• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

evervigilant

Trusted Member
A seal has been found in the middle of a field in Merseyside.

The "distressed" sea mammal was found by a dog walker close to Newton Brook near Newton-le-Willows, police said.

The British Divers Marine Life Rescue Service (BDMLR) will put the grey seal in a trailer before it is released into the River Mersey.

It said the seal is likely to have come from the Mersey before "getting lost". It was found about 17 miles (27km) from the nearest coastline.

_79883315_england_merseyside_newtonlewillows464.jpg

Rachael Fraser, from BDMLR, said: "We think he's come from the Mersey area, which is tidal, and he's come up the bank here and he's got lost.

"It's very unusual."

Seals are powerful animals and potentially dangerous, police said. They have advised members of the public to stay away from the area.

_79887161_79887160.jpg
The seal was found by a dog walker at about 09:30 GMT
Steve Marsh, from BDMLR, said: "It's not an easy job certainly because they are large animals.

"They can be quite aggressive and we do have people in our charity that can actually handle those large seals, but in this instance we are probably going to have to be using the fire brigade to help out."

He said the fire service had a "good animal rescue team".

_79887340_75581359.jpg

Grey seals
_79887344_7cee5f33-7132-4c68-bad8-433a3a4e1297.jpg

• Grey seals are mainly found along the exposed rocky northern and western coasts of the UK
  • They have grey and brown fur, sometimes with a pattern of blotches, no visible ears, a long muzzle and a flat or convex profile
  • They can grow to over 7ft (2m) long and 500lbs (230kg) in weight
  • Grey seals were the first mammals to be protected by modern legislation, under the Grey Seals Protection Act of 1914. They are now protected by the 1970 Conservation of Seals Act

If I've copied and pasted too much I'm sure one of our lovely mods will fix it for me. Isn't this amazing though lol? I was expecting to read that it was dead but they're gonna get it back to the water. Feckin' adorable.

Could a seal flop-walked itself SEVENTEEN miles? Could someone have brought it to where it was found? They are very graceful in water but not on land, I don't see it "walking' 17 miles, that just sounds incredible! But I'm really glad it's getting back home.

Could a seal flop-walked itself SEVENTEEN miles? Could someone have brought it to where it was found? They are very graceful in water but not on land, I don't see it "walking' 17 miles, that just sounds incredible! But I'm really glad it's getting back home.

They think it may have made it's way up the river banks, but you never know. Remember the shark that ended up on the golf course in Australia? I think that was seriously bad flooding that made it possible, and I also think they left it there in the water hazard lol.

Dipshit seal shoulda been left to die. We shouldn't meddle around with nature like this. Clearly this animal was too dumb to survive on its own. You have the entire fucking ocean yet you end up 17 miles into some ugly ass field in grungy, rainy england?

Let it die.

I'm glad the seal had only himself to blame for his predicament, I'm glad that somebody didn't sealnap him and dump him so far from the sea. I hope he does well, I'm gonna name him Randy! LOL

Back