• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Whisper

#byefelicia
351afd3.jpg

Alan Catterall, 54, died in an industrial oven he was cleaning at Pyranha Mouldings Ltd. in Dec. 2010.
2mrbhxi.jpg

Catterall's co-workers at Pyranha Mouldings Ltd's warehouse in Runcorn, Cheshire, did not realize that he was trapped until it was too late.​
[...]
British man was horrifically burned alive in an industrial oven after his future son-in-law mistakenly turned it on while he was still working inside,
[...]
Alan Catterall screamed for help as the temperature in the locked kiln soared to a blistering 536 degrees.

The 54-year-old desperately tried to prize the power-locked doors open with a crow bar
[...]
But his cries to be freed tragically went unheard. He suffered severe burns and died from shock.

Workers at Pyranha Mouldings Ltd's warehouse
[...]
only realized he'd been trapped after they saw smoke seeping out from the oven shortly afterwards.

The incident occurred on Dec. 23, 2010. The company is now on trial
[...]
charged with corporate manslaughterThe directors and a self-employed engineer also all face health and safety breach charges.

Prosecutor Andrew Thomas, QC, told
[...]
that Mark Francis, who was engaged to Catterall's eldest daughter Sarah, had fatefully flicked the switch on the oven.
[....]
a fault had developed with the machine on the morning of the accident, but that it was fixed and Francis then turned it back on.
But he had not realized that his future father-in-law was still working inside.

"The design of the oven was such that the moment it was switched on its power-operated doors shut and automatically locked with metal bolts on the outside,"
[....]
"Mr Catterall was trapped within the oven. There was no means of escape and no alarm. The oven is lined with insulation material, and on the noisy factory floor, there was no chance of anyone hearing his cries for help,"
[....]
Managing director Graham Mackereth, 64, from Runcorn, his brother and technical director Peter Mackereth, 59, from Llangollen, Wales, and self-employed electrical engineer Paul Keddie, from Wales, who designed the ovens, all deny health and safety breaches.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/court-hears-man-burned-alive-industrial-oven-article-1.2018762

Dear God. Thats one of the worst ways I can imagine dying. His family probably still has night
mares. My heart goes out to them. Even though this was an accident, the young man will live
with this forever, and probably never forgive himself. How very sad.

You know if I had to clean something that could be turned on while I was in it, I would make sure I put a huge yellow and red caution sign/tape on the freaking "on" button/lever. Absolutely unnecessary this happened and no wonder the company is on trial. Avoidable shit like this drives me insane!

You know if I had to clean something that could be turned on while I was in it, I would make sure I put a huge yellow and red caution sign/tape on the freaking "on" button/lever.
Lockout/tagout does just that. It's a common practice on this side of the Atlantic Ocean.

--Al

These huge ovens should have been designed with safety features installed...like a release or alarm on the inside of the oven. Some way of escape.

A kayak manufacturer has been fined £200,000 after a worker became trapped and died in an industrial oven.

Alan Catterall, 54, tried to escape using a crowbar but suffered severe burns at the Pyranha Mouldings factory in Runcorn, Cheshire, in 2010. He died of shock.

The company was found guilty of corporate manslaughter and two health and safety breaches in January.

At London's High Court, a managing director was also fined £25,000.

Peter Mackereth, 60, managing director, was convicted of health and safety breaches and given a prison sentence of nine months, suspended for two years.

Mr Catterall, the judge said, was "by all accounts the most lovely of men" and "devoted to his family".

Mr MacDuff continued: "At least [the family] are able to understand that their loss was not caused by a deliberate unlawful act; rather it was a result of oversight, negligence, [and] sins of omission."

An escape hatch has been fitted to the oven since the accident.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-32050998

Still no clear indication of whether the wedding went ahead, though I suppose saying that the worker who turned on the oven "was due to marry Mr Catterall's daughter" (cursive added by me) sort of hints that it did not......

Damn. That poor dude. Imagine his fear as he was racing to pry that damn door open before it got too hot. 536 fucking degrees?! What does that even feel like? Ho-ly she-it.

Mr MacDuff continued: "At least [the family] are able to understand that their loss was not caused by a deliberate unlawful act; rather it was a result of oversight, negligence, [and] sins of omission."

Wouldn't make me feel better.

Back