• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
Do kids that are younger than this one get more coverage when they go missing/abducted over there?

I always wonder even over here the different responses in the media towards kids the same age.

For sure, it is definitely the case here that younger kids going missing get rather more attention more quickly.

After all, if someone aged, for example, 13 were to go missing, the likelihood is that he or she is with friends or has decided to go off somewhere for whatever reason. Abduction and worse is, fortunately, not what is going down in the vast majority of cases. But if, say, a 5 year old were to go missing, this would set off full scale alarm bells far more quickly.

Quite simply, older kids go AWOL a lot more often than younger ones, because they are choosing to do so for some relatively benign reason of their own most often. Younger kids go missing much less often, and when they do it is much more likely to be the case that the kid is in serious trouble of some kind.

I think that explains why - in the beginning certainly - the younger kids going missing get far more publicity. If the same were given to every teenager who went AWOL, our media would be saturated with such stories, the vast majority of which would then be concluded in some relatively minor and thankfully benign way. And we'd all lose interest in such stories before very long. So the media has to be sure with older kids that there is real and genuine cause for concern before putting the story out there. Several days will often have to elapse before it begins to gain national traction in the media.

We wouldn't do that to America

You should, there's so much bullshit about America that deserves to be called out, much of it very related to stories that spring up here.

he wouldn't have had to report anything

Didn't report anything. I've reported shit on one occasion only, and that involved a poster openly calling for the torturous violation and mutilation of young females genitalia. The various mods freely visit and read threads on their own you know.

I would agree with you imperialists on the "we should be permitted to insult those that piss us off" sentiment however, provided there's some actual worth or substance that accompanies it. Still have a rough time knowing i can't be too "mean" if a member promotes horrific child abuse for example.

you called my nation "that pussy country" so you have form on this. I am certain that if I or any other Brit said the same of America you'd rightly be all over us.

Depends on the context, which apparently you struggle to understand given your fury over my past comments in question.

I think that explains why - in the beginning certainly - the younger kids going missing get far more publicity.

Do minorities get less attention than normal kids? Often the case in the States.

I don't like the idea of authorites picking and choosing when to alert the public to a missing kid. Doesn't hurt anybody getting the word out even if it turns out to just be some bimbo slag who ran away from home to go fuck gypsies or whatever. And i can't imagine how callous a society would have to be to simply grow tired or disinterested with news of a missing kid, thinking "no biggie, prob just another delinquent". Always a good thing putting that picture of the person in the publics mind.

@JackBurton, thanks for your last point.

And insofar as the rest of it goes, feel free to attack aspects or specific situations in my country, and I'll retain the freedom to do the same to yours. I myself have just taken a massive pop at our own British legal system for letting a paedophile off with a caution - an official telling off - only, plus just two years on our Sex Offenders' register. Fucking joke isn't it? That really is a fucking pussy sentence, and it makes me sick!

But there is a difference between that sort of thing and using words that generally appear to attack an entire nation.

But that's my last word on that, and think we should move on now.

Back