• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

sugarfree irony

Trusted Member
The Sequatchie County Sheriff's Department served a warrant and discovered many medium and large, mixed-breed dogs living in cages inside the home on Austin Road, and some living in cages outside the home.
"It is one of the worst that we have ever seen, that I have ever seen as animal cruelty," said Chief Deputy Randall Lockhart, "I mean the dogs are just, I mean, it's very bad.

Geoffrey Peterson, 54, is now in Sequatchie County jail and charged with animal neglect.
The Chief Deputy said the animal cruelty investigation started months ago when a concerned person called the humane society saying Peterson brought in a dog to be treated for starvation. The dog was treated and released back to Peterson. A few months later, Peterson brought in the same dog and the animal was once again suffering from starvation.

Initial veterinary findings on the condition of the animals includes urine scalding, emaciation, dehydration, anemia, and feces-crusted feet and coats.

Authorities also found several deceased dogs in a freezer on the property.

"It's definitely inhumane conditions there. You're not able to breathe inside the house," said Leighann Lassiter, Tennessee State Director of the Humane Society of the United States.

Many of the animals were living in cages and covered in their own waste.

"There's a lot of hair loss. Presumably from living in their own urine and feces," Lassiter said, "There are some animal that have some various wounds."
The animals are being gathered and crated for transport to McKamey Animal Center and the Humane Educations Society in Chattanooga, where they will be evaluated, examined and treated by veterinary staff.
Channel 3 spoke with a neighbor who lives across the street. She suspected Peterson didn't live at his home on Austin Road, but she had no idea he was sheltering so many animals. She said whenever the two would talk, Peterson told her he was a member of PETA, a vegan and loved animals.
2v3shep.jpg

http://www.wsmv.com/story/27670642/animal-cruelty-case-being-investigated-in-sequatchie-county

I feel bad if I'm late getting my cats ( only 3 of them ) to the vet for their yearly check up . I can't fathom this mindset animal hoarders seem to have . They say they " love " these animals yet let them suffer so much . This is not too far away from me and while we do not have large shelters here the local vet has always worked hard to adopt out any safe pets for free .

So he could afford to take them to the vet but couldn't afford to feed them? That's all I can think of, I have three dogs and when I'm just an hour late feeding them I feel bad about it. And I promise you they've never completely missed a meal, even when I was int he hospital, my son came everyday to feed them. I can't figure these people out, What makes them do this?

I'm actually kind of torn on this one. I understand some of the psychology behind hoarding even animals and the fact that he kept getting treatment for the one dog has me torn. It's almost like he thought he was doing the right thing but because of mental health issues he couldn't actually do the right thing.

Or he's a heartless bastard who tortures animals.

Like I said, I'm torn.

I'm actually kind of torn on this one. I understand some of the psychology behind hoarding even animals and the fact that he kept getting treatment for the one dog has me torn. It's almost like he thought he was doing the right thing but because of mental health issues he couldn't actually do the right thing.

Or he's a heartless bastard who tortures animals.

Like I said, I'm torn.
The highs and lows of mental illness is what causes care and then no care and then care again.

Many many hoarders try to disguise their madness by calling it rescue. Sad for the animals and really its sad for the person too. Because if they could get medicated and find some help they could really help with the over pet population. It could in fact be a good thing. But often times the person really believes they are doing a good thing.

But wait there is more .....
Geoffrey Peterson, the suspect involved in an animal hoarding case and DEA investigation, is facing more charges Friday evening. He along with his mother, 88-year-old Sheila Peterson face charges of Willful Abuse, Neglect or Exploitation of an Adult.

Friday several law enforcement agencies went to the Peterson's home to serve a search warrant to check on the well-being of Dr. Walter Peterson.

Upon entering the home, the inside conditions were deemed unfit. The ADS official was on scene and found Dr. Peterson laying in a hospital bed in a bedroom. He was laying on a wet blanket saturated with urine. The ADS official told officers Dr. Peterson needed to be transported to the hospital due to his physical condition and lack of care. It was also discovered that Mrs. Peterson who lives in the home, failed to give Dr. Peterson his daily medication.
http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/2792900...case-faces-more-charges-along-with-his-mother

I'm not how I feel about someone her age being charged with this , I guess it depends on how well she was doing physically , and mentally .

Hey, where'd the photos go? There were photos with this story. My joke doesn't work without the photos!

Sequatchie County Sheriff Ronnie Hitchcock said this morning that Geoffrey Peterson, the man accused of abusing and hoarding more than 50 animals in Sequatchie County, is now wanted.

Peterson's bond for the charges of animal cruelty in Sequatchie County was revoked in General Sessions Court today.

Peterson also is wanted in Chattanooga for willful abuse and neglect of the elderly.

Peterson was a nurse but his license has been suspended.
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/...authorities-wanted-nurse-may-be-armed/285356/

I did a report on animal hoarders once while in school to be a tech. It's not about saving the animals. They "collect" the animals to make themselves feel better. It's a combination of an early childhood trauma, OCD, and other mental health issues. They usually keep the bodies after the animals are dead, because they think of the animals as their possession, in life and death.

Back