• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
It's called diffusion of responsibility. In a group, everyone thinks someone else is going to be the one to do something.

Have you ever risked life or limb to save a stranger during the course of a violent attack? I ask rhetorically because, until you face that situation, you don't actually know if you're going to even be able to or not. It was estimated by one expert that only roughly 5% of the population will ride to the defense of a stranger in the face of danger. Not because we're evil, but because self-preservation is our strongest instinct, and it's not easy for most people to override that.

Most of that 5% are people who've been trained to override it - cops, soldiers, firefighters, etc. But, without that training, very few brains operate like that in the heat of the moment. We revere it as courage and bravery and treat it like it's a choice, but scientifically-speaking, it's not for a lot of people. Biologically, we are programmed to save ourselves. And overriding that biology usually requires training. That's why heroes are praised by society. It's because they're not that common among us.
Yes I have jumped in .....both prior to going into USAF and as well afterward. Interesting facts you provide.

Last edited:
Yes I have jumped in .....both prior to going into USAF and as well afterward. Interesting facts you provide.

Well, then you chose a very appropriate path for yourself. :)

Some people are born warriors. Genetics determine far more of our behavioral predispositions than we have come to realize through science, but we are on the way with fields like behavioral genetics and epigenetics. Some people are just shitty. But a lot just don't have it in 'em, you know?

Some people are born warriors. Genetics determine far more of our behavioral predispositions than we have come to realize through science, but we are on the way with fields like behavioral genetics and epigenetics. Some people are just shitty. But a lot just don't have it in 'em, you know?

I dig very deep to try and understand why someone would not step up/step in. I have friends who are scared to make a stand for themselves let alone others. I do know some freeze not able to even physically move.

I do empathize that others do not have it in themselves to step out and step up! But I'll never sympathize b/c I don't have it in me to mind my own business. If I'm gonna go, I'm going in style!

Last edited:

Think I'll go do some research on it. I believe that is in the psychological arena. Self preservation over societal obligations. @Athena enjoy these discussions!

The anniversary of Luke's death is just over 2 weeks away she's been an amazing anti-violence campaigner speaking out about domestic violence a day after he died & hasn't stopped since. I welled up when I heard she won.

Australian of the Year 2015: Rosie Batty awarded top honour for efforts to stop family violence

She now champions efforts to fight domestic violence, making many media and public speaking appearances to shine a spotlight on the issue and call for systemic changes.
Ms Batty said that while Australians live in a "wonderful country ... there remains a serious epidemic across our nation".

"We need to look at cultural change, where does violence come from?" she asked.

"You need to look in you own backyard."
"Family violence may happen behind closed doors but it needs to be brought out from these shadows and into broad daylight," she said.
"To Luke, my little man, you did not die in vain and will not be forgotten. You are beside me on this journey and with me every step of the way."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-25/rosie-batty-named-australian-of-the-year-2015/

Back