• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Whisper

#byefelicia
126cydu.jpg

Survivor: A homeless kitten named Phil received sight-saving surgery at Angell Animal Medical Center last week after he was born with no eyelids three months ago
ve3k89.jpg

2csihpl.jpg

Up for adoption: Phil (right) will be put up for adoption with his best friend Vixen in a few weeks​
One can't help but stare at Phil the homeless kitten born in Boston without upper eyelids.

The brave little feline would have gone blind had he not had life-changing surgery
[...]
to help him see again.

The three-month-old kitten received successful surgery at the hand of Dr.Martin Coster from Angel Animal Medical Center
[...]
Phil was born with a condition called Agenesis which makes it impossible for him to blink and therefore would have caused his eyes to dry up and eventually stop functioning.
[...]
adoption center manager Alyssa Krieger first came across Phil and Vixen at the Boston Animal Control shelter in Roslindale on November 24.

'I was immediately struck by Phil’s personality, in addition to the unusual situation surrounding his eyes,'
[...]
'Even though his lack of eyelids caused painful irritation, he was still a typical and playful kitten. We were eager to get him back to Angel where we knew he could get the operating he needed to save his sight,'
[...]
Dr. Coster agreed to perform the operation with a novel form of surgery by taking some of tissue from the cat's lip and using it to form an eyelid.

'A cat’s upper eyelid is very similar in form and function to the tissue in their lip,'
[...]
'By taking some tissue from Phil’s lip and attaching it to the muscles that enable him to blink, we can, in effect, reconstruct his missing eyelids.'
[...]
one week after the surgery Phil is able to blink again and can lubricate his own eyes.

'I expect Phil to recover completely and there’s no reason to believe he won’t have a long and healthy life—with the pain and discomfort of his condition finally resolved,'
[...]
In around two weeks Phil is expected to recover and be put up for adoption with another cat named Vixen who is Phil's best friend.
SOURCE
http://www.floridanewstime.com/nati...e-changing-surgery-to-help-him-see-again.html

I have a cat with one eye... Some sort of weird genetic thing caused him and his liter mate to have one good eye and one eye that was small for the socket, he constantly had to keep it closed, puss and infection were the only thing keeping his eye in place, I opted to spend the 5 thousand and get his eye taken out and make sure he was nice and healthy.

His liter mate's owner decided to let nature take its course, and while yes his eye stayed put eventually(he was cross eyed and the bad eye looked all milky and cloudy) he developed a tumor behind the eye (something I was told could happen if they didn't operate) and he was dead before his fourth birthday...

My main man Buttahs is five years old and acts as a body guard for my children. Only having one eye has never slowed him down, not even when he was drugged up. He's sleek,handsome and the best fucking cat I've ever encountered.....

Phil is gonna be an awesome companion for someone, I would love to make him apart of the land of misfit cats that is my house but six is enough

I keep coming back and looking at him and he is identical to my 24yo cat
I sent email Im willing to pay all costs to bring Phil and his buddy here
We need younger cats here we have all older ones and Phil looks like he will have same kick ass attitude as My Babette

I know a kitty named trooper with one eye, that will jump up on a table to be a bit closer to you then stand on his hind legs and them proceed to wrap his front arms around you in a tight hug.
He is adorable!

I am glad this kitty can live more comfortably

I opted to spend the 5 thousand and get his eye taken out and make sure he was nice and healthy.
This part of your story made me sad. The cost to properly treat him. Not everyone can afford that and that's sad to me.

Anyway, I'm glad you could and your family has a four-legged bodyguard!

awe hes so cute! Makes me think of the poor kittys that are born like this and arent lucky enough to get this treatment, that would be terrible to have been born with. I love kittys!

My kitty Jade is from the adoption center at this hospital! I fucking love that place, they're really good to their animals and everyone I've seen there cares so incredibly much. They even care about the asshole cats. I had to stop going in because I want to adopt ALL the cats and I'm not ready to succumb to being a 100% crazy cat lady.... yet. Give it time.

And, ahem, it's Angell Animal Medical Center, not Angel. Proofread, you journalist bastards. Give them the publicity they deserve.

ETA: I was actually cat shopping online at this adoption center this lunch break. I know they aren't up for adoption yet. I think I have a problem.

Last edited:
2r3gsud.jpg

According to MSPCA-Angell's Facebook page, the pair have now been adopted together to live happily ever after :cat::cat::cat:

Back