• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

DO YOU AGREE WITH PAY TO PEE

• Total voters

Whisper

#byefelicia
Here @Totemic
A Vancouver, Washington school district has removed a teacher while the school investigates claims that students wet their pants due to that teacher's bathroom policy.
[....]
Third grade students at Mill Plain Elementary earn play money that they can exchange for treats reported. The money can be used to buy things like popcorn or small toys, but it is also used as a bathroom pass.

In two cases last week, children chose to spend money on treats instead of bathroom breaks, and wet themselves because they didn't have enough money for a trip to the restroom,
[...]
The investigation began after
[...]
posted a story in which Jasmine Al-Ayadhi said her 9-year-old daughter, Reem, wet herself in class as a result of the "pay to potty" policy.

"I'm so angry!" Al-Ayadhi told
[...]
"When a child has to pay money to use the bathroom...It's inhumane. That's a health issue."

Al-Ayadi said she didn't have a problem with policies that teach students the value of money, but that making students use it for bathroom breaks was outrageous.

"This is a school," she said. "This isn't a jail. This isn't a prison. We send our kids to school to learn and to get a good education."

After the KATU.com report, a second parent, Merchon Ortega, filed a similar complaint saying that her daughter, Lilliana, also had an accident in the same class on the same day.
[...]
trips to the bathroom under the policy cost $50 in fake money.

"What kid is going to spend money to go to the bathroom?" Merchon said. "No child should have to pay to use the restroom. Are you kidding me? That's absolutely insane."

Evergreen School District spokeswoman Gail Spolar told
[...]
that "pay to potty" is not a school policy. Teachers are left to decide how to keep students accountable for bathroom breaks on their own.

"We're never going to prevent a child who is in an emergency situation from going to the bathroom," Spolar told
[...]
. "We don't want the children to have accidents. We don't want the children to have health and safety issues and so that's part of that investigation is how the procedure is being done."
[...]
Ortega's daughter had the $50 needed to use the bathroom, but didn't want to spend it on a bathroom break. Al-Ayadhi's daughter said she wanted to buy popcorn like her friends, and was told she couldn't use the bathroom if she didn't want to pay.

"It makes me feel kind of horrible in somebody else's pants and undies and I just wanted to stay in my clothes," Lilliana told
[...]
Both Al-Ayadhi and Ortega said they weren't notified about the accidents, and only found out when their daughters came home in different clothes.

The teacher has been replaced with a substitute while the investigation is ongoing. Spolar refused to name the teacher, or give specifics about how long the substitute's stay would be.

Both mothers want the policy stopped and action taken against the teacher.

Do you think "pay to potty" is an appropriate school policy?
[...]
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index....eachers_bathroom_policy_outrages_parents.html

Dumb bitch. No one is going to use the money that they earn when they can use it for treats.

Oh hell no. Children should be given an adequate number of bathroom breaks during the day anyway and if there is an emergency during class time or whenever, they should be allowed to go (as long as they aren't doing it every five minutes to get out of class). Are kids who don't earn enough play money for a bathroom break not allowed to go at all? What about a kid who has a UTI or something and thinks they have to go more often than they really do? Besides which, bathroom breaks are not "rewards", they are necessary to bodily functions. To expect even kids as old as 9 to lump bathroom breaks in with treats like popcorn is just stupid.

Anyone else old enough to remember when a lot of businesses had pay toilets? Hated it then and hate this teacher for her dumb shit.

Anyone else old enough to remember when a lot of businesses had pay toilets? Hated it then and hate this teacher for her dumb shit.
Most bus depots still do. It helps cut down on the transients sticking around or stealing papergoods

Yes, A lot of businesses in Oxnard Ca. still use them. (I am in Minnesota now) When I lived calif. I would ask for a toilet token even when I didn't need to use the bathroom. If my kids were with me, I would have them ask as well. Then when ever I was out and about and see a homeless person I would hand them out.

If I was ever homeless, I would want to use a real bathroom once in a while. I know the businesses don't like that but I did it anyway.

I can see rewarding the kids but why not pay them by how fast they get back, say $50 play money for getting back within 10 minutes and then deducting from the $50 for every minute after that, after 15 go get them and they get nothing and you'll have kids wanting to pee and get back to class, instead of kids pissing themselves in class. Or any variation thereof. The way it was done was stupid! Kids have to pee and they can't all hold it for any amount of time. It was supposed to be encouraging them not demoralizing them.

I can see rewarding the kids but why not pay them by how fast they get back, say $50 play money for getting back within 10 minutes and then deducting from the $50 for every minute after that, after 15 go get them and they get nothing and you'll have kids wanting to pee and get back to class, instead of kids pissing themselves in class. Or any variation thereof. The way it was done was stupid! Kids have to pee and they can't all hold it for any amount of time. It was supposed to be encouraging them not demoralizing them.
Cause you have a brain and think. This teacher doesn't.

Obviously this teacher/person must not have small children at home, my younger son was the king of bathrooms, I think I've visited every bathroom with him in our town and when on drives out of town, we hit a tree every 10 miles and kept a big soda bottles for extreme emergencies, the other one could hold it all day. With kids you learn to think creatively real fast.

UPDATE:
A Vancouver, Wash., teacher who was accused of denying two of her third-grade students a trip to the bathroom because they didn’t have enough play money to pay — a denial that led them to wet their pants in class — will not be punished as a result of one of the investigations

The teacher also began charging $50 for students to use the bathroom, as a means of cutting down of classroom disruptions

But the bathroom fee was supposedly waived during emergency situations, Evergreen Public Schools said in a statement. Local teachers union president Gloria Smith said no child was ever denied the opportunity to use the restroom, The Daily Caller reported.

Yet at least two students felt they couldn’t go, because they didn’t have the full $50 in fake money.

The parents of the girls were outraged, with one saying that her daughter — a size 10 — was given a choice to change into size 7 spandex pants or boy’s shorts, and that she was teased for the remainder of the day

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...eacher-sails-past-one-investig/#ixzz33UQpytom

Yet at least two students felt they couldn’t go, because they didn’t have the full $50 in fake money.
I have a child that we undoubtedly have an accident. He is the sweetest, gentlest, brick wall of a 7 year old and this child is honest as the day is long and I would bet that he would sit there and suffer if he didn't have the full $50 regardless of the waiver of the fee for emergencies. For that reason I say she should still be fired and maybe have to spend a few days walking around with messes in her pants.

I was the kid that always had to pee. I get nervous i have to go. As strange as it sounds this id the bane of my life. I had a massive bull-syke for an 11th grade algebra teacher, and I had to tell her one day in front of the whole class that i was bleeding through my chair, when she had denied my bathroom reqest 4X previouly. A child wouldn't know or be able to speak up that way. I told her she was viloating health code due to blood-borne pathogeens.

Oooooh no, no, no. That would be a teacher's dead ass. School districts may think they're omnipotent, but as a health liason/watchdog for the state, the school nurse could've popped this balloon before it got off the ground, anonymously if need be. Same with the school counselor if they had one. That's who I'd be giving the o_O.

My daughter has kidney reflux and is prone to infections. Had that been my kid, this teacher would have pissed herself by the time I was through with her. Who thinks up this shit? I am amazed at how many teachers choose the profession but seem to dislike kids!

how insane, as already stated any kid is gonna spend money on treats and going to the bathroom is not something they should have had to pay for. If they don't fire this woman
all the parents need to be down the school boards throat

If the teacher really is that dumb she's not fit to teach. I mean, once kids started wetting themselves, did that not make her start questioning the policy? Can she really be that stupid yet manage to have passed her teacher training?

I have a darker suspicion. I suspect that she is actually rather more intelligent than she is being given credit for, but simply takes some kind of pleasure from kids getting so desperate that they wet themselves. There are consenting adults out there into that kind of stuff as a form of sado-masochistic humiliation. I suspect she might have been getting the same sort of kick with these kids, in a scheme very cleverly disguised to look legitimate and misguided, but nothing more.

The fact that children were sent home in different clothes without parents being informed, that some of these clothes resulted in the humiliation of the kids having to wear them, and that the policy continued even after the first wetting is highly suggestive to me of something more sinister than mere stupidity at work.

Maybe I'm wrong - probably am - but even the possibility of it would make me wholly unwilling to let this bitch anywhere near any kids of mine ever again.

I was the kid that always had to pee.

I'm still the person that always has to pee when we go anywhere. These days if they give me shit for that, I like to swear at people. I feel so bad for these kids. It's not like it's a choice.

I heard from female students at my uni that the last few years during internship, they had to go on outings in Egypt, and the male guide would refuse to let them pee during bus trips or excursions because he could hold it so why couldn't they? You were often on the road for 8+ hours so I don't know how he did it. Soon one girl passed out because she was afraid to drink.

It's a good thing he was let go, or we would have had WORDS. Ass. :mooning:

I would like to know what constituted as an "emergency" to this teacher. Most 3rd graders are going to think that rules are rules and aren't going to try to break them.

I would like to know what constituted as an "emergency" to this teacher. Most 3rd graders are going to think that rules are rules and aren't going to try to break them.

Right? Hope the kid that trips and falls smacking his head on a desk on the way down has enough money for a visit to the nurse's office before he bleeds out. "I'm sorry, Johnny, you're NSF." :meh:

Right? Hope the kid that trips and falls smacking his head on a desk on the way down has enough money for a visit to the nurse's office before he bleeds out. "I'm sorry, Johnny, you're NSF." :meh:

If a bathroom break is $50, I'd hate to see what a nurse visit costs! And you can bet your ass none of them bought the health insurance!

Back