• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
Very true. But, it was a great energizer and crummy mood changer for an icy, cold, gray Saturday. Since I'm not physiologically able to partake of/imbibe some of life's more pleasurable, chemical mood changers, music is my drug of choice. :)

@HagarTheHorrible - I haven't heard Jon & Vangelis since the early 80's. The synthesizer work is outstanding and I could recognize Jon Anderson's voice anywhere no matter who he's collaborating with. Vangelis is one of the synthesizer composers originally credited with opening the door to the big Synth Rock bands (progressive) of the 80s. The entire genre was built on the premise saying that "if you don't have a voice but you can rock a synthesizer, you'll make millions." Anderson is a great example of an exception.

After hearing this, you know I just had to pull out my Yes discs. Love the double songs and split style sequed into this first one (do you play chess? :)). They liken life to "The game of Kings" in several of their songs. The second is just a great one to sing along to and enjoy with the minor chording and canon changes at the end.

"Move me on to any black square/Use me any time you want/Just remember that the goal/Is for us all to capture all we want/Cause it's time is time in time with your time and its news is captured for the Queen to use!"

"Move yourself, you always live your life never thinking of the future/Prove yourself, you are the move you make/Take your chances win or loser."

PS: "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is a beloved one my son and I listen to quite often, actually. :)

Last edited:
@HagarTheHorrible - I haven't heard Jon & Vangelis since the early 80's. The synthesizer work is outstanding and I could recognize Jon Anderson's voice anywhere no matter who he's collaborating with. Vangelis is one of the synthesizer composers originally credited with opening the door to the big Synth Rock bands (progressive) of the 80s. The entire genre was built on the premise saying that "if you don't have a voice but you can rock a synthesizer, you'll make millions." Anderson is a great example of an exception.

We had a pretty vibrant synth band scene over here that was particularly prominent and influential from about 1979 to 1983. On this side of the water the very early pioneers were a German group named Kraftwerk who sprang up in the latter 70s, and the French guy, Jean Michelle Jarre. The latter produced synthesised instrumentals - no singing - that were almost orchestral in style. The British synth artists who burst onto the scene from about 1979 very much did so when I was at just the right age to be hugely into all that was new and fresh like the typical teenager I was.

I liked a lot of that stuff - artists like Soft Cell, the Human League, Visage, OMD, Heaven 17, Tears for Fears, Gary Newman. Although perhaps many of these might not have been big in America, in terms of the artists themselves, there probably was a lot of cross-fertilisation in both directions across the Atlantic. Popular music in both Britain and America has always both been influenced by, and been influential upon, each other in major ways. And many top bands and performers on each side of the Atlantic are frequently well known and popular in both countries.

Anyway.....I'll leave you with this 12 inch single (remember the days of vinyl? Lol) from Soft Cell, an extended version of a chart hit from 1982 which incorporates a real saxophone over the synth track and sounds stunningly soulful - better than the singing bits actually.....

Ha! @HagarTheHorrible - Were they popular here? Are you kidding me, lol? Many still are popular here. :) And you nailed it, the crossover between the U.K. and the U.S. has always been great, and we love our Brit, Irish and Scot bands over here, but in the 80s, it was a wild free for all.

Somewhere in these pages members have already posted Depeche Mode, Erasure, Oingo Boingo, Tears for Fears (me), Echo and the Bunnymen and a couple of others. I loved club dressing in my Madonna-wear PVC, hair bows and pounds of accessories.

Saw Duran Duran up close and personal, and a crap ton of others back in the days when Stabbing Westward, The Pet Shop Boys, The Thompson Twins, Flock of Seagulls, Spandau Ballet, Culture Club, WHAM!, and all the other great genre bands were burning up the airwaves, the club scene and, of course, the fashion scene.

That was *such* a fun musical era, and it's one that's had some underground and musical cultist staying power. I still see people in their 20s and 30s doing the Flock of Seagulls and "Big Hair" variations and rockin' the whole way too many bracelets and necklaces, mismatched dangle earrings and PVC with black boots look. A TON of good, rockin' metal Hair Bands were all the rage, too, but bands like these definitely owned it when it came to Pop and Dance.

I know this is already is here somewhere, but w'evs. I love these guys. Was pissed when Curt thought he could make it w/o Roland. Pffftt.

Last edited:
Was listening to Pavarotti's "La donna è mobile" from "Rigoletto" (even if you don't know this aria, you know this aria, you just don't know you do), but as delightfully charming and fun as it is, completely bipolar laments about fickle women probably isn't a good weekend starter no matter whose pipes are coaxing them out.

For any "Don Giovanni" fans, this is what happens when you mix a truly brilliant composer with a truly gifted tenor.

"There are four questions of value, Don Octavio. What is sacred? What is the spirit made of? What is worth living for and what is worth dying for?" ~ Lord Byron

Looks like youtube's down for a verisimo libretto aria from Umbertos Giordano's "Andrea Cheniér" so, I'll stick with Mozart and change the piece to a compare/contrast. :)

I chose Fritz Wunderlich's aria not only because he's beautifully voiced, but with The Three Tenors, each in their own work, getting so much play as our contemporary voices de jour, his catalogue is often glossed over for no good reason.

Last edited:
The keyboard era started in the mid sixties and got its pinnacle in the early 70's with the work os this guys (Keith Emerson):

And there was this guy too:

Keith Emerson is considered Rock's best keyboard player and Rick Wakeman the second by the Rolling Stone magazine. It was the age of Prog Rock. A very pretentious fashion but it had very good things...

and sometimes I better hear "a sad thought that dances"... music for brothels and "the hood" (arrabales):

Here's one of my new favs I guarantee no one's heard before. Remember that operatic bass and choral kid who hangs out at the Lyric I mentioned who could also bend a pretty mean ax?

Here's an original lead guitar piece he recorded dubbed onto a Santana backing track. All that's missin' is a bowl and a big, sticky bud...:jawdrop: :headphone: :cigar: :joyful:

Click it!
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCon9FnWdv9LMZWC0R5ufvSw

I can't believe I said that...:hilarious:

This fantastical piece of crap is on the craptastical loop that plays where I work. When I hear this shit, I want to claw my face off..... or any face, really. Dare you to sit through the entire piece of shit video.

And because I like to ruin his day at every given opportunity, here's a tag... @Morbid

This fantastical piece of crap is on the craptastical loop that plays where I work. When I hear this shit, I want to claw my face off..... or any face, really. Dare you to sit through the entire piece of shit video.

And because I like to ruin his day at every given opportunity, here's a tag... @Morbid

JFC, you are cruel, jaded. How do you stay sane at work? It takes some seriously awful shit to get me to cram pencils in my eyes and ears. Mission accomplished! Lol [ShitVomit emoji]

Back