• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Whisper

#byefelicia
rj1ox4.jpg

In a June murder-suicide, Ethan Austin, 12, shot his 16-year-old stepsister, Kaitlin, multiple times before he turned the gun on himself​
[...]
12-year-old Washington Boy Scout shot and killed his teen sister with his father's handgun before he turned the weapon on himself
[...]
Benton County officials ruled the June deaths of stepsiblings Ethan and Kaitlin Austin a murder-suicide Friday
[...]
Police do not know the boy's motive.
Drew Austin — Ethan's dad and Kaitlin's stepfather — found the two children dead in Kaitlin's bedroom on June 9. The 16-year-old softball star suffered multiple gunshot wounds to her torso and head, while her little brother was found with a single bullet wound to his head,
[...]
Ethan, who was an avid hunter and a Boy Scout, used his father's handgun to kill his sister and then himself, officials said. The weapon was kept in a family's safe that the 6th-grader had access to.
The boy frequently went on hunting trips with his dad and was allowed to handle guns under his parents' supervision
[...]
Ethan did not have any known mental health issues, the family's lawyer, Scott Johnson,
[...]
Police do not believe the siblings were fighting or that the attack was premeditated. The children did not have drugs or alcohol in their systems, toxicology reports
[..]
"No motive and no reason would never fully explain what happened. You have a young mother and father who are very nice people, and they had two kids who were very nice kids," Johnson said.
ew Austin — Ethan's dad and Kaitlin's stepfather — found the two children dead in Kaitlin's bedroom on June 9. The 16-year-old softball star suffered multiple gunshot wounds to her torso and head, while her little brother was found with a single bullet wound to his head[...]
Ethan, who was an avid hunter and a Boy Scout, used his father's handgun to kill his sister and then himself
[...]
The weapon was kept in a family's safe that the 6th-grader had access to.
The boy frequently went on hunting trips with his dad and was allowed to handle guns under his parents' supervision.
[...]
Ethan did not have any known mental health issues, the family's lawyer, Scott Johnson,
[...]
Police do not believe the siblings were fighting or that the attack was premeditated. The children did not have drugs or alcohol in their systems, toxicology reports revealed.

"No motive and no reason would never fully explain what happened. You have a young mother and father who are very nice people, and they had two kids who were very nice kids,
[...]
Kaitlin was a junior at Kamiakin High School and a pitcher for its state championship softball team.

"(She) was a beautiful, happy young lady, always with a smile on her face," the family wrote in a statement after her death. "She was smart and loved to challenge herself both athletically and in the classroom."

Ethan loved spending time with his dad and had a "caring and loving heart,"
[...]
Both children are survived by their parents, Cyndi and Drew, and their sister, Rachel.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...sister-murder-suicide-cops-article-1.1971007#
96as0z.jpg
15qd9uh.jpg

The 6th-grader was an avid outdoorsman who loved hunting with his dad.
21maskm.jpg

Ethan did not have any known mental health issues, the family's lawyer said.​

I think that the family is keeping mum about the underlying personal problems between these two. In the absence of any overt mental health issues, it has to be personal.

It must be that they were fighting, I can see it, I have a bunch of younger siblings and we were always fighting about something, generally it was just the one brother who kept somehting going all the time, he loved drama then and loves it now, just different kind of drama, now it's baby mama drama. I was hoping it was an accident but shooting her multiple times makes that not reasonable. It really sounds like he was raging about something and then was immediately sorry but he couldn't take it back.

I think that the family is keeping mum about the underlying personal problems between these two. In the absence of any overt mental health issues, it has to be personal.
it's seriously screwed up my neighbor has let his grandson have access to guns and he's about 8/10 and I feel that's stupid: on top of him shooting birds [though he's been told not to] there's no doubt in my mind he's also maybe taking potshots at other animals and am hopin he don't do that to my tom otherwise we will have issues

it's seriously screwed up my neighbor has let his grandson have access to guns and he's about 8/10 and I feel that's stupid: on top of him shooting birds [though he's been told not to] there's no doubt in my mind he's also maybe taking potshots at other animals and am hopin he don't do that to my tom otherwise we will have issues

Your neighbor is an idiot. You NEVER turn someone loose with a firearm without proper training. The age isn't an issue. I was properly taught at an early age and I've never shot(or shot at) an animal for sport, much less a civilian.

my son had a BB gun when he was 12yo
for shooting cans etc
he was told he wasnt to touch unless we were there
one day after school a few friends came home with him
he was showing the BB gun
went outside showing off and shot out neighbors kitchen window
hubby came home
found out and took BB gun, welded the end of it shut
problem solved

Kid looks like he was a fucking nerd. Hopefully his short life was full of lots of bullies teasing him and making his life hell.

I too believe this was personal. Accidental would have been one shot. The boy shot his step sister 3 times. I'm pretty sure it was impulsive and not planned. He couldn't change what he did and took his own life in his anguish over killing her. I'm sure there were underlying issues that the parents may not have been aware of. This is so sad.

From the looks of it he wanted her dead. Multiple shots to torso & head. The question is why.
All's too quiet from the family, and no motive. Had he been a bit older I might have entertained the possibility he may have been in love with her, but that's just my mind wandering.

At any rate this is incredibly sad, tragic, two seemingly good kids gone for unknown reasons. May they RIP.

From the looks of it he wanted her dead. Multiple shots to torso & head. The question is why.
All's too quiet from the family, and no motive. Had he been a bit older I might have entertained the possibility he may have been in love with her, but that's just my mind wandering.

At any rate this is incredibly sad, tragic, two seemingly good kids gone for unknown reasons. May they RIP.
I actually did entertain the thought that the brother may have been infatuated with the older sister and was having feelings that were confusing him...both sexual and emotional. He may somehow have blamed her for his feelings...who knows with tweens! Not saying this is what happened...just another thought to add to many

The keeping mum on underlying mental health problems...its willful...the view you have when your head is shoved up your ass is safe and beautiful.

Bumping this up because I was watching HBO's Requiem for the Dead and this case came up.

As some of you already suspected, the crime laboratory report states that the girl was sexually assaulted. Seems everyone is hellbent on keeping that quiet. I feel for the parents but I do wonder if there were some serious warning signs missed here, especially since the boy's girlfriend said the kid was obsessed with guns too. Sad.

A 12 year old obsessed with guns who raped his older step-sister... kinda glad he at least isn't going to be around in the future.

Last edited:
During the weekend, Ethan had a sleepover with a friend, rode bikes through his neighborhood and watched his sister play softball the night before the shooting.

[...]

Something changed by Monday, the day of the shooting, as friends reported that the usually social Ethan was different at Desert Hills Middle School. It appeared he was withdrawn and troubled by something.

However, Ethan — who reportedly got angry easily and had Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) — did not mention to friends that he was upset or depressed, police reports said.

“(A classmate) stated that on Monday he could see in Ethan’s eyes that something was really bothering him,” a Kennewick police detective wrote. “(The friend) stated Ethan was either really tired or something happened.”

An adult neighbor even noticed something was different with Ethan as he walked from the bus stop to his Hansen Park home after school, police reports said. The smile he usually flashed was gone and it seemed like something was wrong.

The woman told police Ethan partially waved at her and his “visible outward mood was so different.”

Not long after Ethan came home, he got a 9mm pistol from a case in his parents’ room and shot Kaitlin, who had arrived home shortly before. Evidence suggested shots were fired from a hallway and inside Kaitlin’s bedroom.

[....]

The bodies were found by their father, Andrew Austin, on Kaitlin’s bedroom floor, police reports said. Andrew is Ethan’s biological father and had raised Kaitlin from the time she was a baby. Ethan had only just learned they had different fathers.

http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2014/11/24/3278370/police-few-warning-signs-before.html

Hmmmm.... Dad was sexually assaulting sister and little brother wanted to put them both out of their misery and make dad live a sad, regretful rest of his life?

Orrrrr.... sister sexually assaulted brother?

Orrrr..... He was just nuts?

ETA: Should of read up... he raped her, huh? ACK!!

During the weekend, Ethan had a sleepover with a friend, rode bikes through his neighborhood and watched his sister play softball the night before the shooting.

The Kamiakin softball star was getting ready to celebrate an anniversary with her longtime boyfriend, who was leaving for college soon.

So, I am thinking Ethan found out his sister wasn't really his sister and decided he could act upon his confusing sexual desire towards her. During his sleep-over at a friend's house he probably told the friend and the friend probably said "no way she will go for it" Then Sunday night, after the game he confessed his feelings to her, she either A. laughed at him or B. Told him he was gross and needed mental help and she was going to tell their parents.

All day, at school he was thinking about it. Up until the point he got home and she was all pretty for her boyfriend and he snapped. Raped her, killed her, killed himself.

The only thing I find questionable is his ability to over power her.

Read more here: http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2014/11/24/3278370/police-few-warning-signs-before.html#storylink=cpy

The only thing I find questionable is his ability to over power her.

Evidence shows the 16-year-old junior at Kamiakin High School was shot eight times and sexually assaulted.

Keep in mind the chronology of how the article was written ^^ Sounds like the gun took care of the overpowering.
willy_nilly.gif

How F'n sad :(. What a horrible tragedy.
And I guess I was wrong to think at this age he wouldn't be infatuated.

People-- keep your guns locked away without giving the damn ADHD, lovestruck, sexually deviant, mood swinging, temper tantrum throwing, ranging hormone, rapey 6th grade tween the combination to the F'n safe. Worst case scenario she would have whooped his ass and he would have went away for trying to be a little perve.

Does anyone know of a current link for the documentary? The old one on YouTube is dea. I went to rent it on Amazon, but the only option is to subscribe to HBO or to purchase it on DVD.

I'll also keep looking, and if I find the doc in full I'll post it here, too. Lots of clips available online, but they're mostly from the two 11 year old boys in the accidental shooting. The 6 minute clip of them on YouTube made me cry, so I can imagine the rest of it is just as heart wrenching. I hear it's such a good, moving doc.
[doublepost=1516575554,1516574977][/doublepost]Got it to play here -but you have to hit play on the bar at the bottom - if you hit the one in the center of the screen, it takes you to a bunch of spam sites.

http://putlockers.fm/watch/rdmy0kdX-requiem-for-the-dead-american-spring.html

People-- keep your guns locked away without giving the damn ADHD, lovestruck, sexually deviant, mood swinging, temper tantrum throwing, ranging hormone, rapey 6th grade tween the combination to the F'n safe. Worst case scenario she would have whooped his ass and he would have went away for trying to be a little perve.

ADHD does not make a child a killer or a rapist.

That is a shitty stigma.

Guns ought to be locked away, regardless. Not just from ADHD kids.

Last edited:
Back