• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
WXIA-TV/11 live says the nurses didn't surrender their licenses until this September, after it sent The Georgia Board of Nursing a link to the video the nursing home fought three years to keep secret.

And now, it has been shared publicly.

The newly-released video includes the deposition in court on November 23, 2015.

The video was played to the courtroom as the family's lawyer Mike Prieto questioned former nursing supervisor Wanda Nuckles.

Before playing the video, Nuckles tells the court nurses were giving Dempsey CPR repeatedly until the emergency services arrived. As the video rolls, the courtroom sees that did not happen.

The video starts with Dempsey, a decorated soldier, repeatedly calling for help, saying he can't breathe. He also presses the call light, which flashes on at 4.35am. He then appears to start losing consciousness.

A nurse does not appear until 4.42am, at which point she readjusts the bed, turns off the call light, and leaves, as Dempsey struggles for air.

Prieto asks Nuckles if that is an acceptable period of time, to which she responds 'nope'. He asks if Dempsey appears to be gasping for air, to which she responds, 'yep'.

'How does it make you feel watching this video?' the lawyer asks. 'Sick,' Nuckles replies.

The video then cuts to 6.23pm, when Nuckles and another nurse enter the room. They fix his blanket and adjust his bed as Dempsey lies motionless.

Prieto says to Nuckles: 'Contrary to the way you testified previously, there's no one doing CPR, is there?' Nuckles replies: 'No.'

They watch on. Another nurse enters, and all three stand around the bed talking.

At 6.30pm, as they try unsuccessfully to restart the oxygen machine and Dempsey takes his final breaths, the three appear to be laughing - with one of the nurses doubled over laughing.

In the courtroom, Prieto stops the tape and asks Nuckles: 'Ma'am was there something funny happening at 6.30am on February 27, 2014 in the middle of this attempt to resuscitate Mr Dempsey?'

Nuckles replies: 'I have no clue sir, I have no clue. I can't even remember all that, as you can see.'

Prieto asks: 'Do you see any sense of urgency on the part of any of the medical providers here ma'am? Including yourself?'

Nuckles replies: 'I think I was doing pretty good considering I didn't have anything good to work with.'

Prieto says: 'Ok well when you testified earlier that you walked in and started giving CPR until the EMTs showed up, that wasn't really the truth was it?'

Nuckles replies: 'Sir that was an honest mistake because I was just basing everything on what I normally do.'

The video continues showing all nurses leaving, with Nuckles remaining. She adjusts his bed, and fixes a breathing machine onto Dempsey's face. She then performs six chest compressions then stops.

'Any reasons to stop after six chest compressions there ma'am?' Prieto asks.

'Not that I know of,' Nuckles says.

It is illegal in Georgia to install a hidden camera in a nursing home without prior consent from the nurses and the establishment. However, the revelations from the footage absolved Dempsey's family of charges.

Speaking to Channel 2, Tim Dempsey said he had assumed his father's suspicions were over-the-top.

'We would have just thought it was natural causes and everything was done that should have been done and he passed away in his sleep,' Tim Dempsey told Channel 2's Rachel Stockman.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...o-shows-nurses-laughing-89-year-old-dies.html

They should do more than lose their jobs.

Medical negligence, negligent homicide, maybe even murder charges...

So much for nurses being compassionate. Since it doesn't seem like any charges are coming of this I hope this family takes these nurses to court and they get some compensation for their negligence.

So much for nurses being compassionate. Since it doesn't seem like any charges are coming of this I hope this family takes these nurses to court and they get some compensation for their negligence.

AND they never work in the field again. People who care so little about their charges should not be providing health care in any way, shape or form, especially to vulnerable individuals.

It is illegal in Georgia to install a hidden camera in a nursing home without prior consent from the nurses and the establishment. However, the revelations from the footage absolved Dempsey's family of charges.

They could've had a notice on the fucking door, and it wouldn't have made any difference. The cruel bitches who were abusing residents at the shit hole my mother was in did it anyway in a room with a sign over the door that said the room was under video surveillance. People who would entertain the thought of abusing the vulnerable don't seem to be able to control themselves.

February 21, 2018

A grand jury has indicted two nurses and an aide on numerous charges, including felony murder in one case, in the death of an elderly patient who slowly died in front of them.

In November, the Brookhaven Police Department launched a criminal investigation into 89-year-old James Dempsey’s death after an 11Alive Investigation uncovered hidden camera video and court depositions of nursing home staff who responded to the World War II veteran.

It happened at Northeast Atlanta Health and Rehabilitation in 2014. 11Alive obtained both videos in 2017 through public records requests after the family filed a lawsuit.

The video showed Dempsey repeatedly calling out for help as he suffered in respiratory distress. After his calls, Dempsey became unresponsive.

On Wednesday, charges were announced.

Former licensed nurse practitioner Loyce Pickquet Agyeman, of Snellville, is charged with Felony Murder and Neglect to an Elder Person. Wanda Nuckles of Buford, also a former LPN, is charged with Depriving an Elder Person of Essential Services, while Mable Turman, a certified nurse assistant from College Park, is charged with Neglect to an Elder Person. All three women were also indicted on a single count of Concealing the Death of Another in the five-count indictment returned by Grand Jurors Tuesday afternoon.
http://www.12newsnow.com/article/ne...hing-as-veteran-gasps-for-breath/85-521577537

http://www.wfaa.com/news/murder-cha...ing-while-veteran-gasped-for-breath/521649770
DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. -- A grand jury has indicted two nurses and an aide on numerous charges, including felony murder in one case, in the death of an elderly patient who slowly died in front of them.

In November, the Brookhaven Police Department launched a criminal investigation into 89-year-old James Dempsey’s death after an 11Alive Investigation uncovered hidden camera video and court depositions of nursing home staff who responded to the World War II veteran.
Failing%20Mr%20Dempsey%20Andy%20Monday%20Teaze%20USE%20THIS%20ONE.mp4.00_00_28_13.Still001_1510346453543_11675786_ver1.0.jpg

The video showed Dempsey repeatedly calling out for help as he suffered in respiratory distress. After his calls, Dempsey became unresponsive.
[....]
Former licensed practical nurse (LPN) Loyce Pickquet Agyeman, of Snellville, Georgia is charged with Felony Murder and Neglect to an Elder Person. Wanda Nuckles of Buford, also a former LPN, is charged with Depriving an Elder Person of Essential Services, while Mable Turman, a certified nurse assistant from College Park, is charged with Neglect to an Elder Person. All three women were also indicted on a single count of Concealing the Death of Another in the five-count indictment returned by Grand Jurors Tuesday afternoon.

After the indictment, warrants were issued for the arrest of Agyeman, Nuckles and Turman.
[....]
The case will be prosecuted by the District Attorney’s Elder Abuse and Exploitation Unit. A trial date has not been set.
[....]
Still1118_00000_1511021859528_11731597_ver1.0.jpg

Speaking to Channel 2, Tim Dempsey said he had assumed his father's suspicions were over-the-top.

'We would have just thought it was natural causes and everything was done that should have been done and he passed away in his sleep,' Tim Dempsey told Channel 2's Rachel Stockman.

Ugh, this part breaks my heart. He told his family he wasn't being treated well, and they just assumed he was exaggerating and left him in there.

Hindsight is 20/20 of course but I am imagining how helpless and trapped the victim must have felt. He reported his fears and nothing was done that kept him from this outcome. :(

This is why we keep my Mother at home. I don't trust those so called caregivers. They shove pureed food down their throats as fast as possible, don't check on the patients for hours...I've seen it first hand.

If you are a caring caregiver...ignore this post.
I agree, when I was doing my first year RN clinical there were a few older nurses that were fucking horrid. Appalling. Didn't give any respect to the clients, didn't cover them properly, thing after thing, I just couldn't believe it. And there's no excuse, if you're burned out, get a new fucking job.

In 2014 (some but no me) people got all up in arms about Dennis McGuire gasping on the execution table for 4 minutes after he raped and slit the throat of a 22 y/o girl who was 30 weeks pregnant, they called it a "cruel and unusual" (I called it a "almost fitting but lacked him being raped right before") death. Then these bitches get charged with elder abuse and concealing a death for letting a man gasp for air for about 2 hours, takes a cold evil person to watch someone beg for help for hours and laugh next to his death bed and not pick up a phone when the oxygen machine isn't working. Sound like negligent homicide/manslaughter to me.

link to the McGuire thing incase you wanna read----> http://murderpedia.org/male.M/m1/mcguire-dennis.htm

Crucial evidence used to charge three Georgia women for their involvement in a veteran’s death is in legal limbo.

The evidence includes hidden camera video showing nursing staff ignoring 89-year-old James Dempsey begging for help as he slowly died inside an Atlanta area nursing home in 2014.

According to DeKalb County court records, Dempsey’s son put the camera inside the room with the World War II veteran’s permission after he complained about poor treatment from staff.

After 11Alive aired the hidden camera video and video depositions from the nurses in November 2017, the Brookhaven Police Department opened an investigation.

In 2018, a DeKalb County grand jury indicted nurse Loyce Agyeman with felony murder. Nursing assistant Mable Turman and nurse Wanda Nuckles were charged with numerous crimes including trying to conceal Dempsey’s death.

Fifteen months later, The Reveal investigative team has learned the trial is on hold, and the video used to charge the three nursing staff could be in jeopardy.

Defense attorneys for the accused women argue the hidden camera video was recorded illegally. This past spring, the Georgia Court of Appeals agreed to hear the case and it could potentially rule the video cannot be used in court.

Latonia Hines is the assistant solicitor in Cobb County and not affiliated with the case. She said Georgia law prohibits anyone from recording hidden camera video in a private place.

“So, [what] the defense attorneys are saying is that their clients had an expectation of privacy and, having that expectation of privacy, that they couldn’t have been videotaped without their consent,” said Hines.

If defense attorneys are successful in suppressing the video, Hines said it will be nearly impossible for the DeKalb County District Attorney’s Office to move forward with a trial.

“It’s absolutely massive against the state,” said Hines. “As DA Boston said in one of her own interviews, without that video, they don’t have a case.”

Hines said it’s not that cut and dry. The law has exceptions. Use for security purposes is one of them. For example, if a home security camera catches someone stealing an Amazon package from your doorstep, Hines said there’s no expectation of privacy.

“And, if there was somebody to have some kind of expectation of privacy, it would have been Mr. Dempsey because he was sort of renting that room,” said Hines.

State Representative Demetrius Douglas believes the trial delays could have been prevented. Over the past three years, the Stockbridge Democrat has tried to pass legislation that would require nursing homes to allow families to install cameras in their loved-ones' rooms.

Most facilities won’t allow it.. depends how much money you are bringing to the facility.. on the same foot when you are hired you sign you realize that all actions are subject to recording.. called cover their asses

The courts need to make an exception and allow these videos to be shown to the jury. Failure to do so, knowing the state would not have a case otherwise, would be equal to condoning abuse or murder of the disabled/elderly. Nursing homes in all states should be required to allow families to install video surveillance cameras. Ideally, the nursing home industry should be required to install video surveillance cameras themselves, with access to such by patient families upon request. Of course, rates would have to go up for them to recoup the costs of installation so it's a tough situation.

DeKalb County District Attorney Sherry Boston announces convictions by guilty plea in connection with the negligent death of an elderly nursing home patient in Brookhaven at the hands of two nurses and an aide charged with his care.
67-year-old Loyce Pickquet Agyeman, a former Licensed Nurse Practitioner (LPN) pleaded guilty to Involuntary Manslaughter, Neglect to an Elder Person, and Concealing the Death of Another. She was sentenced to eight years in prison.
Wanda Nuckles, 65, also a former LPN, pleaded guilty on Wednesday, March 16, to a single count of Concealing the Death of Another. She was sentenced to a year in prison. Both women were scheduled for trial next week.
Mable Turman, 66, who served as a Certified Nurse Assistant, pleaded guilty in February to charges of Neglect to an Elder Person and Concealing the Death of Another and was subsequently sentenced to five years’ probation, as the least culpable of the defendants.

The charges against the women stem from the Feb. 27, 2014 death of 89-year-old James Dempsey, a patient in their care at Northeast Atlanta Rehabilitation Center in Brookhaven. The investigation revealed that the Defendants, in varying degrees, failed to provide timely and necessary medical assistance, ultimately resulting in Mr. Dempsey’s death.

Hidden video surveillance placed in the room by the victim’s family shows the patient suffering in respiratory distress and repeatedly calling out for help throughout the night. He complained his chest hurt and that he couldn’t breathe. Defendant Agyeman ignored his pleas, telling the patient there was nothing wrong with his heart and to stop pushing the call button for assistance. She then left the room.

When Dempsey called for help again, Turman, an aide, arrived 24 minutes later. After realizing the victim was unresponsive, she went to seek assistance from Agyeman. They both returned to the room and did not attempt to revive Dempsey, nor did Nuckles upon her arrival to the room. Nearly an hour after the victim stopped breathing, Agyeman and Nuckles began performing CPR in apparent ruse for the emergency service personnel who were just arriving, according to the District Attorney’s Office.

The video surveillance of the incident was made public in November 2017 via a television broadcast following a civil lawsuit by the victim’s family, prompting a joint investigation between law enforcement and the District Attorney’s Office.

“This is a landmark case for the State of Georgia and for DeKalb County,” said District Attorney Sherry Boston. “As a result of this case, the Georgia Supreme Court has ruled that families have a right to install video recording equipment in their loved one’s nursing home spaces. It is an important precedent for victims’ rights and safety. We are pleased that these defendants have accepted responsibility for their callous disregard of Mr. Dempsey’s pain and suffering, which unfortunately led to his death. We hope these pleas send a message to nursing home employees to treat their patients with dignity and respect, and we hope the resolution of this case will provide some measure of comfort and closure for his family.”

Agyeman was ordered to turn herself in to the DeKalb County Jail by noon on March 31 to begin serving her sentence. Nuckles must report to the jail by April 1 to begin her term.

Back