• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Morbid

Rooster Illusion
Staff member

I watched this one over the weekend after waiting on it for a few months. Holy shit, what a great, eye-opening documentary. If you are not able to catch it in theaters, I implore you to watch it whenever it gets a home release.

I've never liked SeaWorld (or any venue that involves animals trained to perform) but now I absolutely hate them. The documentary got to me in such a strange way, that I have admittedly decided to become in involved with groups that have been trying to stop them from keeping Orcas.

Those who know me know that I am not a card-carrying animal lover - but what SeaWorld has been doing with these whales for all these years is obscene and, in my eyes, criminal. If you watched the movie and would like more information, check out this person's site:

http://theorcaproject.wordpress.com/killer-whale-orca-marine-parks/seaworld/

Last edited:
i watched part of it. it made me cry - and i have no tear ducts or heart. you can get certain parts on youtube. one link said it was the entire movie, but it's not.

The scene about separating mothers from their calves was HEARTBREAKING.

Also, I don't think they pointed this out in the film, but I Googled - one of the mothers whose calves were taken away later tried to drown a trainer (she's the one who kept pulling him down to the bottom by his feet). I try not to assign human emotions to animals, but it's hard to imagine that she wasn't thinking of it as retribution.

The scene about separating mothers from their calves was HEARTBREAKING

I keep catching the second half of it. it's not on demand so i can at least be thankful I haven't had to endure watching that part, but overall I agree it's absolutely criminal, and I will NEVER go to Sea World again.

This was posted right b4 we got the new forums right? Cause I know good and damned well that I commented on this! After I watched the trailer I didn't wanna go to sea world again. I can only imagine what the movie would do to me ..

Wow. We used to be all about sea world and bush gardens.. no more. I usually shield my little ones from shit, but i'm showing them this. This is family movie night material.

It's in the Google Play Store. I just bought it from there.

Last edited:
Finally, consequences to their actions.

[...]

Shares of the theme-park operator — home to beloved killer whale Shamu — tanked more than 34 percent Wednesday after the company slashed its full-year forecast and second-quarter results fell far short of expectations.

SeaWorld, owned by the private-equity giant Blackstone, said attendance at its parks has been hurt by the debate over its treatment of captive orcas.

Attendance at its namesake parks plus two Busch Gardens locations rose a paltry 0.3 percent to 6.6 million compared to the same period a year ago. Attendance in the second quarter last year, however, declined 9 percent.

“The company believes attendance in the quarter was impacted by demand pressures related to recent media attention surrounding proposed legislation in the state of California,” chief executive Jim Atchison said in a statement.

[...]

That message was hammered home in last year’s “Blackfish.” In October, millions watched the controversial documentary on CNN, which focused on Tilikum and the death of trainer Dawn Brancheau in 2010.

The film led a California state lawmaker to introduce a bill in April that would ban the use of orcas for public performances at the parks.

Last month, Southwest Airlines ended its long-running promotional partnership with the parks, which began in 1988, because of the backlash over “Blackfish.”

[...]

SeaWorld said Wednesday it now expects revenue this year to fall 6 to 7 percent, while its previous forecast called for a slight increase.

The shares were down 34 percent, or $9.61, to $18.54 at 2 p.m. in New York trading.
http://nypost.com/2014/08/13/seaworld-is-getting-that-sinking-feeling/

Its been on Netflix streaming for awhile now. Its in my queue, but I haven't been able to bring myself to watch it yet.

Sea World won't survive this. They're claiming they're going to rebuild and make the tanks 2x the size, but that's way too little way too late. The whole point is to not see a whale in a tank, and Sea World doesn't seem to get that.

I watched a documentary about the intelligence of killer whales that was just amazing, I don't see how anyone could still think having these creatures in captivity is OK. Animals that can move thousands and thousands of miles in a month's time, and you put them in a tank?

I watched a documentary about the intelligence of killer whales that was just amazing, I don't see how anyone could still think having these creatures in captivity is OK. Animals that can move thousands and thousands of miles in a month's time, and you put them in a tank?

In all fairness, I think people underestimate the intelligence of animals in general.

I fucking hate Sea World. Those newer commercials with vets saying how much they love animals really pisses me off.

Its been on Netflix streaming for awhile now. Its in my queue, but I haven't been able to bring myself to watch it yet.

I waited a long time, because I was afraid of what I'd see. I was glad when I finally did watch it and you might consider going ahead and trying it. :)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...whale-tilikums-health-deteriorating/81477024/

unintentionally drowned his trainer at Seaworld back in 2010. This week it has been reported that his health is failing him. USA TODAY

Tilikum, the SeaWorld killer whale whose troubles are chronicled in the 2013 documentary Blackfish, is suffering from a bacterial infection in his lungs, SeaWorld said Tuesday.

The massive killer whale has become “increasingly lethargic” and veterinary teams at the park believe his health is “beginning to deteriorate." Veterinarianshave been treating the infection with antibiotics, but the suspected bacteria are resistant to treatment, according to SeaWorld.

The whale, known for his collapsed dorsal fin, was linked to the death of his trainer Dawn Brancheau in 2010, as well as two other deaths. Blackfishquestioned the ethics of keeping killer whales, which are highly intelligent and social animals, in captivity.

According to former trainers and experts interviewed in the film, killer whales can become depressed and aggressive toward humans and each other after being kept in small spaces for their entire lives.

Since the release of Blackfish, SeaWorld has been under intense pressure to end killer whale shows in its parks. Amid mounting regulatory and public pressure the company announced in 2015 it would end the killer whale shows at its San Diego park.

The People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) tweeted on Tuesday that SeaWorld should "move the orcas to sanctuaries, where they could enjoy a more natural life."

It's well documented that PETA has stolen and murdered peoples pet dogs for no good reason. THey're a scummy shit organization.

I try not to assign human emotions to animals

Killer whales exhibit what commonly are thought of as only human emotions. Scientifically documented/researched fact. Def the most intelligent animal, they're amazing.

Anyways, must watch documentary. Disgusting it took something like this to turn public against shitworld. SHoudl be obvious to anyone with a brain that these huge animals shouldn't be kept in captivity like this, with or wthout a documentary showcasing the outright abuse and dangerous conditions that captivity brings with it.

What gets me is how cold and callous shitworld is not just to the animals, but to these poor trainers. I was shocked by the documentarys revelation that thse trainers have no educational background or specialized training with the animals. I always ifgured these were marine biologists and whale experts and shit interacting with the animals. Nope. Just random fuckers. ANd then shitworld doesn't tell them about the violent history of some of the whales they were working with. It's mindblowing. Some asswipes will say, "fuck it, i want to see killer whales" or "yeah it might not be the best environment but by letting the public see them it raises awareness so the ones in the wild will do better". THey rationalize it some way some how. But how do you rationalize it when human life is also so callously disregarded and disrespected? It's not just an issue of shitworld mistreating animals. Their negligence has led to multiple injuries and deaths. I don't grasp how they've escaped criminal prosecution or have a penny left after lawsuits.

Back