• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Whisper

#byefelicia
33xbvc7.jpg

Emma Czornobaj, who stopped to help a group of ducklings on the side of a highway, was found guilty Friday, June 20, 2014, of causing the deaths of a motorcyclist and his passenger daughter who slammed into her parked car on on June 27, 2010.​
[...]
woman who parked her car on a highway to help a group of ducklings on the side of the road was found guilty Friday of causing the deaths of a motorcyclist and his passenger daughter who slammed into her car.

Emma Czornobaj was convicted by a jury on two counts of criminal negligence causing death, a charge that carries a maximum life sentence, and two counts of dangerous driving causing death, which comes with a maximum of 14 years in jail.
[...]
was charged in the deaths of Andre Roy, 50, and his daughter Jessie, 16.

She wiped away tears when the verdict was delivered to a packed courtroom
[....]
Quebec Superior Court Justice Eliane Perreault said the 12-member jury voted unanimously.

Czornobaj was released until her pre-sentence hearing on Aug. 8.

Roy's motorcycle slammed into Czornobaj's car, which was stopped in the left lane of a provincial highway south of Montreal in 2010.

Czornobaj, a self-professed animal lover,
[....]
that she did not see the ducklings' mother anywhere and planned to capture them and take them home.
Defense lawyer Marc Labelle said his client was stunned by the jury's decision.

"The fact that she was involved in the accident in the first place was a hard experience for her,"
[...]
"The fact that she had to go through a trial with a lot of publicity was tough and to be confirmed by 12 citizens, the jury, that the conduct was criminal is a hard blow."

Pauline Volikakis, whose husband and daughter were killed in the collision, briefly fought back tears when she left the courtroom.

"I don't wish misfortune on anyone,"
[...]
"It's time that we go on. This will not bring (back) my loved ones."

Prosecutor Annie-Claude Chasse had a message for motorists.

"What we hope is that a clear message is sent to society that we do not stop on the highway for animals. It's not worth it."
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wor...der-stopping-car-save-ducks-article-1.1838604
ob0e91.jpg
I stopped and let 6 goslings cross the street few days ago but I made sure my car was wayyyy the hell over on the side almost on sidewalk

My heart is broken for all involved. She made a snap decision to stop her car where it wasn't safe. Her heart was in the right place but her snap decision cost a family their loved ones and her-her freedom (assuming she will get lock up time for this).

Sad, I am guilty of rescuing every little thing that needs help. But I always try to park my car in a safe place and myself also.

Sheesh, I hope they go easy on her with the sentencing. She made a bad decision, but I can understand how seeing animals on the road makes you slam the brakes.

I'm not sure how to envisage this - if she was stopped at the side of the left lane, could a motocycle not very easily go around it? Unless he was driving very close to the car?

So if you torture and kill your children you get less time than you do for stopping to help animals.

"What we hope is that a clear message is sent to society that we do not stop on the highway for animals. It's not worth it."
This quote is what gets me, that's right asshole teach those do gooders a lesson, but then let the baby beaters slide. Fucking genius!!! This is so obviously an accident, I feel so sorry for everyone involved

It seems the system really loves to punish the humane.
She caused the death of two people because she's a stupid idiot, didn't get humane and stupid mixup
she got punished for being brain dead and a danger to others

It seems the system really loves to punish the humane.

I can't agree with that. They aren't punishing the humane, but punishing people who make extremely stupid decisions that kill other humans. It really is incredibly negligent to stop in the left lane of a highway without even putting on your hazards and walk around. It doesn't even sound like the ducklings were on the road, so she made a blatantly dangerous maneuver to all motorists to aid in a potentially dangerous situation for a couple of ducks. I'm not sure how they could've found her innocent of negligence by the letter of the law.

That said I really do hope the victim's impact statement corresponds well with sentencing and that everyone works on moving on, as best they can. Locking this girl up for a long time will not help any party involved. It's just sad for all.

ETA: oh my gosh I agree with @biteme

So if you torture and kill your children you get less time than you do for stopping to help animals.

This quote is what gets me, that's right asshole teach those do gooders a lesson, but then let the baby beaters slide. Fucking genius!!! This is so obviously an accident, I feel so sorry for everyone involved
I really wish I could "agree" more. This kid (looks no older than 20) made a poor/ reckless decision but it cost her the lives for 2 innocent people. But then you hear about that idiot, with 150 driving arrests .killed a 4 year old and gets 5 years..... Our court systems are so fucked up its almost humorous.

really
@epicmuffin
you

disagree
LOL
I disagree with what was said about her. Yes she made a really horrible/rash decision that cost 2 innocent people their lives but that doesn't make her "brain dead" I think it makes her naive on how her decisions didn't just affect her. Now she probably does, but looking at that photo that girl doesn't look older than 20 . Do you really think she deserves 14 years-life? No, do I think she deserves some? Of course. She [ accidentally] killed a family

Do you really think she deserves 14 years-life? No, do I think she deserves some? Of course. She [ accidentally] killed a family

...a charge that carries a maximum life sentence, and two counts of dangerous driving causing death, which comes with a maximum of 14 years in jail.

It's a maximum of 14 years for one charge, a maximum of life for the other. From that statement she could get as little as probation which I would be perfectly okay with, waste of a girl's life and a city's resources to lock her up. But I also don't know how a jury could say that she's innocent of criminal negligence - that's exactly what she's guilty of.

I believe it was criminal negligence, I believe the jury made the correct decision
14 year is maximum for her crime, unfortunately she'll probably get probation and not serve any jail time
I'm sure Pauline feels 14 years would not enough for having destroyed her family

I disagree with what was said about her. Yes she made a really horrible/rash decision that cost 2 innocent people their lives but that doesn't make her "brain dead" I think it makes her naive on how her decisions didn't just affect her. Now she probably does, but looking at that photo that girl doesn't look older than 20 . Do you really think she deserves 14 years-life? No, do I think she deserves some? Of course. She [ accidentally] killed a family

article-2663995-1EFB8EE500000578-507_634x591.jpg

article-2663995-1EFB904900000578-196_306x421.jpg

Still grieving: Pauline Volikakis, whose husband and daughter were killed in the collision, fought back tears when she left the courtroom

She

Still grieving: Pauline Volikakis, whose husband and daughter were killed in the collision, fought back tears when she left the courtroom

She said she hoped publicity of the case will reinforce a basic message to drivers.

'Future and present drivers should know that we don’t stop on highways, and it’s very dangerous. Even if it’s a small animal that we like or that we want to preserve, we should not stop on the highways,' she said. 'It’s not a place to stop.'

Czornobaj,

She had three years driving experience at the time of the accident.

National Post reported Czornobaj, who doesn't have a criminal record, was willing to plead guilty as recently as April but refused to do jail time.

Her lawyer Marc Labelle said his client was stunned by the jury's decision. He said he may appeal.

'
Emma Czornobaj was convicted by a jury on Friday on two counts of criminal negligence causing death, a charge that carries a maximum life sentence, and two counts of dangerous driving causing death, which comes with a maximum of 14 years in jail.

The 25-year-old was charged in the deaths of Andre Roy, 50, and his daughter Jessie, 16.

Last edited:
Fucking idiot. Lenient sentencing, suppose that's okay given the circumstances, not like she was drunk or doing anything worse then being a total fucking idiot bleeding heart loving stupid ducks too much.

What a fucking moron though. Such a shocking level of stupidity and irresponsibility. I thought it was common knowledge that you never swerve or slam on the brakes for an animal. I could understand if it was some 400 pound moose or something massive like that, that very likely could kill you and anyone unfortunate enough to be driving right behind you when the collision occurs. But ducks, deer, dogs, cats, etc. Responsibly slow down best you can and drill that shit straight on.

She should never drive again. 10 year ban isn't enough for someone who's shown such a high level of irresponsibility and dimwittedness.

Back