• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
I just can't get over how overly cooperative the airline crew were. They're beating and dragging passengers who haven't done a damned thing and let this nutter keep an over sized dog in his lap, and the dog had to attack someone before anyone challenged him.

Delta's policy on support animals:

Service/Emotional Support Animal

There is no fee to transport a service or emotional support animal on Delta’s domestic system and many of our international destinations. Documentation is not required for service animals; however, behavior must be consistent with animals in work mode. Customers with mental health-related disabilities must provide a letter from their mental health professional to verify service, an emotional support animal/psychiatric assistance animal provides. The professional’s letterhead must include mailing, email and telephone information. Failure to provide documentation may result in denial of boarding for the emotional support animal. Emotional support animals are expected to respond to the direction of the owner.

https://www.delta.com/content/dam/delta-www/pdfs/Delta_Disability_Brochure_09_06-13-08.pdf

This dog totally didn't qualify. I hope he gets sued. They SHOULD require documentation and only accept actual service animals.

I worked in an airport for a bit at a restaurant and let me tell you. You can tell the dogs that are phony service animals. You can buy that shit on the internet. Real service animals are going to act exactly as you said.

I know someone (blind) with a genuine large service dog, and when there were extra seats open on long flights, flight staff let the dog sleep on the extra seats. In a restaurant, however, he was perfectly well behaved—in harness and quietly sitting on the floor (or just under the table in smaller places, so's he was out of the way). The training of real support animals is a long term thing, and a true blessing for those who need them. :angelic:
[doublepost=1496864386,1496863584][/doublepost]
Service dog or not... He is still a animal!
I don't care if they are the nicest animal on the planet... They are animals... Unpredictable
Maybe the dog felt threatened by the victim. I think the owner was completely irresponsible to bring his dog on the flight. He should of been like everyone else and had his dog fly like the rest of the other animals

Another passenger said that the dog's owner was described by the flight crew as a "combat veteran" and that the man was cradling the dog in his arms in the gate area and that the crew saw him weeping, repeatedly saying, "I know they're going to put him down."

I hope the guy learned a lesson about traveling safely with his dog, and also that they DO NOT put that dog down and re-traumatize the veteran. Dogs are not yet proven to be effective for PTSD, but it's being looked into, and their benefit for other mental/emotional conditions is well known. I also hope the guy who was bitten wasn't hurt too badly and gets some kind of compensation from the airline.

"Owning a dog can lift your mood or help you feel less stressed. Dogs can help people feel better by providing companionship. All dog owners, including those who have posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) can experience these benefits.

"Clinically, there is not enough research yet to know if dogs actually help treat PTSD and its symptoms. Evidence-based therapies and medications for PTSD are supported by research. We encourage you to learn more about these treatments because it is difficult to draw strong conclusions from the few studies on dogs and PTSD that have been done."

https://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/treatment/cope/dogs_and_ptsd.asp

I hope the guy learned a lesson about traveling safely with his dog, and also that they DO NOT put that dog down and re-traumatize the veteran.

But if the dog flips shit again and eats his owner's face this time, it'll be FAR more traumatizing than living without his attack dog. I'm not sure watching your pet royally bloody up a stranger's face is particularly therapeutic either. He can get a new dog that doesn't actually eat people.

if you have a dog that size on you should have to buy all three seats so noone is next to you

Def.

They should put this dog down.

This guy should get rid of it anyways. How is it helping him out at all with his stress disorder if it's attacking and mauling other people? Talk about making a situation MORE stressful.

http://amp.kiro7.com/news/trending-..._campaign=chartbeat_trending&utm_content=news

The man mauled by an emotional support dog on a Delta Air Lines flight in Atlanta was attacked twice and could not escape because he was in a window seat, his attorney said Thursday.

The passenger, Marlin Jackson, of Daphne, Alabama, had facial wounds requiring 28 stitches, according to attorney J. Ross Massey, of Birmingham law firm Alexander Shunnarah & Associates.

“It is troubling that an airline would allow a dog of such substantial size to ride in a passenger’s lap without a muzzle,” Massey said in a written statement. “Especially considering the dog and its owner were assigned a middle seat despite Delta Air Lines’ policies that call for the re-accommodation of larger animals.”

Jackson boarded the San Diego-bound flight on Sunday and went to the window seat. Passenger Ronald Kevin Mundy Jr. was already in the middle seat with his dog in his lap, according to the law firm.

“According to witnesses the approximately 50-pound dog growled at Mr. Jackson soon after he took his seat,” according to the firm’s statement.

“We expect airlines to follow procedures as required and verify any dogs travelling unrestrained in open cabin are trained for handling the large crowds and enclosed environments encountered on board an airplane,” Massey said in the statement.

“The dog continued to act in a strange manner as Mr. Jackson attempted to buckle his seatbelt. The growling increased and the dog lunged for Mr. Jackson’s face. The dog began biting Mr. Jackson, who could not escape due to his position against the plane’s window,” according to the firm’s account.

“The dog was pulled away but broke free from Mr. Mundy’s grasp and attacked Mr. Jackson a second time … The attacks reportedly lasted 30 seconds and resulted in profuse bleeding from severe lacerations to Mr. Jackson’s face, including a puncture through the lip and gum.”

Jackson was taken by ambulance to an emergency room for treatment, then took a later flight to San Diego, according to Delta. He plans to consult a plastic surgeon, the law firm said.

The firm is seeking information on Delta’s “compliance with policies for unrestrained larger animals within a plane’s cabin and the verification process of their emotional support animal training requirements.”

[•••]

The Air Carrier Access Act requires airlines to accommodate service or emotional support animals, within certain guidelines.

Delta’s website says, “A kennel is not required for emotional support animals if they are fully trained and meet the same requirements as a service animal.”

Efforts to reach Mundy, who was not charged, have been unsuccessful. A police report said Mundy was a military service member who “advised that the dog was issued to him for support.”

The U.S. Department of Transportation said it is seeking details about the incident. The DOT says airlines cannot require that service and support animals be carried in a kennel unless there is “a safety-related reason to do so.”

I have an Irish Wolfhound and a Bernese Mountain dog. They are both LARGE animals, but completely docile and gentle. I researched the breeds when my son was born and both are great with children and non-aggressive towards strangers. It's in the dogs genetic makeup.
I know a lot of people love their pitbulls...but no matter how well they are trained...it's in their genetic makeup to attack. For this reason alone they were bred. Anything can set them off...They are ticking timebombs.
[doublepost=1516828528,1516828293][/doublepost]I didn't even know an Emotional Support Dog was a thing?

We have a Bernese Mtn Dog/Lab mix, and he is a dream. Smart, obedient, and loves my grandkids. In about a month we'll be getting an Anatolian Shepherd pup that my d-i-l's parents found. I think I'm gonna need a bigger house!

Back