• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Whisper

#byefelicia
James-Cavallaro-New-jpg.jpg

James Cavallaro​
The Maine State Museum employee who sprang into action and foiled an attempted child abduction talked
[...]
on Friday.
Sharon Wise said she's not a hero but that her instincts kicked in, and it must have been the growl of her voice that sent James Cavallaro, 58, of Bath, running from the museum
[...]
"The guy came almost running over here and grabbed her coat and is trying to yank it up over her head,
[...]
at precisely 12:18 p.m., she spotted a man lurking in the lobby of the museum where she has worked for years.

Right in front of the reception desk
[...]
the 2-year-old girl's grandmother was hanging their coats when a man tried to snatch her.

"He grabbed hold of her wrist and he starts pulling her, and at that point, instinctively, I bent over and hovered over the child, and I kept saying in a low, very low voice, 'Leave her alone. Let go of her, let her go. Don't you touch her,'
[...]
He kept pulling her, and he pulled her a couple of steps,"
[...]
Wise stepped between the man and the child and prevented an alleged abduction.

"And (I) looked him right in the eye and I was really close to him and I said, 'Let go of her now,' and he waited for a minute, looked me right in the eye and he dropped her hand and left,"
[...]
Within minutes, Capitol police arrested Cavalla in the parking lot and charged him with assault.

"He was definitely not leaving the museum with a two year old. It wasn't going to happen. So I'm glad I was here. Anyone else in the museum would have done the same thing,"
[...]
She said museum employees were trained how to deal with this kind of a situation. She used a firm voice with the suspect, then a stern voice.

Cavallaro is being held at the Kennebec County Jail.
[...]
police said this was a random act.
[....]
have surveillance tapes from the museum, but they wouldn't release them, saying those tapes are part of the investigation.
http://www.wmtw.com/news/attempted-abduction-stopped-at-state-museum/30297322?hpt=ju_bn1

Wtf did the dirty bastard want with a two year old? So glad she noticed him creeping around and kept her eye on him.

She is a hero! And he is a dirty piece of shit. So glad someone had the forethought to train employee's about this happening. He must have thought he hit the kiddie diddler jackpot that day.

Thank you Sharon Wise, that is one less child abduction/murder/rape we will have to read about!

So glad she was able to get the little girl away safely. Also, kudos to the museum for training their employees on how to stop something like that from happening.

YAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!! :smuggrin: I would not have kept my composure so well...she's a real hero. Fuck Spider-Man...this chick makes him look like a wiener.

what's up with all the creepy but stupid kidnappers right before Christmas????? It's like they all woke up in December, and decided to ruin some kids/families Christmas.

This guy have a history of this type of shit? He on a registry? If not, wonder how many he's actually gotten away with over the years.

I'd agree about the randomness. And out of a super public place like that? Quite odd i would think. Wonder if it was some custody related thing rather then a rape/murder deal or if he's just a total nutter.

She's as brave as she is dumb merely nosing up to him and telling him off. He had a gun or knife on him she'd have no chance whatsoever. Should have started hitting and going for eyes and kicking from the getgo.

She's as brave as she is dumb merely nosing up to him and telling him off. He had a gun or knife on him she'd have no chance whatsoever. Should have started hitting and going for eyes and kicking from the getgo.

That creates liability issues, if she had mistaken an innocent situation for an attempted kidnapping. She did the right thing. And, what do you know, it worked. You... so good at finding criticism, you see it even where there is none... :p

On a side note, it seems random because this, what is known as a stereotypical kidnapping (a kidnapping by a complete stranger) is exceedingly rare, with only about 115 occurring annually. Most of these perps quietly lure children off the street with candy or some other motivator. But as we all know, children disappearing from very public places does occur. And, while it's important that we don't exaggerate the "stranger danger", it is important that we are conscious of the threat, as, in 40% of stereotypical kidnappings, the child is killed, and another estimated 4% are never returned. About 50% of the time, the child is sexually assaulted. Incidentally, winter is the season that sees the least stereotypical kidnappings.

My husband and I took Mina to the mall to see Santa yesterday, where we stood in line for two hours, only for her to give us the kind of smile that made it look like she was going to slit Santa's throat next. While we stood there, I don't make her hold my hand constantly. She's free to interact. But I don't take my eye off her. And, heaven help the individual who should foolishly attempt this with my child. I don't have the liability issues of a museum employee. The second I saw Rick take that one dude out by biting his jugular, I knew that, I, too, would use that one day, should the opportunity ever arise.

Oh, the picture, since I'm kind of proud...

2i74vi0.jpg

only for her to give us the kind of smile that made it look like she was going to slit Santa's throat next
She is absolutely adorable!

You're right she looks like she wants to kill someone. I was thinking you guys for making her wait in line for some long and sit on the smelly guy's lap.;)

Back