in the abdomen. Luckily he survived, and a citizen videotaping the incident was able to prove the officer lied about the events leading up to the shooting - the officer said the man had charged at him when, in fact, the man did not move and the officer was over 15 feet away).

People really need to learn about this because the problem will only get worse if nothing is done.

Last edited:
Most knives are not illegal in Texas, even switchblades. What you cannot carry is a double-edged one.

If this was suicide by cop. it shouldn't have been that easy.

Most knives are not illegal in Texas, even switchblades. What you cannot carry is a double-edged one.

If this was suicide by cop. it shouldn't have been that easy.
True, most knives aren't illegal in Texas, but Texas carries some of the most harsh knife laws in the US, and even the legal ones all have regulations that need to be met. I looked before I mentioned it. It's legal to own a huge assortment of knives, but carrying them out in public is a whole other thing.

Dennis Tueller was and perhaps still is a training sergeant with the Salt Lake City police department. His eponymous Tueller Drill is designed to demonstrate just exactly how big a risk a person armed with a knife is when he or she is outside contact range with the defender.

The Tueller Drill starts with the defender awaiting the attack, training weapon drawn. The attacker, from 20 feet, is to rush the defender with a training knife bearing at least one chalked edge. The attack is deemed a success if the defender ends up with chalk on his or her clothing, while if the defender is able to say, "Bang bang", before the attacker reaches him or her the attack is deemed a failure.

Mythbusters covered this. From 20 feet, the defender was able to "fire" just as the attacker reached him or her. Inside 20 feet, the attacker always won. I have seen the video on YouTube.

Until I see the taped confrontation I am not willing to pillory either party to this lethal confrontation. I simply do not have enough facts to lay blame.

--Al

Holy shit. Seriously? A small knife (possibly)? If the pic is recent, she doesn't look that big. Did no one really think to tackle her? Sad.
I agree the first thing I thought was why didn't they just tackle her?? She looks no bigger than 120 socking wet. And all these "big bad police officers" couldn't tackle her. Why is it now all cops go for their gun without even trying anything else first.

it's very strange indeed.
who is the dude in shorts that comes on the scene and stays?
a couple of the cops are pretty shaken up. they were in shock.
would like to hear what is being said...

Wish the camera were closer, but it does look like she lunged at him. Don't police carry batons anymore? They could have deflected the knife with a baton. Heck, what about a taser? No tasers? ACTUALLY, now that I think about it...she was taken to the floor earlier in the vid. Why didn't they just handcuff her for her own safety at that point?

Sadly, in the US we have had to militarize our police. When you consider that the street gangs are 5x more violent within the last 10 yrs and have access to better arms than our law enforcement, we needed to up the response. I do not fear the police, I learned long ago, you cooperate with them, don't be a smart ass and argumentative they will be cool with you.

Sadly, in the US we have had to militarize our police. When you consider that the street gangs are 5x more violent within the last 10 yrs and have access to better arms than our law enforcement, we needed to up the response. I do not fear the police, I learned long ago, you cooperate with them, don't be a smart ass and argumentative they will be cool with you.
I agree but I don't understand why the first cop didn't cuff her when he clearly had control of her. standard procedure=to secure hands. it seems like the brass upped the chaos on their own. she was clearly looking for trouble but seemed easily commandeered.
botched job I fear

I don't understand why the first cop didn't cuff her when he clearly had control of her.
I saw that. He completely had the upper hand at that point, and she should have been cuffed for everybody's safety.

I would think that it would be policy that an officer getting physical with a subject would be cause for precautionary cuffing in any case, whether the subject was a skinny little girl or not.

--Al

I would think that it would be policy that an officer getting physical with a subject would be cause for precautionary cuffing in any case, whether the subject was a skinny little girl or not.
Exactly. I am afraid that it is not a militarized police problem but a deficient trained police one. All across the country...

Back