• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

China

La Mera Mera
azcrh5.jpg
9qy73k.jpg

A Mills police officer faces an animal cruelty charge following the death of a police dog that he allegedly left in a hot patrol car for several hours.

Zachary Miller, who has been with the police department for four years, is charged with misdemeanor animal cruelty in connection with the death of K9 officer Nyx, a drug detection dog.

The officer left the dog in his patrol car for more than six hours while the vehicle was parked outside the police department, according to an investigator's affidavit filed in Natrona County Circuit Court. The car was running, but the air conditioning was off and the windows were up.

“It’s not normal to leave a car running that long,” said Mills police chief Bryon Preciado. “I’m not justifying it. He shouldn’t have been here that long.”

Preciado said there is no policy on the time frame for leaving police dogs in patrol cars.

The affidavit states Miller arrived at the police department at 5:30 a.m. on July 9. Miller left shortly after to respond to a call with the only other officer working that day, Jake Bigelow. The two returned to the police department with Nyx in the vehicle about 6 a.m.

The officers went inside the department, leaving the dog in the car, and did not return to the car until about 12:20 p.m. The outside temperature had gone from 53 to 86 degrees, according to the affidavit.

[...]

During the time the officers were inside Miller was training Bigelow on patrol-duty procedures. Miller is no longer a training officer, Preciado said.

[...]

If convicted, Miller faces a maximum penalty of six months in jail and a $750 fine.

“If he violated the law then he should be held accountable just like anybody else,” Preciado said.

Preciado said Miller will remain employed by the police department, but the officer is currently not on active duty due to paternal leave. Miller was suspended with pay for a week starting the day of Nyx’s death. Miller returned to work following an internal department investigation. The results of the investigation are not being released by the police department.

[...]

The officer who was with Miller that day will not be disciplined, Preciado said.

Preciado said Miller had never faced disciplinary action by the department before this incident. In fact, Miller, characterized as “pro-active”, was awarded "Officer of the Year" by the department in 2013.

Nyx was a 10-year-old black lab who had been with the department since 2006. Miller had been her handler for the past two years, during which Nyx lived with his family and went on family vacations.

[....]

“It’s a tragedy,” said Mills Mayor Marrolyce Wilson.

A plaque or other kind of memorial will be created in the dog’s memory at the police department, Preciado said. Her body was buried on Miller’s property.

“Everyone was hurt by her loss,” Preciado said.

Nyx was the department’s first and only police dog. The department’s K9 program is being suspended while policies are reviewed, Preciado said.

[....]

Preciado said heat alarms will be installed in the K9 patrol car before the department acquires a new police dog. The heat alarms will come with a key fob to be carried by the handler. When their patrol car reaches a temperature that is too extreme, whether too hot or too cold, an alarm will sound.
http://trib.com/news/local/crime-an...cle_08bf5d45-2929-518c-8cb8-048f462a3974.html

That is his partner, The first dog and they kill it. I feel like this guy will suffer with what he did, but I don't get why he didn't just bring the dog in. Its not like a baby where you actually have to do stuff to get them out of a car, with a dog you just have to open the door, no effort required. I am sure the dog liked being in the station. I wonder why no one inside asked where the dog was? Maybe he left the dog in the car all the time?:(

Ok. Those type of dogs cost a shit ton of money. We are talking a few thou. Breeding, training, ect...and like kennasmom said, that dog was his partner. Now Im wondering wtf about him being on paternity leave? Would the dog have presented a problem with the new baby, and he didn't want to lose his status as a canine cop? So this was a solution for him, and the least punitive to his career?

If convicted, Miller faces a maximum penalty of six months in jail and a $750 fine.
I think he should have to pay the department for the cost of the dog. Dogs who do police work cost between 15 and 20 thousand dollars. Usually the money is obtained thru fundraisers, public donations etc. So this dog really belonged to the community. Putting the monetary value aside... That dog suffered badly and his charges were light. By the time the plea bargain is over he will more than likely be fined a tiny amount of money, Do no jail time and still keep his job intact. Keeping his job is what annoys me. If he is that absent minded to forget his dog in the car, he should not be running around with a gun trying to uphold the law and he certainly should not be training other officers.
(the fact that he was awarded officer of the year means nothing given the fact that-that is a tiny police dept.)

actually it cost the tax payers over 40K. And, considering this town and, the majority the people in the surrounding area and, beyond are enraged by how this dog died- he better carry a gun b/c he is going to need it.

The dog cost us tax payers 6K, The cops career. What career? he lost the respect of the community he works for.Never thought about that, maybe he got rid of K-9 Nyx b/c of the baby. whatever it was, somebody will make him pay for it.

That is his partner, The first dog and they kill it. I feel like this guy will suffer with what he did, but I don't get why he didn't just bring the dog in. Its not like a baby where you actually have to do stuff to get them out of a car, with a dog you just have to open the door, no effort required. I am sure the dog liked being in the station. I wonder why no one inside asked where the dog was? Maybe he left the dog in the car all the time?:(
K-9 Officer Nyx, was this stupid cops partner for 2 years.

K-9 Officer Nyx, was this stupid cops partner for 2 years.
Knowing the dogs title makes it so much sadder. Everyone who is decent loves their dog but a service dog and their handler, I imagine that is a whole different thing. He should have treated that dog the same as a human partner:(. He wouldn't have left a criminal in the car that long. I imagine he is feeling a huge amount of guilt and even though for some reason I feel bad for him, he deserves it.

2 years, holy cow, a pet dog becomes part of your life and family after that long, never mind a dog you work with every day.

Knowing the dogs title makes it so much sadder. Everyone who is decent loves their dog but a service dog and their handler, I imagine that is a whole different thing. He should have treated that dog the same as a human partner:(. He wouldn't have left a criminal in the car that long. I imagine he is feeling a huge amount of guilt and even though for some reason I feel bad for him, he deserves it.
K-9 Officer Nyx had 8 years on the police force, cop had 4 years . Officer Nyx, Got busted in rank to dog by the DA .

2 years, holy cow, a pet dog becomes part of your life and family after that long, never mind a dog you work with every day.
my last dog, lived 15 years, 1 month , & 3 days. Two & a half years longer than the Vet expected him to live with cancer & liver disease.

if you feel sorry for the cop, your on a short list. theres so much hate for the cop, the local newspaper wiped out the comments will cover the story & wont let us post comments. How do you leave your partner in your patrol car more than 6 hours, car running, all the windows up & no a/c?

if you feel sorry for the cop, your on a short list. theres so much hate for the cop, the local newspaper wiped out the comments will cover the story & wont let us post comments. How do you leave your partner in your patrol car more than 6 hours, car running, all the windows up & no a/c?
I feel sorry because I have done things to feel guilty about and I know regret....and I can.
Do I think he deserves what he has coming, yes absolutely, do I feel more sorry for the dog, Yes absolutely.

I don't think my car would even run for 6 hours without running out of gas, mind you it is a gas guzzler. That part of the story does make me wonder a bit through.

I feel sorry because I have done things to feel guilty about and I know regret....and I can.
Do I think he deserves what he has coming, yes absolutely, do I feel more sorry for the dog, Yes absolutely.
We all make mistakes, sweetie. that stupid cop was paid to be a handler- its called do your job. your top priority is to K-9 Officer Nyx!She was his partner for 2 years.Now she's at the Rainbow Bridge.If you dont know about it look it up its online

I don't think my car would even run for 6 hours without running out of gas, mind you it is a gas guzzler. That part of the story does make me wonder a bit through.
how about this one.There's a camera outside the cop shop, who's watching the monitor inside, watching K-9 Officer Nyx, die in the back of her handler's Patrol Car? And, this is one of the other questions I wanted answered that got everybody so mad everything is gone now.What is a K-9 handlers duties & responsibilities?

It damned well better be that K-9 sitting in the backseat of that patrol car & not just b/c it cost us tax payers 40 K but b/c she's a life!

I was wondering that also, running the car for so long. 6 hours? Did he *forget* to turn on the ac? I thought those K9s were cops too, and allowed in the cop shops. Why leave him out there for so long, and why didn't he get someone to check on his partner if he was running late on whatever he was doing ? So many weird questions.
And should we be worried if he would do this to his new baby?

It damned well better be that K-9 sitting in the backseat of that patrol car & not just b/c it cost us tax payers 40 K but b/c she's a life!
I posted comments on trib.com asking who was sitting in the cop shop watching K-9 Officer Nyx die in the backseat of her handler's patrol car and, what is a K-9 handler's duties and responsibilities? We all lost our freedom of speech. Still want that answered.Today a seething letter to the editor from a DVM, she went off on all of them, the cop, Mills PD and the DA.Can be found on trib.com letters to the editor.

I was wondering that also, running the car for so long. 6 hours? Did he *forget* to turn on the ac? I thought those K9s were cops too, and allowed in the cop shops. Why leave him out there for so long, and why didn't
yI was wondering that also, running the car for so long. 6 hours? Did he *forget* to turn on the ac? I thought those K9s were cops too, and allowed in the cop shops. Why leave him out there for so long, and why didn't he get someone to check on his partner if he was running late on whatever he was doing ? So many weird questions.

y he get someone to check on his partner if he was running late on whatever he was doing ? So many weird questions.
talked to a really good friend of mine this morning who said he's had prior dealings with this cop and he's an arrogant asshole.I would not want to be his baby, would you? anyway my friend agreed there will be some vigilant

y justice. I forsee this cop pulling somebody over and, that somebody will get justice for K-9 Officer Nyx, she deserved better than she got. people are pissed off and thats not going to help officer stupid a bit. This cop went to Court pled not guilty and asked for a jury trial. Sign me up, I will miss work for that..

I was wondering that also, running the car for so long. 6 hours? Did he *forget* to turn on the ac? I thought those K9s were cops too, and allowed in the cop shops. Why leave him out there for so long, and why didn't he get someone to check on his partner if he was running late on whatever he was doing ? So many weird questions.
K-9 Officer Nyx was allowed in the cop shop and had her own kennel in there.

think the dumb cop will just use the mistake defense.My personal opinion is the dog was 10 years old, a/c was left off on purpose b/c they wanted a new improved model and killing the dog was the best way to do it. they thought people would just accept it they did not expect the wrath.

K-9 Officer Nyx was buried without honors in the cops backyard that tortured and killed her. what the hell is that? the chief right away started talking about a heat sensor in the patrol car that comes with a key fob the officer will carry and another dog.

my theory has been since the story broke.That Officer Nyx was getting old, had a little arthritis, she was slowing down, her eyes just was not as good as they use to be and, they whacked Nyx to get another dog. I would have taken Nyx in and let her enjoy her golden years at my house.

my theory has been since the story broke.That Officer Nyx was getting old, had a little arthritis, she was slowing down, her eyes just was not as good as they use to be and, they whacked Nyx to get another dog. I would have taken Nyx in and let her enjoy her golden years at my house.

I sincerely hope that is not the bald truth.

@dog lover I can see you are passionate about this but when you take a story that is already horribly bad and get sensational about it, it makes the original story kinda pale in comparison, making this in a conspiracy type situation only downplays what has factually happened, don't let you emotions turn this into a lesser thing than what it actually is...just my two cents.

Back