• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

China

La Mera Mera
1412163757887_wps_2_The_wife_suspected_of_sho_zpsryqifodb.jpg

The wife of a Southern California mayor walked free out of a police station Tuesday night after being questioned about the shooting death of her husband of 28 years, sheriff’s officials said.

Bell Gardens Mayor Daniel Crespo, 45, was gunned down during a domestic dispute at their home in

[...]

The mayor punched the couple's 19-year-old son, Daniel Jr., in the face when the teen tried to intervene in the fight between his parents, investigators said.

Crespo's 43-year-old wife, Lyvette, then allegedly grabbed a gun and shot the mayor multiple times in his upper body.

[...]

a handgun was used to fire three rounds at the mayor, striking him in the torso.

Both the wife and son were questioned at the Bell Gardens police station. Several hours later, sheriff's detectives said the pair had been released and that no arrests had been made.

[...]

As representatives and residents of Bell Gardens, today's tragic news about the passing of our dear friend, Bell Gardens Mayor Daniel Crespo, is shocking and a tremendous loss for our close knit community.

[....]

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Bell-Gardens-Mayor-Shot-277669961.html

Both the wife and son were questioned at the Bell Gardens police station. Several hours later, sheriff's detectives said the pair had been released and that no arrests had been made.
Sounds like perhaps they were already aware of his violent tendencies...

nvestigators say Bell Gardens Mayor Daniel Crespo's wife Lyvette fatally shot him during a domestic dispute at home on Tuesday.

But as her lawyers paint the picture of an abused wife who acted in self-defense, Crespo's brother tells a different story. He spoke exclusively with Eyewitness News on Thursday, revealing a secret affair between Daniel Crespo and another woman.

"He came to me crying and he said, 'Willy I cheated on her,'" said William Crespo, Daniel Crespo's brother. "It was wrong that he cheated on her."

William Crespo says Daniel had a mistress, an affair that he was ashamed of and tried to break off. But the woman was persistent, says William, even telling Daniel that she was carrying his baby.

"She wouldn't let go. She kept saying she was pregnant, and then my brother, he wanted to find out if she was really pregnant. She was pregnant," said William. "She was. She's not pregnant. She lost the baby."

[...]

William says she harassed both Daniel and wife Lyvette. William heard the woman calling the morning of the shooting, when Lyvette was present.

Asked if Lyvette got mad, William said, "Yes. What wife wouldn't get mad?"

William Crespo believes the woman called later too, igniting a final fight between the couple, ending when Lyvette fired the fatal shots.

[...]

The lead homicide detective in the case tells Eyewitness News that William Crespo's information is an element of their investigation, but will not say whether Lyvette disclosed anything about an alleged affair during questioning.

Thursday, attorneys for the family say there was only one motive: that Lyvette shot in self-defense.

"I think the evidence will corroborate that she's been the victim of domestic violence for many years," said Eber Bayona, Lyvette Crespo's attorney.

[...]

"They are entrapped in these situations and sometimes it's not easy for them to go and tell somebody," said Bayona.

William Crespo says his brother was not an abuser. He says it is important for people to know there was much more stressing out the marriage that had lasted 28 years.

"Lyvette don't have a husband and she don't have to bother no more, and my brother could rest at peace," said William. "That's what I want, him to rest in peace. Nothing's going to bring him back."

[...]

http://abc7.com/news/exclusive-bell-gardens-mayor-had-affair-says-brother/334814/

Bell Gardens mayor dragged wife by hair, autopsy report says

[...]
Crespo's adult daughter, Crystal, told investigators that the mayor was "verbally and physically abusive to her mother over 20 years,"
[....]
That abuse, she said, had become more physical in the last two years and her parents argued over his infidelity.
The decedent and his wife were not sleeping in the same bedroom and he was known to drag her by the hair to force her to do so,
[....]
Crespo's daughter said the abuse incidents did not leave her mother with serious injuries and the abuse had never been reported
[...]
"The decedent had threatened to kill her and the children if she attempted to report the abuse,"
[...]
"The decedent's mistress had reportedly begun making annoying phone calls to the decedent's wife at the residence recently."
[...]
In an anguished 911 call, the couple's son, Daniel Jr., told a police dispatcher: "He hurt me. He hurt me. He's on the floor dying.
[...]
His voice breaking, he said things at his home weren't as they appeared:

"Nobody ever knew."

Lyvette's attorney, Eber Bayona, previously told reporters his client was the victim of violent outbursts by her husband starting at the time she was pregnant with their first child.
[...]
Daniel Crespo's brother, William, accused Lyvette of killing her husband over his philandering. He filed a wrongful-death lawsuit against her on behalf of his mother, demanding more than $53 million.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-bell-gardens-mayor-autopsy-report-20141219-story.html

O petes sakes. Do they ever think of the kids first? This whole thi g fucking pissis me off bad enough fir now

I think she was thinking of the kids..her husband punched their son in the face because he tried to break up a physical fight between his parents. I see a wife tolerating violence and infidelity for a long time and a punch in the face to their child being the icing on the cake...It seems to me that she stood up for her son more in one day than she ever stood up for herself in 28 years of marriage.

William Crespo says his brother was not an abuser. He says it is important for people to know there was much more stressing out the marriage that had lasted 28 years.

How does he know? I've met abusers who are perfectly lovely people to everyone else in their life, but take everything out on their significant other and/or kids. If he was having an affair, then I very much doubt it was his first... so it would probably take more than that to tip her over the edge. The fact both adult children back the mother's story is pretty compelling to me.

Not to be insensitive to the dead guys family but....sounds like he was a real piece of shit and y'all didn't know him like you thought you did.
He should have kept his hands off his son. Maybe she felt like him putting his hands on her was one thing but hurting her son was a unforgivable crime and she was gonna make him pay.

I'm surprised it took 28 years for it to get this point. A lot women would have done him before now. I guess his wife took so much abuse for so long it appeared to be normal to her. This is an example of power going to someone's head for so long he thought it was normal too. I would rather live my normal boring life than be subjected to this.

The wife of a small-town Southern California mayor shot dead during a domestic dispute in their home has been charged with manslaughter in the slaying and pleaded not guilty on Thursday during her initial court appearance, prosecutors said.

Lyvette Crespo, 43, was arraigned before a Los Angeles County Superior Court judge who ordered her held in lieu of $150,000 bail in connection with the Oct. 1 fatal shooting of her husband, Daniel Crespo, 45, who was the mayor of suburban Bell Gardens.

The indictment charging her with one count of voluntary manslaughter was unsealed on Thursday, and included an allegation that she discharged a handgun.

If convicted, she could face up to 21 years in state prison, prosecutors said.

Lyvette Crespo's lawyer has said the shooting was the culmination of domestic violence she and her children had suffered at the hands of her husband for many years.

The couple were arguing at their condominium when their 19-year-old son, Daniel Crespo Jr., intervened, leading to a physical altercation between father and son, according to a sheriff's department account of the confrontation.

At that point, investigators said, the mother retrieved a gun and shot her husband multiple times in the torso, and the son called authorities. The mayor was pronounced dead at the scene.

The couple, who were high school sweethearts, had been married since 1986.

In addition to serving as mayor of Bell Gardens, a tiny, predominantly Hispanic town about 10 miles southeast of Los Angeles, Crespo worked as a Los Angeles County probation officer for more than 20 years.

Crespo was born and raised in a housing project in the New York City borough of Brooklyn before he and his wife moved to California. The couple also had a daughter.

An attorney for the children has said they both stood behind their mother.
http://news.yahoo.com/wife-slain-california-mayor-charged-manslaughter-201828040.html

Back