• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
On Feb. 8, Darius Brown had one of the biggest days of his life: At just 11 years old, he was debuting his designs on a pup named Crosby who would walk the runway of the New York Pet Fashion Show, the largest animal-couture and pet-rescue benefit in the world.

Not bad for a a fifth-grader.

“I just love, love dogs,” Darius, who lives in Newark, NJ, and has his own puppy-bow-tie company, Beaux and Paws, told The Post. “I’m here so I can help Crosby look good and find a forever home.”

Darius donates his designs to shelters throughout New York and New Jersey.

“These dogs need to be adopted, and I wanna help them get noticed,” said Darius. The shelter pooches wear his ties for special events and adoption days, as well as for photos taken for adoption boards.

Darius started making bow ties when he was 8. His older sister, Dazhai, a hair-and-makeup artist, needed help making bows, so she had her brother cut the fabric, to help develop his fine motor skills. Soon, “he was making the bows better than [Dazhai] was,” said the duo’s mom, Joy, who works in health care.

Last year, after seeing how Hurricanes Irma and Harvey ravaged parts of the US and left many dogs needing new homes, Darius began donating his Beaux and Paws (the “-eaux” spelling looks dapper and classy, he explained) ties to shelters.

“I just wanted to help them and make them feel safe and find them forever homes,” said Darius, who would cry when seeing the abandoned animals on TV.

He hopes to expand his business beyond accessories to include outfits. “I want to be an entrepreneur like my sister,” he said, calling Dazhai, 20, his “inspiration.”

His goal, besides getting as many animals adopted as possible? Trying to get his mom over her lifelong fear of dogs, so that he can one day adopt one of his own.

“Me and my sister are convincing her,” he said. “She still doesn’t like big dogs, but now she likes little dogs.”
https://nypost.com/2018/02/17/this-kid-makes-shelter-puppies-look-fabulous/
getimage.aspx

August 8, 2023
1701261563454.png

Sir Darius Brown is committed to helping rescue pets stand out and find forever homes. Since 2017 he has been creating bowties for cats and dogs in shelters to get the pets noticed by potential adopters.
"It was because of Hurricane Irma. I saw all the devastation happening, and I knew I wanted to help," Brown, 16, tells PEOPLE.
After his first batch of donated bowties had a "great effect" on the shelter pet recipentents' adoption rate, Brown dedicated himself to helping rescue animals.

"That's when I decided to make it my mission to help as many dogs and cats around the world as I possibly can," he says.
Beaux & Paws, the teen's pet accessories and lifestyle brand, donates a bowtie to a shelter animal for each bowtie purchased. Brown also has his PAW-SOME Mission, his effort to raise money and awareness for shelter animals through social media – which has generated more than $300,000 in donations to date.
Now, the teen has found another way to help adoptable pets. He has teamed up with NBCUniversal Local's Clear the Shelters campaign as an ambassador and Hill's Pet Nutrition as a shelter advocate. Both roles are dedicated to helping rescue cats, and dogs find families, especially during the Clear the Shelters initiative, which runs until the end of August.

Continue reading at link

Back