• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

evervigilant

Trusted Member
A woman convicted of harassing a Marie Stopes clinic director has been cautioned for breaching a court order.

Bernie Smyth, director of the anti-abortion group, Precious Life, was sentenced to 100 hours community service for harrassing Dawn Purvis.

She also received a five-year order restraining her from pestering Ms Purvis or anyone seeking to enter the clinic.

Ms Smyth was back protesting outside the Belfast clinic on Friday.

A police spokesperson later said: "This afternoon, Friday 19 December, a woman was cautioned in the Great Victoria Street area of south Belfast in relation to breaching a court order prohibiting harassment.

Following the sentencing earlier this week, Mrs Smyth's solicitor said the sentence was the subject of appeal and "has no affect in the meantime".

Under the terms of the restraining order, Mrs Smyth was excluded from going within 20 yards of the clinic on Belfast's Great Victoria Street.

The 52-year-old anti-abortion campaigner had denied harassing Ms Purvis, a former Northern Ireland Assembly member, on two dates earlier this year.

Anti-abortion campaigners have protested at the door of the Marie Stopes clinic since it opened in Belfast two years ago.

It is the first private organisation to offer early medical abortions in Northern Ireland, where the legislation regarding pregnancy termination is much more strict than in the rest of the UK.

A woman can only have an abortion if it can be proven that her life is at risk, or if there is a serious danger of permanent damage to her mental or physical health

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-30550741
Women just going into the clinic for information are harassed by this lovely woman and her minions. I'd love her to harass me. Making that choice is hard enough, and worse for women in NI because they have to travel to the mainland. She should just mind her own business and be thankful she's never had to go through it herself.

I fully support abortion for anyone who wants it. If this bitch stuck her face in mine, like she does to people walking into the clinic, my head would just automatically bust her nose and knock her teeth down her throat. It'd be an improvement for the ugly cunt tbh.

I'm pretty sure I've said it on here before but I'm pro-life. Read that again, I am pro-life which means it's a choice I've made for myself and my choice cannot be visited on you.

I will fully admit that there are some situations where I think abortion is used wrong but I also know that those instances that would fit into that category for me are few and far between. I don't agree with abortion being used as birth control, I simply don't but I know that women who do that in the way that I'm thinking are few and far between. But to try to intimidate and scare women for going to a clinic is shameful to me.

I think that it is a woman's choice. To be honest it would make me feel better, if the woman does not want the child, to chose adoption over abortion, but if the woman feels differently, that is her choice.
If that baby is a product of rape, I would not fault that woman for choosing abortion. If, lets say, a 14yo or under is pregnant and they cannot take care of a baby, then I see abortion as an acceptable response.

Good, they need to put a end to all that harassment . It is hard enough for women and girls in NI to get treatment and advice without this bleeding heart and her devotees making their lives miserable.

It's a good thing we don't all go around forcing our views on others. I'm not big on religion but you wouldn't see me waving a placard with BRAINWASHERS! In front of parents about to take their kids into a church/mosque etc.

These type of people would soon be finger pointing and damning single Mothers and their children and moaning about welfare etc once an unwanted baby was born. In the old days they'd force them to have the babies and throw them down a well.
Fucking obsessive maniacs.

I have been both a birth mother, and a woman who had an abortion. They are both insanely difficult decisions to make, and few women who have to make these choices take them lightly. They were each, in their own time, the right thing to do. I have also been to right to life marches.

What I have learned is that as our life experience changes us, it often changes our understanding of what is "right" and what is "wrong". There is no one right answer for everyone. No one should choose for anyone else wether it is "right" for them to be a mother - no one knows better than the pregnant woman herself. Becuase we are women, Society views us all as "girls" and we are treated like children- incapable of making the right decisions for ourselves, and laws are created to "protect" us from our possible "Bad Choices".

We use pregnancy/abortion to separate the "good girls" from the "bad girls" Good girls don't have sex, and if they do they should meekly accept pregnancy as the "punishment" . If they don't -they are "bad girls" and when their lives go to shit after having babies they don't want, then that is right and just, becuase they should have just followed the rules.

I always hear/read people talking about "using abortion as birth control" but I doubt that really happens much- and how do we define that anyway? How many abortions how close together constitutes birth control? If a woman gets pregnant six times, after five do we tell her no abortion? Or just accept that SHE at least knows she incapable of motherhood?

I have no idea what my point was....I got all caught up in my rant. sorry,

Her body. Her choice.
I hate abortion; I support a woman's right to choose. I don't shove my beliefs down anyone's throat. I don't have to carry that baby, give birth to that baby and care for and raise that baby. I have no goddam business interfering in a such a painful choice.

I want abortion to be the safest and RAREST medical procedure ever performed. All those harpies protesting, yelling and shaming the patients of a clinic should be asked these questions:
Will you take this woman in?
Will you feed, clothe, house and pay her medical bills?
Will you adopt the child if she carries it to term?

If the answer to even one of these questions is "no", get the fuck out of there! You are just forcing your personal beliefs on others.

The anti choice protesters want the pregnant woman to have the baby...and that's all. Once the baby is born, their work is done! To hell with the mom, to hell with the kid...we made her have it, now we can go home and feel all righteous.

Sometimes I despair. Second decade of the 21st century and women still have to fight for the right to decide what is best for them.

mr cb says, and I quote, "If men got pregnant, there would be an abortion clinic on every corner and birth control would be free."

I can't even say the word because it grosses me out. Termination of a pregnancy is something that never in a million years could I do. I am so unbelievably against it - when it comes to myself. I don't live anyone else's lives, pay anyone else's bills, feel anyone else's pain, so why should my beliefs dictate what they can and can't do with their own body?

When I found out I was pregnant with my one year old, my boyfriend was ADAMANT about me terminating. I told him to fuck off back to Florida. He couldn't understand that it was my choice, it was my body. I was more than willing to be a single mom, wouldn't be the first time I did it. But, he thought about it, stayed, and he regrets ever having that conversation.

It's the right choice for some people, it's not for others. But that's what it is - a choice.

Back