• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
Thanks I might take you up on that, since I have had an event that might have changed my circumstances and I may have already screwed up since it's been nearly 4 months since my husband died.

Thanks I might take you up on that, since I have had an event that might have changed my circumstances and I may have already screwed up since it's been nearly 4 months since my husband died.

Ok, let me know if I can be of any assistance. :)

I can tell you this, at least... even if you missed a Special Enrollment Period, EVERYONE can choose their 2015 plan benefits when the Open Enrollment Period begins. That will start on November 15th of this year. And as long as you enroll by December 15th, your plan would begin as of January 1st.

If you needed something in place sooner than next year, feel free to reply or PM me, and I'll try to help you as much as possible.

Not just for the sake of having been laid off, no. Outside of the annual open enrollment- which begins in November and is when people elect coverage for the following calendar year- she can only enroll if she has a qualifying life event. Just getting laid off doesn't count. If she was losing employer group coverage it'd be a totally different story.

Her change in income could potentially qualify her for a special enrollment period but only if it changes her eligibility for tax credits/subsidies. She could also potentially apply for some sort of a hardship, but both of those routes will take time to be approved and reviewed by the government and are not going to fill any immediate coverage need, nor will they cover any expenses she incurs prior to getting on a plan (assuming, of course, that she's even approved to do so).

Hope this helps. :) I deal with this sort of question every single day, and this healthcare system is a beast! Wouldn't expect a Canadian to be able to understand much even after a quick Google perusal (no offense meant, of course)!

Thanks! And no insult taken!

Back