• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Forensicwx

Final Roll Call 4153. STLCO 10-42 10/13 @ 1519
I couldn't find this story here, but apologies if it's a dupe.

"A Tennessee jury has convicted two former star athletes at Vanderbilt University of raping an unconscious female student.

Brandon Vandenburg and Cory Batey were each charged with five counts of rape and two counts of aggravated sexual battery.

Prosecutors told jurors on Tuesday that the defendants believed they were entitled athletes who could "get away with anything."

Jurors took little more than two hours to convict the men on all charges.

The brutal attack was captured on cellphone photos that were shared on social media, authorities said."

http://m.nydailynews.com/news/national/vanderbilt-athletes-found-guilty-rape-article-1.2094226

Thank deity for the dumb ones that love to share on Facebook!

The fact that one man would rape a woman in that condition is sickening enough, but the fact that there were several involved, filmed it and posted on social media takes it to a whole different level of depravity. I hope that they are all punished accordingly.

"Batey testified Monday that he was too drunk to remember the rape.The victim, in court for his testimony, cried and appeared to vomit when he said that."

I had to laugh at that. Too bad she didn't projectile vomit. It should have hit him in the face!!

But in all seriousness I feel horrible for that poor girl. Thankfully she had the strength and mindset to see this all the way to the end.

Last edited:
Yayyy! Finally, a feel good story to start the day! I mean, the rape part and all - terrible - but the fuckers aren't getting away with it :D Let's hope they get the maximum sentence, which will hopefully serve as a warning to other lunk headed idiots. Did you read the article and see the pic of one of the little fuckers weeping for himself? Awwwww...why don't I feel sorry for his little pussy ass?

Sometimes, when I think about the amount of violence going on in the country, I have to wonder if, as I go about my day, I'm watching society slowly buckling, coming closer and closer to the entire system just crashing and everybody begins attacking each other - for no other reason than raw, primitive angst. I already feel like a victim just waiting for my date with death.

When I start to feel like the U.S. is going down the moral (non-religious ref.) shitter, and that we've become an emotional cesspool where we have the right to do some of the most deplorable, heinous shit to each other from setting newborns on fire to raping 101 year old women, I just flip over to World News for awhile and it helps me keep things in perspective. Needless to say, I flip over to World News a lot. :D

Somehow it's not much comfort to me that the rest of the world is in even worse shape.

Holy shit one of the defendands looks identical to the dude from 12 Years A Slave...

years2.jpg

Look at that and then look at the black defendant in the link. Uncanny.

Seems so gay banging a girl with another dude. These guys were standing around in a room together naked, cocks rock hard pointing at one another, while a girl who couldn't even react or reach out and touch them was laying there helpless. It's not like there was some active engagement with a female. It was just two naked dudes banging away on some lifeless sack, might as well have been two homo's playing with a plastic doll(not to dehumanize the victim, just making the point that these two are gay as fuck).

One of my childhood friends was raped like this when we were teenagers.Her douchebag boyfriend slipped something into her drink and when she was passed out he and his buddies took turns forcibly taking her virginity.She woke up in the middle of it and passed out again from fear and pain.So stories like this particularly piss me off.

I remember partying after some local political race. My first husband was all into that shit. A girl who worked in the campaign came with us to our male friend's apartment. She was totally wasted and even peed her pants. My husband and this guy were joking around about her, and I didn't like the way it was sounding even though my husband knew I would kill him if he did anything. When she didn't snap out of it we knew we would have to figure out how to get her home, so we found her address in her purse and drove over there. Our male friend was a big guy so he hauled her ass to her apt while we waited in the car. It took awhile and when he came back he said he had first entered the wrong apt which would probably have sounded suspicious if we hadn't been so fucked up. It wasn't until years later that I wondered if he had raped her. It has haunted ever since.

Apparently Vanderbilt University sees their athletes as people not saints like Florida State University sees their players who can do no wrong.

Thank you Vanderbilt for putting honor before awards...

Well @JackBurton it wasn't me who feels FSU might be a little soft on athletes..

"Who Needs Laws When You’re A Florida State Football Player?
It was the Times’ investigation into the sexual assault allegations against FSU quarterback Jameis Winston last year that exposed a slimy association between the football team’s athletic department, booster club and local law enforcement.
The Times concluded that the Tallahassee Police Department hampered the investigation and only got serious about it when the media started asking questions."
http://dailycaller.com/2014/11/15/who-needs-laws-when-your-a-florida-state-football-player/

Though in all fairness, I am a Gator grad so I might be bias, but I don't think so....

Sometimes, when I think about the amount of violence going on in the country, I have to wonder if, as I go about my day, I'm watching society slowly buckling, coming closer and closer to the entire system just crashing
Every generation has made this comment. Somehow, civilization staggers on.

Every generation has made this comment. Somehow, civilization staggers on.

You are correct. Here is a quote from a famous person.

"The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise."
Socrates

I guess somethings never change...

Dated Feb 4, 2015
A judge's decision to seal all of the trial evidence used to convict two former Vanderbilt University football players of rape is unusual and overly broad, according to advocates for open records and the media.

Judge Monte Watkins issued the order last week without any explanation, other than the assertion that it was "reasonable and appropriate" to do so after the jury convicted Brandon Vandenburg and Cory Batey of raping an unconscious female student who had no memory of the crime. Two other former players are also charged in the case but their trial date has not been set.

Key to the convictions were graphic photos and videos of the assault taken and shared on cellphones. Before the trial, Watkins had placed this evidence under a protective order along with identifying information about the victim. Despite the order, surveillance video from the dormitory on the night of the rape — showing the unconscious woman being carried down a hallway and dragged out of an elevator — was leaked to the television program "20/20," which aired it Friday.
[...]
Bob Steele, an expert on journalism ethics, said the courts, law enforcement and the press have different missions and obligations that are sometimes conflicting.

In a case like the rape at Vanderbilt, reporters will look at how police investigators, prosecutors and judges handled it. Those are profoundly important issues, Steele said, but they can't be examined without access to records.

"It's appropriate for journalists to seek information to tell the truth as best as possible about significant issues," he said. "News organizations do have a responsibility to push back when they believe a judge is using a broad brush or overstepping."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-vanderbilt-rape-case-20150204-story.html

A former Vanderbilt football player who was convicted in the dorm room rape of a student has been declared indigent.

Brandon Vandenburg, who was once hailed as the nation's No. 1 junior college tight end, is currently jailed awaiting a June sentencing. A Nashville jury in January convicted him and former player Cory Batey of multiple counts of aggravated rape and sexual battery for the June 2013 campus assault of an unconscious female student. Two other former players are awaiting trial.

Vandenburg's family has hired East Tennessee lawyers Troy Bowlin and Randy Reagan to represent the former player. The new attorneys say Vandenburg, who is from Palm Desert, California, has no assets and no income, and the judge was right to declare him indigent.

The ruling means the state will have to cover some expenses, such as transcripts.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-vanderbilt-rape-case-20150429-story.html

Well, apparently there was a mistrial hearing, after their conviction and a judge has declared a mistrial. Seems like this is headed back to the trial court for a re-do.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/23/us/vanderbilt-rape-case-mistrial/index.html

From the link:

Davidson County Judge Monte Watkins ruled that one of the jurors was biased and not impartial.

Watkins said the man who became the jury foreman was the victim in a statutory rape case, information the man failed to disclose when asked during the selection process.

During a mistrial hearing last week, the man gave different answers than he did during jury selection for the case against Corey Lamont Batey, 21, and Brandon Robert Vandenburg, 21.

"These inconsistent statements provided during the hearing severely impacted Juror No. 9's credibility," Watkins wrote. "As a result, Juror No. 9 does not meet the standard required to be a fair and impartial juror."

There were also other previous court appearances the juror didn't mention, the judge wrote.

I can see how lying would definitely be a problem in a juror, but are they sure being a victim in a statutory rape case would necessarily make him biased against the defendents in this case?

From the link:

I can see how lying would definitely be a problem in a juror, but are they sure being a victim in a statutory rape case would necessarily make him biased against the defendents in this case?
Lying and omission of prior legal cases suggests motive.

I Stole this from the internet and I would totally be okay if this was part of sexual health education curriculum in their school, how could you read this to a classroom and NOT have a decent discussion about rape. Also the parents of these assholes need this stapled to their foreheads.

1. Don't put drugs in women’s drinks.

2. When you see a woman walking by herself, leave her alone.

3. If you pull over to help a woman whose car has broken down, remember not to rape her.

4. If you are in an elevator and a women gets in, don’t rape her.

5. When you encounter a woman who is asleep, the safest course of action is to not rape her.

6. Never creep into a woman’s home through an unlocked door or window, or spring out at her from between parked cars, or rape her.

7. Remember, people go to the laundry room to do their laundry. Do not attempt to molest someone who is alone in a laundry room.

8. Use the Buddy System! If it is inconvenient for you to stop yourself from raping women, ask a trusted friend to accompany you at all times.

9. Carry a rape whistle. If you find that you are about to rape someone, blow the whistle until someone comes to stop you.

10. Dont forget: Honesty is the best policy. When asking a woman out on a date, don't pretend that you are interested in her as a person; tell her straight up that you expect to be raping her later. If you don't communicate your intentions, the woman may take it as a sign that you do not plan to rape her.

https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/former-vanderbilt-football-player-orchestrated-153128815.html
The Guardian reports that Brandon Vandenburg, a former football player at Tennessee's Vanderbilt university, has been found guilty of orchestrating a gang rape of his girlfriend in his dorm room.

The jury deliberated for four hours in the case before returning with a guilty verdict of five counts of aggravated rape, two counts of aggravated sexual battery, and one count of unlawful photography. The 22-year-old now faces a potential jail sentence of up to 25 years.

During the trial, prosecutors argued that Vandenburg betrayed his girlfriend who trusted him by encouraging others to violate her. They said he plied her with alcohol and then passed out condoms to the other players. He then took videos and sent it to friends as the rapes occurred.

ABC News previously aired surveillance video that showed Vandenburg carrying the victim out of a car and into the dorm, where you can see three football players waiting.
[....]
"Mr. Vandenburg maybe could have stopped it," defense attorney Randy Reagan told jurors. "But the state is asking you to find Mr. Vandenburg criminally responsible for the actions of people he didn't know minutes before all this happened."

This is not the first time Vandenburg has been found guilty in this case; last year, he and former teammate Corey Batey were convicted, but the verdicts were thrown out after a juror did not disclose that he had been a victim of statutory rape.

Four former players were all charged in the case, with two of them accused of raping and sexually assaulting the woman, including Batey who was found guilty of aggravated rape and other charges.

http://wfla.com/2016/07/15/former-vanderbilt-player-sentenced-to-15-years-for-dorm-rape/

Corey Batey a former Vanderbilt football player was sentenced Friday to 15 years in prison after he was convicted of taking part in the gang rape of an unconscious female student.
Brandon Vandenburg will be sentenced in September
“My mother and family did not raise me in any way to mistreat anyone, let alone a woman, as I have been raised predominantly by women,” Batey told the court. “I hope that if not today, maybe one day, you will find it in your heart to forgive me for any damages that I may have caused.”

Another memorable excuse of an apology and I thought Batey's was infuriating enough.

Ex-Vanderbilt football player who encouraged, videotaped rape sentenced
Sentenced Friday to 17 years in prison under a law requiring aggravated rape convicts to serve 100 percent of their time behind bars.
Vandenburg apologized to her Friday. He told Judge Watkins that he was ashamed of what he had done and blamed it on alcohol.

“My judgment was severely impaired and I’m sad for everyone involved,” Vandenburg said.
The cases of two other former teammates facing rape and other charges - Jaborian “Tip” McKenzie and Brandon Banks, who remain out on bond - have yet to be resolved.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/brandon...all-player-gets-17-years-for-videotaped-rape/

Back