• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
I hadn't seem this story before but I was thinking damn 180 dogs, they must be hoarders or backyard breeders, aka a puppy mill. Glad to see my feelers are on target as I read on.

I really feel bad for these poor kids and the 18y/o, it's like she's taken the fall for these ass hats. I hope she doesn't have the newborn with her. God be with these poor children as they recover. How disgusting :vollkommenauf:

I remember these two and wanted to check to see if they have ever been found, looks like they are still at large....and this is what I found!

To me this is unfucking believable! I hope police are (at least) following the brother 27/7!

I found ths article about the baby killers brother being arrested and let go with an ankle braclet! There is also information from the then 17 year old "daughter" that admitted "guilt" for 2 year old Enna's death. THIS WAS NINE DAYS AGO! I don't know why the brother was not tourtured until he told police where the baby killers are hinding.

Looks like the "parents" planned to raise the girls and "re-sell" them! After all they were alreay in the puppymill buisness, buy female dogs cheap, stick them in cages, breed then to death but (mean while) reap in the profits. I guess human trafficing is not much different.

And OMG, that bitch is UGLY and I mean so ugly she STANDS out in the sea of UGLY that we feature here.

Does anyone know if there was ever an investigation into the adoption agency they used for at least one of these adoptions?

Ramon Barreto’s brother was under arrest in Memphis this week, and federal authorities had hoped he would tell them the whereabouts of Union County fugitives Ramon and his wife, Janet.

They are wanted in the 2008 death of their 2-year-old adopted daughter, Ena. They also are accused of felony endangerment of their six other Guatemalan-born children and the torture of three of them.

But despite prosecutors’ objections, a federal judge ordered Juan Barreto-Ortiz set free on $10,000 bond after he pleaded not guilty to a May 13 indictment on one count of illegally entering and attempted entering of the U.S.

“The government states that they maintain their position is that no conditions will assure the appearance of the defendant,” read the minutes for the arraignment of Barreto-Ortiz, who apparently was released with an electronic ankle-bracelet monitor.

Jimmy Edwards, Union County chief deputy sheriff, expressed worried surprise at the news.

“Oh, my goodness,” he said.

Edwards has reason to worry.

Thirteen months ago, Janet and Ramon Barreto left their home near New Albany and haven’t been heard from since.

Edwards said U.S. marshals were tipped off that Barreto-Ortiz had been laughing about knowing where his brother is.

Now, although Barreto-Ortiz had not yet been released by late Thursday, Edwards isn’t so sure what will happen when he is.

But efforts continue to find the Barretos.

On Saturday night, the TV show “America’s Most Wanted” will try again to solicit tips about where the Barretos may be. Law enforcers speculate they are in Mexico, where Ramon has family.

Scott Sanders, interim U.S. marshal in Oxford, said two local marshals – Dennis Spencer and Gale Manning – are expected to be on the TV show set to take any calls about the Barretos. It airs at 8 p.m. on Fox.

AMW has aired programs twice about the Barretos in hopes of gaining enough information to capture them to return for trial in Union County.

Scott also said his office has asked that the Barretos be added to the Marshal Service’s Top 15 Most Wanted, a designation that will put more resources into finding them.

The new status also could put more pressure on Mexican officials “to make something happen,” Edwards noted.

Janet Barreto’s daughter, Marainna Torres, is serving a five-year prison sentence for her part in her adopted sister’s death in May 2008. At age 17, she admitted that after she spanked the child, on her mother’s orders, she threw her across her bedroom into a plywood-bottomed baby bed and Ena landed on her head.

“Go back there and beat her ass,” Torres said in relating her mother’s words about Ena.

“None of the kids had mattresses in their beds,” she told investigators in a transcribed interview obtained by the Daily Journal. “They would have plywood. And the rooms were, some of them were really dirty. There was dogs in the house. There were needles where my mom would, she would give her insulin and she would just leave them on the counter. There was medicine everywhere where the kids could get.”

Ena’s autopsy showed two distinct blows to the head. Torres admitted she dropped the child as they entered the house the night she died.

When law enforcement came to the County Road 87 home after Ena’s death, they were met with the sight of filth, insects, food and garbage, soiled diapers and animal feces throughout the residence. They also discovered a large puppy mill in the backyard.

Torres, now 19, told them her mother planned to “re-sell” some of the female children over the Internet or through adoption agencies.

Torres said she was the children’s main caregiver and snapped under the pressure when she killed Ena. She also said she was afraid of beatings by her mother and did what she was told.

“I knew I couldn’t go out and tell somebody. I was scared,” she said in the 72-minute interview.

Before the Barretos began adopting children from Guatemala in 2005, they apparently adopted a girl, Santanna, whom Torres said was kept in a dog pen in a closet. Their indictment states the child was caged “for prolonged periods of time” from 2000 until Feb. 8, 2006.

This child reportedly was re-adopted by a family friend. Torres said the girl “gets sexually molested,” but in the interview Investigator Roger Garner told her he took the girl away and put her with “a good family.”

“She’s safe,” he told Torres.

Investigators also asked Torres if Ramon Barreto ever did anything sexual to the children she tended.

“I was not with them every minute of every day,” she answered. “I’m not going to say he did because I never seen him do anything, but I’m not going to say that he didn’t because I don’t know because I wasn’t there.”

The day Ena died, Torres said she was especially irked by her mother’s behavior on the way to the hospital with the child.

“She was going slow so she could figure out what she was going to say,” Torres said.

Before deciding to go to the hospital, the couple discussed just putting the child in the septic tank and saying she had gone back to Guatemala.

“To say that they could just hit (hide) her and put her in a septic tank is what really showed me like what my mom really was.

“She had even told me to make it look good, to cry,” Torres added. “But I was crying because I loved that baby, not because I was told to cry because she was, most of the time, she was faking it.

“She was just worried about the baby in herself that she had had in her stomach, not that baby that was laying right there.”

Before the couple were bonded out of the Union County Jail in November 2008, Janet Barreto had that baby.

The Barretos wanted to give the baby to his brother, but since then, it has been adopted.

That’s the same brother who was ordered released on a $10,000 unsecured bond on house arrest this week. my "bold"

Contact Patsy R. Brumfield at (662)

Read more: NEMS360.com - Feds hope brother can help them find Barretos

Last edited:
The U.S. Marshals Service and The Humane Society of the United States have alerted the animal welfare community of a fugitive on the USMS’ 15 Most Wanted List and are offering rewards for her capture.

The fugitive, Janet Barreto, is allegedly linked to multiple puppy mill operations and the homicide death of a toddler.
The Marshals Service says from 2005 to 2006, Barreto and her husband, Ramon Barreto, are suspected of traveling to Guatemala on multiple occasions to purchase children from a local adoption agency. Upon returning to the United States, the children were allegedly physically abused, malnourished and forced to sleep in deplorable conditions. The children were purportedly often punished with beatings and on various occasions duct-taped to their beds, punched in the stomach and forced to endure having their heads submerged under water. In 2008, the abuse led to the death of one of their adopted children, a 2-year-old girl.
[....]
http://www.king5.com/news/pets-and-...eath-of-toddler-and-puppy-mill-236100501.html

new wanted posters

http://www.justice.gov/marshals/investigations/most_wanted/barreto/barreto15.pdf

Veterinarian: New Albany puppy mill 'worst condition' she's seen

NEW ALBANY, Miss. (AP) - A veterinarian says the New Albany puppy mill had the worst conditions -- she's seen.

Dr. Gretchen Ganas with the Animal Care Center in Tupelo tells Memphis' WMC-TV that the situation was used only for breeding puppies and making money.

Union County sheriff's deputies discovered signs of a puppy mill operation on last Sunday when they raided the home of Janet and Ramon Barreto after doctors at Le Bonheur Children's Medical Center in Memphis, Tenn. tipped off officials about possible child abuse involving a 2-year-old child.

The child, Enna Barreto, who had been adopted by the couple, died at the hospital a week ago today (Monday) and her death was ruled a homicide.

Yesterday (Sunday) Ganas and volunteers -- working in a makeshift veterinary clinic -- helped care for some of the 180 dogs who were found.

Animal shelter director Debbie Hood of the Tupelo-Lee Humane Society told the station the animals will require a special adoptive family because of what they've been through.

Link
Id love to adopt those dogs and show them what a loving family is like :(

@Jaded
one of your old ones and caught near you
2sb6d1w.jpg

Ramon and Janet Barreto​
Police Capture Suspected Child Torturers On The Run Since 2009
[...]
Mississippi couple at the center of a manhunt that began in 2009 have been caught in Oregon.

Ramon and Janet Barreto were apprehended in Portland, Oregon, on Wednesday. The couple was on the U.S. Marshals Service's list of top 15 most wanted fugitives.
[..]
The Barretos are accused of illegally adopting children from Guatemala and torturing them. They were arrested in 2008 after a 2-year-old girl they adopted died.

After the 2-year-old was killed, eight other adopted children were found living in the roach and feces infested home. Federal agents say the children were duct taped to their beds, punched in the stomach, and their heads were forced underwater.

“Janet Barreto is a malicious individual who allegedly abused innocent children on multiple occasions and forced them to live in appalling conditions,” William D. Snelson, U.S. Marshals Service Assistant Director for Investigative Operations, said i
[...]
“Through her alleged crimes, Barreto demonstrated a blatant disregard and lack of respect for life other than her own. Adopting children and bringing them to the United States only to abuse and neglect them is a horrific crime."
[...]
their 2008 arrest, the couple fled after being released on $450,000 bond. Investigators began pursuing them in 2009.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...turers-caught_n_5675248.html?utm_hp_ref=crime

sure as hell werent hiding out at a fat farm
29nvwp3.jpg

2hoff3l.jpg

[...]
Janet and Ramon Barreto have been running from Union County investigators and the U.S. Marshals Service along the west coast. They were indicted in the death of their 2-year-old adopted daughter in 2008 and fled after posting bail for the manslaughter charges.

"Their job was to try and get away, and it was us and the Marshals job to try and catch them and ultimately, we won
[...]
Edwards was the lead investigator on the case when the crime occurred. He has made it his mission since his time in office to find the couple and bring them back to face justice.
[...]
investigation began when the 2-year-old girl was taken to the hospital in New Albany, Miss. with suspicious injuries. She later died in a Memphis hospital.
[...]
charged the couple and Janet Barreto's daughter, Marianna Torres, with manslaughter. Torres eventually pleaded guilty, but her mother and step father fled. Torres was sentenced to five years in prison in connection with the 2-year-old's death, but was released early.

"The Marshals Service and the sheriff's office has never forgot that child that lost her life," Edwards said in a news conference outside the federal courthouse
[...]
After searching the couple's Union County home, investigators alleged several adopted Guatemalan children were duct-taped to beds, dunked underwater, and even punched in the stomach.

For years, investigators searched for a break in the case.

It came this week in Washington where the Barretos were reportedly seen selling DVDs in a parking lot. The two were later arrested nearby in Portland, Ore.
[...]
Authorities credited the community for reporting tips after watching news stories about the couple.

"It's because of that cooperation between state and local officials, as well as the news media, we got the word out, and eventually an informant saw some of that news and brought it to our people," said Dennis Erby with the U.S. Marshals Service.

Investigators said she was put in charge of all of the adopted kids, but was a child herself and an abuse victim.

"Her cooperation and the fact that she was born into a situation and raised in an environment that led to these charges had some bearing on the judge's decision,"
[...]
Including Torres and the two-year-old who died, detectives say a total of nine children were abused and neglected by Janet and Ramon Barreto.

Torres is expected to be asked to testify against her mother and stepfather.

Marshals recovered a child when they captured the Barretos in Oregon. It's unclear how they got the child.
[...]
ttp://www.wmcactionnews5.com/story/26269971/miss-couple-at-center-of-manhunt-since-2009-captured-in-ore

So basically to them children are here to be abused, at least that's what I'm getting. Glad they were caught.
@China I know you hate using your older kids as baby sitters and this is a prime example why. That girl was 17 and ain't no telling how long her "parents" used her as forced labor.

I'll bet they had some "REHOMED" children, you know the ones that are given away on the internet by their adopted family because they suddenly don't want them anymore for whatever selfish reason they can come up with. I am so glad these bastards were caught and I really hope that the oldest daughter has got her life together, she was really a child too.

So basically to them children are here to be abused, at least that's what I'm getting. Glad they were caught.
@China I know you hate using your older kids as baby sitters and this is a prime example why. That girl was 17 and ain't no telling how long her "parents" used her as forced labor.

I never used my oldest as a babysitter. The closest I came to it was him watching them while we go out but that's at 10pm-1am and they're all asleep and he'd stay in the living room till we got back. He knew to call us if any of them woke up; me and hubs would be close enough that we'd be home in 10 min.

I hate it when I hear shit like this, if the older kids want to help out they can, but to have kids and let them raise your kids is unacceptable. In this case they adopted kids just to treat them like animals.

This fat bitch is gonna in prison and I hope her and the other bastard get more than the 5 years their daughter got.

Your arm muscles just give up after holding up so much weight for so long? She's gonna be going a prison diet with her water and 'loney sammiches!

I would like to know how they got handcuffs on her? It doesn't look like they would fit around her wrists.

Notice they are not behind her, never in a million years get her cuffed behind her back. But I'm guessing she really isn't a big safety concern since she's not going to be moving very fast, if at all, and the only danger she respresents is if she rolls over on them. LOL

Notice they are not behind her, never in a million years get her cuffed behind her back. But I'm guessing she really isn't a big safety concern since she's not going to be moving very fast, if at all, and the only danger she respresents is if she rolls over on them. LOL
Where in the hell did they find cuffs that would fit her? :eek:

Janet Barreto on Monday pleaded guilty in Union County Circuit Court to six counts of child endangerment, three counts of child abuse and one count of manslaughter.

She was sentenced to 60 years with 35 years suspended.

Following her original indictment in 2008, she and her husband Ramon fled. They were arrested in August in Portland, Oregon.

They left 2-year-old Ena Barreto at a northern Mississippi hospital in 2008, saying she had fallen from a shopping cart. The girl died at a children's hospital in Memphis, Tennessee

Ramon Barreto remains in jail awaiting trial on a 10-count indictment in the case.
http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/story/26670497/janet-barreto-pleads-guilty-sentenced-to-25-years

Merry Christmas ho ho ho
Once Most Wanted fugitive, Janet Barreto, dies in custody

Janet Barreto, once on the U.S. Marshals' Most Wanted Fugitives list for the death of her adopted 2-year-old daughter
[...]
has died.
[...]
the 43-year-old died of natural causes shortly after 9 a.m. on Wednesday at the Central Mississippi Medical Center
[...]
Barreto pleaded guilty to six counts of child endangerment, three counts of child abuse, and one count of manslaughter and was sentenced to 25 years on Sept. 29.

She spent five years on the run with her husband, Ramon Barreto
[....]
She was added to the U.S. Marshals Service's 15 Most Wanted Fugitives list in 2013.
[...]
http://www.wmcactionnews5.com/story/27704027/once-most-wanted-fugitive-janet-barreto-dies-in-custody

Back