• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Whisper

#byefelicia
ay7sdu.jpg

Elizabeth Ferguson​
Parents
[...]
Elementary school say school leaders should have done their homework, after hiring a woman following her arrest for distributing heroin.
36-year old Elizabeth Ferguson was indicted on two felony charges of Distribution of Heroin on September 22nd
[...]
one week later, on September 29th, Ferguson was hired as a first grade teacher
[...]
“I`m mad,”
[...]
grandmother Ernestine Manley. “Nobody ever told me as a grandparent that this actually happened.”
[...]
spokesperson Kelvin Edwards says parents didn’t know because school officials themselves had no idea.

“Did we know about her charges? The answer is no, we did not,”
[...]
That’s because Edwards says in Ferguson’s case, she was hired with a background check pending. Meaning she was teaching before her results
[...]
“It should have never happened. You are careful with the system, why did the system fail that time?”
[..]
stopped by Ferguson’s house Monday and her mother answered the door. She told
[...]
she believes her daughter was innocent and says Ferguson didn’t know there were even charges against her when she applied as a teacher.
[...]
was suspended with pay until Monday morning, which is when she officially resigned.

Edwards says her resignation was immediately accepted.

Parents tell
[...]
she should have never been hired in the first place.

“It’s very scary,” said upset mom Lamanesia Boone.
[...]
says he wouldn’t be surprise if changes in school policy begin at the next school board meeting.

“It’s something we definitely need to look at,” Edwards said. “We can always look at revising policy because there is always an opportunity for improvement.”
[....]
is expected to be back in Suffolk Circuit Court in January.
http://wtkr.com/2014/12/15/woman-indicted-on-heroin-charges-hired-as-first-grade-teacher/

I am apparently in the wrong line of work.It seems as though you can do anything and be put in charge of children.

I don't think the indictment would have shown up on her background check because she has not been tried and convicted.

Anyone else breathe a sigh of relief that it was "just" drug charges and she wasn't indicted on child molestation charges and still able to teach?

Why would a background check take so long? Shouldn't it take one or two weeks normally?

I don't think the indictment would have shown up on her background check because she has not been tried and convicted.
EXACTLY! Can't hold someone accountable for something which has not been proven in a court of law!

EXACTLY! Can't hold someone accountable for something which has not been proven in a court of law!
But I think teachers have to have a perfectly clean record. Teachers have to report anything like this and accept a suspension until charges are proven or disproven.

Or at least that's my understanding of how it works here in PA.

Teachers have to report anything like this and accept a suspension until charges are proven or disproven.[/QUOTE]

Teachers are held up as mandatory reporters incl. their own histories. It's the same way here.

Which brings me to my next several comments/questions. (1) Lots of PD's/SD's make their daily "Arrest Blotters" public information, and, many of these are freely avail. online. Do schools check for these?

(2) Believe me, I know as eff'ed up as it is, LPN's and RN's can be/are freq. hired before they even attempt their first crack at their State Boards to obtain their nsg. licenses, and/or all their background checks are completed (much cheaper starting wage), but it strikes me as plumb scary teachers are being hired pre-crim. bg checks, too, and...

(3) Really mom? Really? "...she didn't know the charges were even against her when applied..."? Did you know a legitimate argument can be made that she knew she was selling and/or F**KING SHOOTING SMACK? (My question is to the codendent, enabling, yet likely loving mother's public statement). I know it's hard, mom, I do, but wake the f**k up to "Tough Love" and put your energy into saving her LIFE. JMO.

Back