• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Whisper

#byefelicia
674obd.jpg

George Junius Stinney Jr. was charged, tried, convicted and executed in 83 days for the killing of two girls in South Carolina in 1944. No physical evidence linked him to the crimes.
qrc1e1.jpg

Stinney was electrocuted on June 16, 1944, not yet three months after the murders. He was 14 years, seven months and 29 days old, stood 5-feet-1 and weighed 95 pounds.​
[...]
skinny black naïf, posing for a mugshot in jail stripes, was on a legal steamroller bound for the electric chair.
[..]
defeated look on his face suggests he was well aware of his destiny.

The boy was George Junius Stinney Jr., 14, who was accused of killing two white girls 70 years ago in the Jim Crow south, in the company mill village of Alcolu, S.C.

The crime was a nightmare.
[...]
so was the hasty retribution.
[...]
March 23, 1944, Mary Thames, 7, and Betty Binnicker, 11, pedaled a bicycle into the countryside in search of wild passion flower blossoms.
[...]
failed to return home, and their bodies were discovered the next day in a watery ditch near the black side of town, where Stinney lived with his parents and three siblings. The girls had been brained with a 15-inch railroad spike.
[....]
Sheriff H.S. Newman, acting on “information I received,” arrested Stinney, who had spoken to the girls as they passed his home.

Newman and a state cop questioned the boy and soon emerged with a full confession — two confessions
[....]
In the first, the boy said he was helping the girls after Mary fell into the ditch.
[....]
suddenly began hitting him, so he defended himself. In the second version, he said he killed Mary so he could sexually assault Betty, although there was no evidence of rape.
[...]
trial began and ended on April 24, a month after the murders. No physical evidence linked him to the crime, so his prosecution hinged on the confession.
[....]
Defense attorney, Charles Plowden, 33, did not challenge the confession. Instead, he claimed Stinney was too young for a murder conviction. It was a wasted argument since state law said 14-year-olds could be charged as adults.
[...]
jury, 12 white men, convicted Stinney in 10 minutes. They recommend no mercy, and the boy was sentenced to die.
“There was nothing to appeal on,” he later said.
[...]
budding politician, Plowden had antebellum family roots there in Clarendon County. Some say his primary defense strategy was to avoid upsetting the white power structure.

And he succeeded.
[...]
little national notice in a country distracted by World War II, Stinney was sent to Death Row — the youngest person to face legal execution in America last century.
[...]
clergymen and black leaders lobbied Gov. Olin Johnston for clemency, but he was not inclined to show mercy.
[....]
reply to one minister, Johnston suggested that Stinney got off easy: “The colored people of Alcolu would have lynched this boy themselves had it not been for the protection of the officers.”
[...]
Stinney was electrocuted on June 16, 1944, not yet three months after the murders. He was 14 years, seven months and 29 days old, stood 5-feet-1 and weighed 95 pounds.

Most of his family, which fled Alcolu in fear in the days after the boy’s arrest, eventually relocated to the New York
[...]
For decades, his siblings — Charles Stinney, Katherine Robinson and Amie Ruffner — have sought a reexamination of the case.
[....]
finally got a day in court last January, when South Carolina Circuit Judge Carmen Mullen presided over a hearing to determine whether Stinney got a fair trial.

“They took my brother away and I never saw my mother laugh again,” Amie Ruffner, now 78,
[....]
“I would love his name to be cleared.”
A forensic psychiatrist called Stinney’s statement “a coerced, compliant, false confession.”
[...]
the sly police art of manipulating a false confession from gullible kids has been well documented. Judge Mullen seemed to recognize that Stinney didn’t stand a chance in 1944.

“No one here can justify a 14-year-old child being charged, tried and executed in 83 days,” Mullen said. “In essence, not much was done for this child when his life lay in the balance.”
[...]
the prosecutor at the hearing, Ernest (Chip) Finney III, saw the case as a travesty.

“Back in 1944,” he said, “we should have known better, but we didn’t.”
[....]
expected a quick ruling. But nearly a year after the hearing, Mullen remains mum.

Ray Brown, a Baltimore writer who manages a “Redeem George Stinney Jr.” Facebook page, told
[...]
that he sees politics at play.

“Judge Mullen had all the information she needed to make a ruling at the close of that hearing,” said Brown, who is working on a film about the case. “I believe the delay was a choreographed dance to keep this thing under wraps during an election year ... The powers that be in South Carolina are doing their best to not have to deal with a very ugly bit of history. At this point, I think the feds have to step in if we ever hope to get justice.”

Stinney’s brother, Charles, 83, lives in Brownsville
[....]
After 70 years of waiting, he said he has little faith in worldly justice.

“I don’t know what the delay is about with the judge,” he said last week. “But I’m a patient man because I know that, in the end, we all get final justice before the Lord.”
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/s-kid-fair-trial-slays-article-1.2035609
2a9p2ex.jpg

Betty Binnicker (pictured) and pal Mary Thames were beaten to death with a railroad spike.​

The photo of Betty is lovely, she has a certain twinkle in her eyes.

“They took my brother away and I never saw my mother laugh again”

That is such a long time to wait & then wait some more as politics/election years come into play. Hope the resolution comes soon for his siblings sake.

I remember my sons at 14. Three beautiful children lost. What a terrible tragedy and what a waste. Not to mention the fact that the actual killer walked free and may well have done it again.

yeah this really bothered me because I was also watching black history on PBS all weekend as I was doing this one up

Last edited:
yeah this really bothered me because I was also watching black history on PBS all weekend as I was doing this one up
and I never knew that almost all the deaths on the 1960s race riots in Detroit happened on the bridge in front of my house

Last edited:
RIP George Stinney- Every time I open this thread and see your face at the top, it makes me want to cry. You should have been outside, playing ball with your friends, not in jail with a black eye and a look of utter despair on your face. It is a travesty that someone so young was treated so ufairly. I hope in death you found peace and freedom.

157klkl.jpg

Aime Ruffner, the sister of George Stinney, is seen with her family during January hearing in South Carolina to vacate the murder conviction of her brother, who was executed at age 14 for the murders of two white girls in 1944.
Seventy years later, South Carolina judge exonerates black teen who was executed
George Stinney, 14, was electrocuted in 1944 after a 3-hour trial for the murders of two white girls. There was no physical evidence, no witnesses and no appeal.

Legal justice was a long time coming in the case of George Stinney, a 14-year-old black boy
[....]
who became the youngest person executed in modern times when he was electrocuted 70 years ago for the murders of two white girls.
[....]
Judge Carmen Mullins vacated the boy's conviction and cleared his name for the beating deaths of Mary Emma Thames, 7, and Betty June Binnicker, 11,
[....]
Mullins found "fundamental, Constitutional violations of due process,"
[...]
She noted the lack of a credible defense during trial, and said the boy's confession, of which there were two versions, appeared to have been coerced. There were no witnesses and no physical evidence in the case.
[...]
"They took my brother away and I never saw my mother laugh again," said Amie Ruffner, 78. "I would love his name to be cleared."
[....]
victims' families opposed vacating the conviction, saying very little remained in the way of physical records from the trial, and that it would be impossible to determine exactly what happened decades ago in the Deep South courtroom.

The trial lasted only three hours. It took only 10 minutes for an all-white, all-male jury to convict Stinney. He was sent to the electric chair not quite three months
[...]
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/investi...-judge-tosses-teens-murder-conviction-n270176
&
http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/232...nviction-overturned-70-years-after-execution/

Wonder what the familys chances are with a lawsuit against the state should they vacate the sentence.

Back