• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

juliab49

On June 5th, 1987, a beautiful young woman was to celebrate her 26th birthday. In the early morning of her birthday, Sandra Jean Patton was talking to her mother on the phone. She was excited because she was heading to her moms house soon to to go to drive together to the airport. As a birthday gift, her mom was taking her to Hawaii for a week.

Suddenly, Sandra screamed and the phone went dead. Her mom called 911 and in less then 20 minutes, arrived at her daughters cottage in the woods, located in the country town of Sebastopol, Calif. Crime scene tape was already up. Sandra had been sexually assaulted, bludgeoned, and strangled to death. I happen to live about 2 miles from where she died.

For 27 years this has haunted me. The murder went cold not long after it happened. But I never forgot Sandra. I went back to college to study Criminal Justice. Eventually I became a Private Investigator. Again, I never forgot Sandra. I spoke to her mother for about 2 hours. A few years ago, she passed away. Sandra has no family left, no one to be her voice.

Everyone deserves a voice. Even from the grave. I started to make a profile of the man who murdered her. I spoke to former friends and coworkers. I made many calls to LE. Most were never returned. Then, just a few weeks ago, the Sgt. of the Violent Crime Unit called me. He wanted to hear my profile of the killer, as well as any other thoughts about the case. Thinking it may be my only chance, I told him the profile and theories. Including the fact I believed they had a Person of Interest, but not enough evidence. After listening, the Sgt. said, "You are 100% correct."

He said that the DNA left at the scene had never been tested. He agreed to get it out of storage and have it tested now. He also gave me the green light to interview former friends and coworkers, then report back to him. Of course I am not being paid, but that's fine. It is not about money. It's about Justice.

Thanks for hearing me out. I am open to any advice or thoughts you have. Currently, I am also trying to think of ways - such as groups - that may assist in offering reward money for information leading to convictions. But any feedback is welcome.

Julia

I don't have any help I can offer - but good luck in your search! Nice to see someone stand up for her after all this time!

I don't have much by the way of $$ but I have plenty of brains, interviewing and research skills to offer. Feel free to let me know if you need any help what so ever. This is something I would definitely be proud to be a part of :) Good Luck honey something is calling to you to solve this one and we are all rooting for you to succeed and lock this bastard away. Just as always be careful people are always trying to keep their secrets buried.

I am very curious about this case, but have been unable to find anything online. Are there any old newspaper articles you could link for me?

Also, you might consider contacting Cold Justice. Its a show on TNT. This case sounds exactly like the cases they usually look into.

Please keep us updated.

I am very curious about this case, but have been unable to find anything online. Are there any old newspaper articles you could link for me?

Also, you might consider contacting Cold Justice. Its a show on TNT. This case sounds exactly like the cases they usually look into.

Please keep us updated.

Yes, you are correct, there is only one brief memorial that her mother wrote, that is online, nothing else. No articles. I will find the link to the site (but I think it is called MurderVictims.com). That has always seemed odd to me. Nothing else, anywhere that I have found.

I have seen so many, many crimes featured on places like ID, Forensic Files, ect. that make me wonder about why this has been so terribly ignored. Many things about Sandra as a person, and the uniqueness of certain aspects of the crime itself, make it that much more baffling that no interest has been shown. I am currently writing to some newspaper columnists to get this story out there. The Sgt. I spoke to, who agreed to have the DNA tested, was not working with the Dept. until years after the crime. However, looking back, he did agree that it appears the case had been left in storage. Sandra's mother did tell me in the mid-90's that she had given up trying to call the authorities to see if there had been anything new on her daughters case. I won't repeat the reasons.

Sandra was an undeniably beautiful young woman. A natural beauty. An innocent smile. The amazing thing is, she was the same inside. A rare combination. I know countless examples of her kindness. For others and for animals.

They call him a Person Of Interest. I say POS.

On June 5th, 1987, a beautiful young woman was to celebrate her 26th birthday. In the early morning of her birthday, Sandra Jean Patton was talking to her mother on the phone. She was excited because she was heading to her moms house soon to to go to drive together to the airport. As a birthday gift, her mom was taking her to Hawaii for a week.

Hmmm according to the link she had already celebrated her birthday

The night before Sandy’s vacation, her friends surprised her with a birthday party. The next morning, she was found murdered, on her twenty sixth birthday.

5534479D-6157-4787-A95C-4F96E4E60208.png_zpsxjsjrep7.jpeg

Sandra's mom obituary.

Thanks so much for finding this. I ran searches on the Press Democrat site and found nothing. I admit I am not a good computer person. Also, though the first PI I worked for used to tell me to "never make assumptions", I messed up here. While Esther called me, I never had her phone number and I made an assumption she had passed away when contact ended. I was wrong.
Thanks again.

Sorry. As far as Sandra's brother being a survior, as the obit stated, is something I want to clarify. Esther told me that Sandra's brother had been born with a serious condition that had him living in an in an institution for his entire life, (where his mom and sister visited regularly). When I said she had no family left to speak for her, this is why.

Mother hears daughter's murder over phone...

SEBASTOPOL A woman about to celebrate her birthday and begin a vacation in Hawaii was attacked and killed in her home apparently as she was talking on the phone with her mother, police said. Sonoma County Sheriff's Acting Capt. Rick Oliver said Sandra Patton of Sebastopol was found dead in her country studio cottage Friday, the victim of a brutal beating and sexual assault. Oliver said it is uncertain whether Patton's attacker was someone she knew and let in, or whether it was a forced entry into the cottage. She was to leave for a 10-day vacation in Hawaii on Friday, her 26th birthday. Oliver said the woman apparently was attacked just after 3 a.m., as she was talking on the telephone with her mother, Esther Patton.

http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/70343837/

Cameray, thank you so much. (It looks like I will have to subscribe to see the page), but it was great you posted the article. It is interesting that Santa Cruz seemed to do a better job of reporting.
so...have you made the call or filed the appropriate paperwork to get the dna tested?

Yes.

Yes. It is my understanding that the result of the DNA are not back, but the papers were filed.
I don't believe you
but I don't have to
the courthouse has been closed since you mentioned the dna having not been tested. so unless you hired a lawyer and filed this a.m...?
I don't care if youre so attached to the case that you want to be involved with it on a personal level but lying about the details is unnecessary imo.
it doesn't help the case and it gives folks who are above board in similar situations a bad name.
just my 2 sense

I don't believe you
but I don't have to
the courthouse has been closed since you mentioned the dna having not been tested. so unless you hired a lawyer and filed this a.m...?
I don't care if youre so attached to the case that you want to be involved with it on a personal level but lying about the details is unnecessary imo.
it doesn't help the case and it gives folks who are above board in similar situations a bad name.
just my 2 sense

Interesting. When did I say the papers were filled?? Recently? No. It was explained to me a few weeks ago by the officer in charge of the case that he would handle getting the DNA tested. The court was closed on Christmas and New Years day. My son works there. Did I say I did anything in the past few days? I have not mentioned names and other facts I know for a reason.
While it makes no difference whether you believe me or not, calling me a liar is uncalled for. I brought this case up to get some intelligent feedback. My only vested interest is that someone pays for this crime. I feel that way in any murder. Since this happened within walking distance, yeah, it has drawn my attention more.
Really an uncalled for attack on my integrity.

Interesting. When did I say the papers were filled?? Recently? No. It was explained to me a few weeks ago by the officer in charge of the case that he would handle getting the DNA tested. The court was closed on Christmas and New Years day. My son works there. Did I say I did anything in the past few days? I have not mentioned names and other facts I know for a reason.
While it makes no difference whether you believe me or not, calling me a liar is uncalled for. I brought this case up to get some intelligent feedback. My only vested interest is that someone pays for this crime. I feel that way in any murder. Since this happened within walking distance, yeah, it has drawn my attention more.
Really an uncalled for attack on my integrity.
you replied back to me at 10:14 this morning that "papers" had been filed...
are you currently or as of 12/19/14, a licensed private investigator/yes or no?

I personally don't give a shit if she is licensed or not, tbh. She's giving a voice and fighting for a murder victim who has no one else left. What she's doing is a completely selfless act, in which even an arrest won't benefit her in the least.

I personally don't give a shit if she is licensed or not, tbh. She's giving a voice and fighting for a murder victim who has no one else left. What she's doing is a completely selfless act, in which even an arrest won't benefit her in the least.
did you ever stop and consider I may know something you don't, hence my reason for asking HER?
but since you stated some valiant efforts purportedly made; do you have personal knowledge that this poster has done anything besides ruminate on a crime forum? if not, then I propose it's more likely nothing has been done besides tapping on a computer and your defense is misguided. im not trying to stop anyone's efforts at anything. I just like puzzle pieces to fit.

did you ever stop and consider I may know something you don't, hence my reason for asking HER?
but since you stated some valiant efforts purportedly made; do you have personal knowledge that this poster has done anything besides ruminate on a crime forum? if not, then I propose it's more likely nothing has been done besides tapping on a computer and your defense is misguided. im not trying to stop anyone's efforts at anything. I just like puzzle pieces to fit.
Lovely.
No, I don't have/nor care about ur personal knowledge, or whether she's being truthful about her "purported valiant effort".

But guess what, even putting it on here, in my opinion, and bringing our attention to an old cold case would mean something to this victim and her family. And did u notice the response? Other users going to see what they could find out about her.

So while ur assumption that I took her for her word was incorrect, I was referencing her posting here. This victim's story isn't listed on other crime sites and discussed, so I think this is a good start. Let her sit behind her computer and type away.

Last edited:
Lovely.
No, I don't have/nor care about ur personal knowledge, or whether she's being truthful about her "purported valiant effort".

But guess what, even putting it on here, in my opinion, and bringing our attention to an old cold case would mean something to this victim and her family. And did u notice the response? Other users going to see what they could find out about her.

So while ur assumption that I took her for her word was incorrect, I was referencing her posting here. This victim's story isn't listed on other crime sites and discussed, so I think this is a good start. Let her sit behind her computer and type away.
that's loaded;
where to start...
victim is dead so any outcome is moot for her
as I stated; im not trying to stop anyone's efforts at anything
not caring about her being truthful is a failing on your part-not mine

and since you don't care; why bother invading my" inquest"?

I do care. that's why I'm asking the questions I am asking.

Invaded? :crack:
My apologies. Sincerely. I didn't realize I prevented another member from answering your question, nor that this thread was private between the two of you.
I missed the memo.

Invaded? :crack:
My apologies. Sincerely. I didn't realize I prevented another member from answering your question, nor that this thread was private between the two of you.
I missed the memo.
I could say you missed more than the memo but that might be misconstrued as cheek..
please; carry on. im all for intelligent discourse, even if im the only one having it.
apology accepted

please quote me or I might miss a chance to respond to you in a timely fashion.

as far as I know, you havnt prevented another member from answering my questions so youre alright by me.

that's loaded;
where to start...
victim is dead so any outcome is moot for her
as I stated; im not trying to stop anyone's efforts at anything
not caring about her being truthful is a failing on your part-not mine

and since you don't care; why bother invading my" inquest"?

I do care. that's why I'm asking the questions I am asking.

Wow. " . . . victim is dead so any outcome is moot for her . . . " ???????????????
WTF! Who are you to announce what the "outcome" will or will not be like for me or the victim? I wasn't aware you had been made God. Very sociopathic type thinking. With your rude inferences, your caustic calculated statements and suppositions, I'm done trying to have a conversation with you. Not for the reason you will claim, that you busted me or some other silly nonsense you'll come up with, it is much more simple. Years ago I decided life was too short to waste it trying to talk to pathologically negative people.

Oh, I will answer the question. If you read my Introduction, I said something about how I had worked as a Private Investigator. In remedial grammar perhaps you weren't there when taught past tense.

See, the thing is, at the age of 65, and having had 5 major spine surgeries, I no longer - nor have I ever claimed to have a current license. I have never misrepresented myself to anyone. It is strange and sad so little has been made of this case. I know what motivates me. Go fill yourself with more dark bitterness. I don't care.

Wow. " . . . victim is dead so any outcome is moot for her . . . " ???????????????
WTF! Who are you to announce what the "outcome" will or will not be like for me or the victim? I wasn't aware you had been made God. Very sociopathic type thinking. With your rude inferences, your caustic calculated statements and suppositions, I'm done trying to have a conversation with you. Not for the reason you will claim, that you busted me or some other silly nonsense you'll come up with, it is much more simple. Years ago I decided life was too short to waste it trying to talk to pathologically negative people.

Oh, I will answer the question. If you read my Introduction, I said something about how I had worked as a Private Investigator. In remedial grammar perhaps you weren't there when taught past tense.

See, the thing is, at the age of 65, and having had 5 major spine surgeries, I no longer - nor have I ever claimed to have a current license. I have never misrepresented myself to anyone. It is strange and sad so little has been made of this case. I know what motivates me. Go fill yourself with more dark bitterness. I don't care.
so...I shouldn't respond...or...im in a dilemma here. if you don't want to discuss it..why quote me, even if the quote wasn't in response to a post of yours?

I have never been diagnosed as a sociopath if that is any comfort.

or pathologically anything though I would consider myself to be a ruthless cunt so maybe that is what niggles you. I cant help that, nor would I choose to.

I don't have a belief in the common "god" of Christian belief so my statement about it being moot to the victim as she is dead, stands.

you didn't use any past tense that I see in referring to yourself as a private investigator in this thread...?

anyhoo...be done...you've been done, eh?

if I were motivated, I'd say your interest in the case speaks of classic "revisiting" at worst," csi effect" at best.

if you DO want to discuss it further, feel free openly, in private, with or without me.

discussing anything while completely in your emotional mind will lead to the errors you have made during your chat board postings. I recommend against it for your sake. or for it, for viewer's interest. whichever gives you the outcome you desire.

you didn't use any past tense that I see in referring to yourself as a private investigator in this thread...?

I've followed this thread from its beginning. The above statement only confirms my suspicion that you either haven't read or haven't comprehended what has been written here.

Your bluster amounts to trolling. Your conclusions don't make sense. This may be a result of a lack of context (yours), but so far we only have your insinuation that you know something relevant.

Not a good look.

I've followed this thread from its beginning. The above statement only confirms my suspicion that you either haven't read or haven't comprehended what has been written here.

Your bluster amounts to trolling. Your conclusions don't make sense. This may be a result of a lack of context (yours), but so far we only have your insinuation that you know something relevant.

Not a good look.
this is quoted from the op
" Eventually I became a Private Investigator"

do you see somewhere else that it is represented otherwise?

since one of the rules of the site is no doxing=which I believe means using someone's private info/conversations, I don't really see how I can do other than ask direct questions.

what do you suggest?

this is quoted from the op
" Eventually I became a Private Investigator"

do you see somewhere else that it is represented otherwise?

since one of the rules of the site is no doxing=which I believe means using someone's private info/conversations, I don't really see how I can do other than ask direct questions.

what do you suggest?
Are you saying you know @juliab49 personally, or at least know of her in real life? Do you have some kind of grudge against her? I really don't understand your feelings, here.

Back