• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Whisper

#byefelicia
106lyfd.jpg

Jamie & Sarah Mangus​
[...]
were arrested early Friday in Portland on charges they killed a newborn in April.
Jamie Mangus, 34, and 29-year-old Sarah Mangus were indicted earlier related to the death of Krystal Mangus on April 12.

That day, police received a call for medical help for a baby that wasn’t breathing at a residence
[...]
Homicide detectives were soon called
[...]
The child was born in an apartment somewhere else in North Portland and hadn’t received any medical attention, investigators said. Police told
[...]
the child was not intentionally dumped or left in this neighborhood, but wouldn’t provide any other details.
[...]
grand jury indicted the couple on charges of murder by abuse and first-degree manslaughter. Jamie Mangus has convictions for breaking-and-entering, theft, DUII and telephonic harassment.

The couple was not well known in the neighborhood, and neighbors told
[...]
they’re not sure what exactly happened.

But they voiced their thoughts on what police said happened.

“Thinking of a woman killing her child, not doing anything to help it, not doing anything to take it to a hospital it’s kind of heartbreaking, to be honest,” said Shelby Finnell. “I feel really terrible about that.”

Jack Burgher Jr.
[...]
“It’s sad for the child, it’s sad all the way around. People shouldn’t have children if they don’t want kids.”
[...]
http://koin.com/2014/07/11/portland-couple-charged-in-april-death-of-newborn/

[...]
On April 12, police were called to assist paramedics in the case of a baby who was not breathing. An investigation by homicide detectives determined the little girl named Krystal Mangus had been born in a north Portland apartment and had not received medical attention.
[...]
http://www.oregonherald.com/oregon/local.cfm?id=7094

How sad for this child to come into this world to face two monsters...who are the ones that should have nurtured, loved and protected the most. Rest in peace little one.

They have the whole Meth sunken cheek thing going on. Definitely looks like drugs were involved. Why else would they neglect their child? Poor baby :(

So, she had the baby and cleaned her up and everything?
Or did she have the baby and just leave it sitting on the floor?
I believe women were having babies for centuries without medical assistance. And they didn't regularly take their children to a doctor.
I'm not saying why she did was right, but it wasn't exactly heinous.

My thoughts? She gave birth and just left the baby wherever while she and daddy got high some more. Who the fuck knows with junkies man.

Bill McGuire said he was at the house on North Newman Avenue when the couple brought the baby over.

"They come walking down the street with the baby and brought it inside," McGuire said. "One of my friends said it looked purple. So she took the baby and started doing CPR on it and got the baby revived - just for a short while and then the paramedics got here, and the baby had died again."

He said the couple didn't seem too alarmed about what was happening.

"They were out like they were taking a baby for a walk. ... even though the baby was purple," he said."

http://www.katu.com/news/investigat...wborns-death-earlier-this-year-266800281.html

Were they too drugged-up to notice? Maybe that's the reason for the criminal charges?

Sounds like baby was born at home without medical assistance and they didn't know what they were doing with it. Effed up because of the drug use but is it a crime? Not sure. If there were no drugs involved and they were people who just didn't trust hospitals would that be a crime?

Not trying to shift the blame, just playing devil's advocate.

A little more background on the parents:

The couple was married in 2009 but Jamie filed for divorce in October 2013 while Sarah was pregnant, according to the divorce filing. She was expected to give birth in March, that document said.

Police told KATU that the couple was the parents of the baby, but Jamie claimed in his divorce filing that he was not the father of the child.

A look into the couple's background revealed that Jamie Mangus was convicted of criminal mischief.

In an unrelated case, court documents stated that a woman filed a restraining order against him. In that case, it was alleged that he threatened to break her legs. The restraining order was filed the same month the baby died.

[...]
http://www.katu.com/news/local/Man-...ath-earlier-this-year-266800281.html?mobile=y

So maybe he files for divorce from his wife because she's pregnant by someone else, but then goes back to her after his new girlfriend files a restraining order against him? It just sounds like a hot mess!

Wow. Just look at that SOBs face and see the anger. That fucker looks like he would have beat that poor baby to death the 1st time it cried.

RIP little one.

Could it be that they are both just ignorant? The no hospital thing was probably because of the drugs in the baby's system, but maybe they thought about the good old days when granny popped a baby out and cooked dinner that night. You know, "how hard can it be?" We will know more when they test the baby for cause of death.

She has 5 kids?!?!?! Seriously if they wanted to use meth every fucking day they could have but why didn't she get her tubes tied with the last kid that was taken away :mad:

Court documents outline the 12 hours between the birth and death of a baby girl whose parents are charged with murder, including allegations they used a potato chip bag clip and a hair clip on the umbilical cord and took the baby to several stores and houses without going to the hospital.

[...]

The baby was born at 4:30 a.m. April 12 in a north Portland apartment and died that afternoon.

According to court documents, Sarah Mangus used a clip that is typically used for open bags of chips on the newborn's umbilical cord. The placenta was wrapped in a sleeping bag and left on the kitchen floor.

The suspects said they called Sarah Mangus' mother to give them a ride to the hospital, according to a search warrant affidavit.

The warrant states she was taking a long time, so they went to a convenience store to get soft drinks and doughnuts.

In the store, Sarah Mangus said she brushed the umbilical cord, which was now being held closed with a metal hair clip, causing the baby to cry out, court documents state. Sarah Mangus said she was concerned the umbilical cord is what was causing the baby to be "so fussy."

[...]

Safeway employees were later interviewed by police and described Sarah Mangus as "really tweaked out" and said she was "picking at the baby," according to the search warrant affidavit.

The worker said the baby appeared to be purple or blue in color, so she offered to call 911 for them, but Sarah Mangus declined.

Once they connected with Sarah Mangus' mother, the suspects said she drove them around on "all kinds of crazy errands," including going to the homes of friends, instead of going to the hospital, court records state.

Sarah Mangus' mother told Fox 12 outside the courtroom on Monday that, "My daughter did everything she could to get that baby up to the hospital after it was born. She cleaned it up, had it dressed in clothes and everything. The umbilical cord was clamped off real good."

[...]

Jamie said they wanted to show off their daughter to friends."

[...]

She would later tell police the newborn only had about three-quarters of an ounce of formula since her birth 11 hours earlier and was not taking to efforts to breastfeed.

[...]

Homicide detectives were then called to the scene following the baby's death. A search warrant affidavit states Jamie Mangus was crying and seemed worried about his daughter, but Sarah Mangus was "not as distraught as she would have expected of a mother" and appeared to be on "some kind of drugs."

[...]

asked about a possible cause of the baby's death, court documents state Sarah Mangus quietly replied, "could be because I was using meth."

The child's cause of death was determined to be methamphetamine intoxication and neonatal pneumonia,

[...]

Mangus told police she was a meth user, but said she last used the drug a week before the birth. She admitted to being on Vicodin at the time of questioning, the warrant states.

[...]

Police contacted the Department of Human Services and learned Sarah Mangus had given birth to five other children and none of them were currently in her care. The search warrant affidavit states one baby born in December 2009 was kept in the pediatric intensive care unit for a month after birth due to seizures from withdrawals.

[....]
http://www.kptv.com/story/26036673/disturbing-details-in-newborns-death-led-to-murder-charges

Ummm. Meth had made them retarded. They were so high, they ran around with that baby, like no big deal. And that baby was going through withdrawals. Maybe it was a blessing she passed away. Meth is freaking horrifying.
I'm worried that we are going to see more of this shit show, like in the state that jails mothers who test positive. With minimal treatment centers. Little or no insurance. Mark my words, this is happening.

If I read it correctly, (you never know) they called her mother to take them to the hospital and then diecided to go around to friends instead of to the hospital, now if her mother was drivingthe car why didn't she just drive to the hspital instead of all over the place? Why didn't the store clerk call 911 anyway when she declined when he asked? Not placing any blame on other people cause the parents are strictly the only ones at fault, but why not just do what you thought you ought to do instead of listening to the methed out losers?

Oregon judge sets $5M bail for meth-head mom whose addiction allegedly killed newborn daughter
Judge Henry Kantor fears that mom-of-six Sarah Mangus, 29, will immediately return to drugs or get pregnant again if she is released, despite being charged with the death of newborn Krystal.
2dj7wbc.jpg

Sarah Mangus (left) and husband Jamie Mangus of North Portland, Ore. are the subject of criminal investigation after the death of their newborn daughter, Krystal.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ore-judge-sets-meth-head-mom-bail-5m-article-1.1977697

I am so thankful this judge acted and made the right decision in this case. There should be more judges like him. That poor baby suffered from the moment she was born. Taking her to show her off as she was dying and they knew it. Hopefully she will spend enough years in prison...that she won't be able to breed anymore. I wonder why his bail is so much higher than hers is. Anyone care to give me a clue??

I think it's disgusting for tweakers to call their baby "krystal" in the first place, when the baby is withdrawing from crystal meth.

Heartbreaking story, and I have nothing but disdain and anger for junkies who have let things get so bad that they commit these atrocious acts. I feel bad for being so judgemental - I have mental health issues, and hate reading that I should be sterilized or institutionalized because of that, but my experience with junkies recently and reading stories like this are affecting me.

I want there to be help for people with any addiction issues or mental health issues, first and foremost.

Does anyone know more about just why for some people, the drug abuse gets so bad that they could do something like this? Is the brain so badly affected by long term meth use that they really cannot process situations properly anymore? Lose all empathy?

The woman was coherent enough to tell the police that the baby might have died because she was using meth. So she's with it enough to realise that. One of her previous babies had seizures from withdrawal and would likely have died without medical advice, so she knew her baby would be at severe risk. I imagine they didn't go to hospital because 1. they knew the baby would test positive for drugs and 2. it would be taken away from them like the others. But if she didn't take the baby to hospital because she wanted to keep it, why then apathetically let her die? Show the baby to all her friends so that now a lot of people know she'd given birth, and would know if the baby just vanished? Would the legal consequences of going to hospital and the baby testing positive for meth seem more severe than the legal consequences for letting it die?

I just can't understand their thought processes at all. Even when people commit evil acts, you can usually see what they thought would happen. That they thought if they did this, they'd be able to hide it, or whatever. But I cannot imagine what those two were thinking about while travelling around (more likely buying and using drugs than showing off the baby).

The mother is also disgusting for trying to defend them. "She did everything she could to get that baby to hospital". Just shut the fuck up you evil old witch, you watched your daughter give birth to and lose five children already, one after the other, knew she was using drugs, then fucking drove her around to see people instead of taking the baby to hospital - then have the fucking nerve to try to defend her?? AARRGGHH

I think it's disgusting for tweakers to call their baby "krystal" in the first place, when the baby is withdrawing from crystal meth.
While I absolutely agree, it's possible that they picked the name because it's a beautiful name, in fact possibly the most beautiful name you could pivk for your daughter. But hey, who am I to judge that...;)

OMG the friggin chip clip for an umbilical cord clamp?! I guess the clip kinda looks like the plastic clamp the hospital uses for the umbilical cord? If that's the case, then I wouldn't go over their house for a BBQ- those hot dog tongs do kinda resemble forceps:smuggrin:!

PS: I can't erase the image from my mind that the store clerk described of this bitch 'picking at the baby'--- the same way a meth tweaker 'picks' at their poc marked faces:wtf:!!!

If I read it correctly, (you never know) they called her mother to take them to the hospital and then diecided to go around to friends instead of to the hospital, now if her mother was drivingthe car why didn't she just drive to the hspital instead of all over the place? Why didn't the store clerk call 911 anyway when she declined when he asked? Not placing any blame on other people cause the parents are strictly the only ones at fault, but why not just do what you thought you ought to do instead of listening to the methed out losers?

I disagree... I think Sarah Mangus' mother should have been charged as well. Surely if the employees at the store that our lovely methlettes were at noticed there was something wrong enough to offer to call 911, then her mother must have known that baby needed medical attention when they got in her car, yet she didn't take them to the hospital, despite their claims that they called her specifically to go to the hospital.

And this:

Sarah Mangus' mother told Fox 12 outside the courtroom on Monday that, "My daughter did everything she could to get that baby up to the hospital after it was born. She cleaned it up, had it dressed in clothes and everything. The umbilical cord was clamped off real good."

She saw that baby after store employees described the baby as purple or blue, if you were in her shoes, I'm willing to bet you would have gone straight to the hospital, because that's the right and responsible thing to do... But this woman went on errands and visits and then just never bothered to take them to the hospital at all. IMHO she's morally negligent if not criminally so.

Also whenever I encounter the phrase "real good" as used here, I hear this in my head:

Last edited:
Pssst...@DamagedGoods, I do think we agree, When I wrote "her mother driving" I meant the grandmother that was driving all over the place instead of going to the hospital, no matter what anybody was telling her to do instead of to the hospital. I think the grandmother should be charged too, with child abuse, if nothing else.

Pssst...@DamagedGoods, I do think we agree, When I wrote "her mother driving" I meant the grandmother that was driving all over the place instead of going to the hospital, no matter what anybody was telling her to do instead of to the hospital. I think the grandmother should be charged too, with child abuse, if nothing else.
Ahh... Yup... I reread it and... err.. I plead zombie brain. :confused:

Back